Are the N.Y. Giants on the rise, or in football purgatory?

aceinthehouse

Some good pieces are there but I am not at all sold on Daniel Jones and believe he is another case of continuing to start a player and assume/hope he will be good based almost entirely o nthe fact he was drafted first round. 

He's not awful, but strikes me as a career high end backup/stopgap starter, and I believe he would have fallen into this status already had he been taken in the 3rd round or later. 

16 hours ago, Kirill said:

Purgatory. They should've drafted Najee Harris with their first pick after they traded down and got a future 1st on top of some other capital. The pick was a no brainer and they blew it. The broadcasters said it bluntly while they were OTC... they HAVE to get an impact player with this pick, due to the description you described in the OP. And Najee Harris was the most impactful player on the board.

I know they have Saquon Barkley but they're already overworking him and playing him thru injury in low stakes situations. They're going to break him and ruin his "blue jacket" career. When instead they could've had Najee Harris ready to sub in for the following 3 plays and beat the hell out of the defense right after Barkley breaks off one of his signature 50 yard runs then wash, rinse, repeat. Before the draft Harris was asked who the best RB in the NFL was and said Saquon no question, so I doubt Saquon would've been mad about the pick, it's not a Rodgers/Love situation. And overall they could've ran a RPO heavy offense to help save Daniel Jones career.

But they drafted Kadarius Toney instead. Another GM fails to listen to Kirill, another one bites the dust.

I honestly can't tell if this is well written sarcasm, or if you're serious. 

If the prior -  great job, you got me

If the latter - lol

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 2

I don't know how you spend a high first round pick on a quarterback who averaged 6.4 yards per attempt in college. Granted, quarterback position is difficult to translate but that number is so low it basically screams at lack of sufficient upside. Jones has played to his past performance chart, averaging basically the same thing in the NFL. It's the reasons all the analytics guys were literally laughing when Jones was picked that high. 

Fortunately for Daniel Jones, he does have legs, and the league does not spit out quarterbacks of that level so decisively anymore. The rules allow him to hang around and regulate the Giants. 

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

I honestly can't tell if this is well written sarcasm, or if you're serious. 

If the prior -  great job, you got me

If the latter - lol

I'm being deadass I said the same thing in the live draft thread. Harris, Barkley, Daniel Jones is one of the best rushing attacks of all time.

I think it's much easier to construct a winning team had you drafted Harris than anyone else cuz it adds value to your best player and at least makes your team unstoppable in one sense

Edited by Kirill

I see 4-13, and last year for both Jones and Gettlemen. So obviously I’m not too high on them… I just don’t see Jones as the guy, and their roster is far from good on paper. The offense as a whole and pass defense are still super-suspect. 

18 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I'm being deadass I said the same thing in the live draft thread. Harris, Barkley, Daniel Jones is one of the best rushing attacks of all time.

I think it's much easier to construct a winning team had you drafted Harris than anyone else cuz it adds value to your best player and at least makes your team unstoppable in one sense

Running backs are not a good investment in today's NFL.  In hindsight, Saquon at #2 was a bad pick.  You should not draft a running back until the 3rd or 4th round.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I see 4-13, and last year for both Jones and Gettlemen. So obviously I’m not too high on them… I just don’t see Jones as the guy, and their roster is far from good on paper. The offense as a whole and pass defense are still super-suspect. 

The Giants were league average in terms of EPA / pass play allowed.  And they added Adoree Jackson, 3rd round pick Aaron Robinson, and are getting Xavier McKinney back from injury.  On paper the Giants arguably have a top 5 secondary.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

4-13? We got 4 wins out of the division alone when we had a suspect secondary last year. Daniel Jones had to learn a new playbook  and did not have a real offseason or preseason games last year to help with his development. He is now used to this offense, he will have an upgrade in wideouts and tight ends to throw to. The secondary has been vastly improved and is the strength of this team. Even our schedule on paper so far is easier than last year. 

How did we get 2 games worst when we are playing an extra game this season?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

4-13? We got 4 wins out of the division alone when we had a suspect secondary last year. Daniel Jones had to learn a new playbook  and did not have a real offseason or preseason games last year to help with his development. He is now used to this offense, he will have an upgrade in wideouts and tight ends to throw to. The secondary has been vastly improved and is the strength of this team. Even our schedule on paper so far is easier than last year. 

How did we get 2 games worst when we are playing an extra game this season?

An average of 8 teams a year finish with 5 or less wins. I would love for you to name yours. Odds are, they all made similar strides as the Giants, outside of the Texans and Lions. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

An average of 8 teams a year finish with 5 or less wins. I would love for you to name yours. Odds are, they all made similar strides as the Giants, outside of the Texans and Lions. 

Jets, Eagles, Texans, Bengals, Jaguars 

Now can you answer my question, what did the Giants do to all of sudden by two games worst than they were last year.

17 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Jets, Eagles, Texans, Bengals, Jaguars 

Now can you answer my question, what did the Giants do to all of sudden by two games worst than they were last year.

You can legit say this about every team that is not the Texans or Lions. Literally. Every team makes strides and gets better, every year. I’m sure Eagles and Bengals fans for example will ask you the same question right now and also be offended with your prediction. And also, more than 5 teams will finish with 5 or less wins. 6 minimum, and probably 7-8. 

- I’m not a believer in Daniel Jones. Don’t like your WR core. Don’t like your OC. Don’t like your secondary (Adoree Jackson is average, and I was not high on McKinney what so ever in the draft, he is slower than dirt), and the roster in general is not that good. 

- Cowboys have Dak back. 

- Washington has a Top 3 Defense in the NFL and Fitzpatrick blows any QB they had last year out of the water. Not even close. 

- You guys face the AFC West. Easily all four teams better than the Giants on paper. 1-3 there at best. 

- Face the NFC South. About even with Carolina on paper, the other three teams clearly have better rosters. Another situation where I see 1-3 at best.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2