No New Home For Foles.....

soulman

The Bears quarterback carousel took fans on a wild ride in 2020, but Nick Foles and Mitch Trubisky helped put Chicago in a position to land Justin Fields. Unfortunately for the Bears, they might be stuck with a crowded quarterback room this season.

The Bears looked everywhere for a quarterback upgrade this offseason. Failed trade pursuits, namely for Russell Wilson, ultimately forced general manager Ryan Pace to make a desperate move. So, even with Foles already on the roster for $6.6 million, Chicago signed Andy Dalton for $10 million.

Pace still needed a long-term solution at the position, the only way he might have a shot at staying employed through the year. As Fields slipped down the board in the 2021 NFL Draft, Chicago jumped up to No. 11 and grabbed one of the most talented quarterback prospects in recent years.

Immediately after drafting Fields, Chicago started making calls around the league. With so many NFL teams in need of a quarterback, either to start or as veteran insurance, surely at least one club would be interested in a Super Bowl MVP.

According to NFL insider Adam Caplan, nobody wanted Foles. Pace called every general manager he could reach, and not a single executive was interested in giving up anything for the 32-year-old quarterback.

The lack of interest in Foles shouldn’t be too surprising. While there have been a few bright spots during his NFL career, and he will be remembered in Philadelphia forever, the last few seasons have been rough.

• Nick Foles stats (2019-’20): 2-9 record, 2,588 passing yards, 65% completion rate, 13/10 TD/INT ratio, 6.0 yards per attempt, 81.8 passer rating in 13 games

Chicago thought Foles returning to a familiar scheme would help him return to his former glory. Pace traded a compensatory fourth-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft for Foles in March 2020, and it didn’t take long for the deal to backfire.

After seeing that deal backfire, no one can blame Pace for desperately trying to find a trade partner this offseason. But it’s hard to imagine any team reaching the point of desperation where it would move anything for Foles.

The Bears likely can’t afford to cut Foles either. Designating Foles as a post-June 1 release would actually create a bigger cap hit ($7.66 million) than keeping him on the roster ($6.66 million) would.

It seems Pace and Matt Nagy are set on Dalton opening the season as the Bears' starting quarterback. While that might be a mistake, considering Fields is more talented, paying two backup quarterbacks a combined $17.1 million to sit behind a rookie isn’t an ideal situation for a team tight against the salary cap.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Foles and Quinn moves are real anchors to what we want to do. Desperation moves that flat out blew up in our faces.

I doubt anyone is going to take Foles unless they are desperate during the season.

Someone needs to run around the country leaving banana peels on the floor of every QB room in the league.   LOL

Quinn's guaranteed $$$ is up after 2021.  If he doesn't bounce back this year my guess is we'll release him in 2022 and spread the cap hit out over 2022 and 2023.

• Like 2

I think Quinn was injured, I'm hoping he can at least give us 7-8 sacks next year. That signing was actually a pretty solid one based on his production in Dallas. The Foles and Danny T signings were just bad.

With how desperate teams are for QBs and potential injuries, I can see a team trading a 7th for Foles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I think Quinn was injured, I'm hoping he can at least give us 7-8 sacks next year. That signing was actually a pretty solid one based on his production in Dallas. The Foles and Danny T signings were just bad.

With how desperate teams are for QBs and potential injuries, I can see a team trading a 7th for Foles.

I forgot about Danny T

Quinn

Foles

Graham

Danny T

All done in one offseason... yuck.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

According to NFL insider Adam Caplan, nobody wanted Foles. Pace called every general manager he could reach, and not a single executive was interested in giving up anything for the 32-year-old quarterback.

Some general managers don't take Pace's calls? That's disturbing. Understandable, but disturbing. 😁

8 hours ago, soulman said:

The Bears likely can’t afford to cut Foles either. Designating Foles as a post-June 1 release would actually create a bigger cap hit ($7.66 million) than keeping him on the roster ($6.66 million) would.

Are those figures actually correct? I seem to recall that we've all discussed a post-June 1st hit that was MUCH smaller than that?

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Worst case scenario is he hangs around and maybe helps a rookie, best case (for us) is someone's bridge or vet backup QB gets hurt early and we can move him. Probably not Bradford compensation, but perhaps something...

