Ranking The 10 Fastest Bears On Offense

soulman

Speed kills: Ranking the 10 fastest Bears by their 40-yard dash times

Share this article

USATSI_15206837.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

As we know, speed kills in the NFL. And the Chicago Bears have made it a point to plenty more speed on offense this offseason, as evidenced by 10 offensive players on the roster that run a 4.63 40-time or better.

While wide receiver Darnell Mooney was the fastest player on the Bears last season, two new additions have him beat with their 40-yard times. Even new Bears quarterback Justin Fields has some wheels, where he’s among the top 10 fastest players on offense for Chicago.

Let’s take a look at the Bears’ speedy weapons on offense — from Mooney to Fields to Marquise Goodwin.

RB David Montgomery: 4.63

USATSI_15144935.jpg?resize=1024,682

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

WR Allen Robinson: 4.6

USATSI_15144946.jpg?resize=1024,682

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

WR Dazz Newsome: 4.57

USATSI_15289768.jpg?resize=1024,682

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

RB Khalil Herbert: 4.51

USATSI_15018433.jpg?resize=1024,683

Nell Redmond-USA TODAY Sports

QB Justin Fields: 4.44

USATSI_15962958.jpg?resize=1024,686

USA Today

RB Tarik Cohen: 4.42

usatsi_13218900-1.jpg?resize=1024,732

Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

WR Anthony Miller: 4.38

USATSI_15041046.jpg?resize=1024,682

AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

WR Darnell Mooney: 4.38

USATSI_15118390.jpg?resize=1024,700

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

WR Damiere Byrd: 4.28

USATSI_15182561.jpg?resize=1024,683

Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

WR Marquise Goodwin: 4.27

USATSI_13364051.jpg?resize=1024,797

Joe Maiorana-USA TODAY Sports

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

I don’t know about new guys, but Mooney, Montgomery and Robinson actually play their timed speed and a little more.

Cohen has in past, not so much of late.

Miller does not play that fast and hasn’t since his rookie year.  

Most guys don’t btw.  Why there is a difference between being a track star and a football star.

Rewatching some Bears tape.   Mooney is almost always open.  It’s uncanny.  

Robinson is rarely open by much, but usually makes catch anyway.

• Like 2

Yeah, Monty is a guy who can play faster than his 40 time suggests....

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago he was clocked with one of the fastest play speeds in MPH for week/month...

I'd also say he's done a lot of work to improve that aspect of his game... He looked notably lighter/leaner this past year.

And just going from what I've seen on the field I had absolutely no clue A. Miller was that fast in straight line speed...... Or Tarik Cohen for that fact.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t know about new guys, but Mooney, Montgomery and Robinson actually play their timed speed and a little more.

Montgomery was timed a lot faster than 4.63 at his Pro Day. His real speed is probably somewhere between the two, around 4.5. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Miller does not play that fast and hasn’t since his rookie year.  

Miller's problem is attitude. I don't know that the Bears will ever be able to fix that. Hopefully somebody can...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Miller's problem is attitude. I don't know that the Bears will ever be able to fix that. Hopefully somebody can...

Miller was "The Man" in college.  The guy they would get the ball too as much as possible but he wasn't a disciplined route runner even then.

He put up some nice scores as a rookie but I also recall Mike Furrey talking about the lack of timing and precision in Miller's routes as being a reason his number wasn't called more often.

I suspect Miller wants to be "The Guy" again and it won't happen with him playing in the slot while ARob is the "go to" guy.  Whatever "fixing" Miller needs I believe Miller is gonna have to be the one to fix himself.

Pace will probably keep the door open to trades right up to the trade deadline hoping to get a decent 2022 pick for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Miller was "The Man" in college.  The guy they would get the ball too as much as possible but he wasn't a disciplined route runner even then.

He put up some nice scores as a rookie but I also recall Mike Furrey talking about the lack of timing and precision in Miller's routes as being a reason his number wasn't called more often.

I suspect Miller wants to be "The Guy" again and it won't happen with him playing in the slot while ARob is the "go to" guy.  Whatever "fixing" Miller needs I believe Miller is gonna have to be the one to fix himself.

Pace will probably keep the door open to trades right up to the trade deadline hoping to get a decent 2022 pick for him.

Almost exactly what I've said about Miller in the past. It's a diva thing. Lots of receivers have it. The problem is, if you want to swing your diva complex around, on a team that has Allen Robinson on it, you better be seriously ******* good. Miller's attitude and his work ethic have never aligned properly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I didnt know Miller was a 4.3 guy.....I always thought of him as a possession guy....not tall but just built like a RB

Agreed,  I don't see that kind of speed or explosiveness from him.  He seems quicker than fast,  and doesn't really seem to be that deep threat someone with that speed should be. 

Just seems odd, maybe he had the 40's technical side down pat and that allowed him to time faster than he probably should have? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Having a QB that can threaten all areas of the field will open up more space for guys like Miller, Montgomery, and Cohen. Those guys aren’t necessarily fast but they have enough short area quickness to make guys miss.

You mean Dalton?  Who knows who will be on team in 2022.  

Dalton is going to be starter this year be all accounts. 

Sorry if this gets annoying.  I still just cannot believe the plan is to start Dalton and most Bears fans are down with it. 

I want Fields now.  Don’t care if he sucks his rookie year.  Lets gooooo.  

Every job I ever had I had to learn while doing under pressure, sometimes intense pressure.  

Watching alone slows you down.  Throw a kid in water and get in with him if you want him to learn to swim in a day.  Show him videos and practice strokes on land if you want it take a month. 

My kids never even had training wheels.  Had both riding a bike in a day.  Couple hours really.  Tip: do it on a baseball diamond.  

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I mean Fields. Dalton isn’t a threat with his legs. Fields ability to both run and pass will open things up.

I know.  

I just used your post for an excuse to do a cranky early morning rant. 

• Like 1