You really don't think we can get a first for Nick Foles? 😉

5 hours ago, Nads786 said:

He was injured...we know that now. Unfortunately, it was some sort of nerve problem in his foot, and it may be something he'll never fully recover from. We'll find out soon enough. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You really don't think we can get a first for Nick Foles? 😉

Did you ever watch Sam Bradford and think anyone could get a first for him after his rookie year? Jokes aside, it would take some unbelievable circumstances-like "Bears 2021 Draft" circumstances, to get anything of value for Foles who seems shiity and unmotivated to boot.  In my little sport the US team was once down 8-1 races, and in the press conference the team leader said something like "wouldn't it be something if we won from here? It could happen!" the opposing guys head whipped around, and they won the next 8 to take it all. So weird **** happens, but don't count on it. I think at some point we move Foles for a conditional 6th. 

• Like 1

Truth is with Foles he is worth more to us right now than we could get for him for two reasons...1. He along side Dalton have seen a lot during their time in the NFL as as much as he is not a talented QB he is apparently an excellent teammate who wants to help everyone else get better...2. Timing...no one wants to trade for a Nick Foles at this point of the year when hope springs eternal...Foles will be worth something towards the end of camp when a contender starts to panic about the quality of their #2 QB after a shaky camp or in the first few weeks of the year when a QB goes down and someone needs a body to back up their backup.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Truth is with Foles he is worth more to us right now than we could get for him for two reasons...1. He along side Dalton have seen a lot during their time in the NFL as as much as he is not a talented QB he is apparently an excellent teammate who wants to help everyone else get better...2. Timing...no one wants to trade for a Nick Foles at this point of the year when hope springs eternal...Foles will be worth something towards the end of camp when a contender starts to panic about the quality of their #2 QB after a shaky camp or in the first few weeks of the year when a QB goes down and someone needs a body to back up their backup.

Agreed. They should be able to move him at some point.

If not, he becomes the highest paid #3 in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Are those figures actually correct? I seem to recall that we've all discussed a post-June 1st hit that was MUCH smaller than that?

I'd have to look at both OTC and Spotract to verify it.  IIRC there was some confusion about an actual number but if he could just be released without a major cap hit I'm sure it would have been said by now.

• Like 1

Foles is a terrible contract, that basically cost us Fuller....Im just beating a dead horse at this point but Trubisky was truly the worst pick Ive ever seen the Bears make....and Im including Dan Bauzin and Shea McClellin haha

You never know how the draft is gonna shake out, especially at #20, but I dont think we sign Dalton if we knew we would get Fields. I think the Bears fully planned on going to the season with a vet battle and see who wins.

All of that to say, I think we are just stuck with 3 QBs for a year, 2022 is when the "Fields Rebuilds" really will happen

Sidenote: If the Packers dont trade Rodgers this year, he for sure will be gone 2022, The Vikings will have an old Cousins and hopefully Mond sucks haha, And the Lions will still have Goff.....I think we win the division led by Fields in 2022

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I'd have to look at both OTC and Spotract to verify it.  IIRC there was some confusion about an actual number but if he could just be released without a major cap hit I'm sure it would have been said by now.

I thought that we were all discussing a hit hovering around $3 million, not $7 million...

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Im just beating a dead horse at this point but Trubisky was truly the worst pick Ive ever seen the Bears make....and Im including Dan Bauzin and Shea McClellin haha

The Bauzin fiasco was bad. But you're neglecting...

Cade McClown. Curtis enis. John Thierry (NOT a 4-3 DE), Gabe Carimi. Chris Williams. Even Kevin White was a worse pick than Trubisky.

And...

Never mind. This is TOO depressing. I'm out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

I thought that we were all discussing a hit hovering around $3 million, not $7 million...

The Bauzin fiasco was bad. But you're neglecting...

Cade McClown. Curtis Penis. John Thierry (NOT a 4-3 DE), Gabe Carimi. Chris Williams. Even Kevin White was a worse pick than Trubisky.

And...

Never mind. This is TOO depressing. I'm out. 

Haha, the thing is, those picks at least made since, Carimi won like best OL at Wisconsin and Chris Williams was athletic back when athletic OLmen were rare. Enis was back when people still drafted RB's early, and Cade McNown we didnt really pass over anybody.....Mitch, we legit moved up in order to take him over a national champion and Heisman trophy finalist and a future HOFer, because they saw 13 starts at UNC.....like WWWW TTTTTT FFFF haha

• Like 1