Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Kiltman

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Thats the thing though....Marvel didnt really do anything special.

Its more a testament to how many morons are in Hollywood.

This doesn't make much sense. If they are the only ones that are good at it, and everyone else is bad, then they did something special. Am I missing something? If creating a wildly successful franchise spanning multiple mediums that rakes in this kinda cash wasn't special, especially with the prime example right in front of them, someone else would be doing it. This is special my man. 

12 hours ago, 43M said:

LARGELY true to the source material

I don't agree with this at all. I think I need you to expand on what you mean by largely. At most, IMO, they kept the base but built something entirely different on top. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Ok, so this looked pretty bad.

But what is going to really ruin the movie for me is the dues ex machina or stupid plot reason Venom is able to defeat Carnage in the end.  I already know the explanation of Venom's victory is going to be horrible.

I just realized Andy Serkis is the director.

A dude known for his CGI acting won't let the CGI be this bad in the final cut.  I actually have more hope for this knowing he is the director.

12 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

We keep saying it's simple, but everyone else keeps failing time and time again.  At this point I think the Fast and the Furious movies might be the second most successful extended universe, and there is like 2.5 decent movies in that entire franchise.

Again...is it that Marvel made it look easy or that others just make it look harder due to lack of ability to put together good movies?

Im not necessarily saying its "easy" in general.   What Im saying is its not like WB is putting out good content and its just not have success.   They are putting out mostly trash and it shows in the returns.     Same with most of these other studios.  

Marvel did it right, but none of it was exactly "special".    Most of it was, IMO, pretty basic and common sense. 

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

This doesn't make much sense. If they are the only ones that are good at it, and everyone else is bad, then they did something special.  

3 years ago I was contracted to work for an outside company for a few months.      There were 4 others I worked directly with, and none of them had any clue how to use the software we were using, so I spent most of my time showing them how to do things or fixing their mistakes, and I was the only one who received a positive evaluation at the end.

Was it because I was special?   No.   It was simply because I was seemingly the only one hired based on qualifications needed to do the job.

Hollywood is full of mostly trash and people making the decisions often have no clue what they are doing.

If you want to label it as "special" within the Hollywood bubble....sure, and maybe I will agree with it.   Overall though...no.

Am I missing something? If creating a wildly successful franchise spanning multiple mediums that rakes in this kinda cash wasn't special, especially with the prime example right in front of them, someone else would be doing it. This is special my man. 

Youre speaking about the ACCOMPLISHMENT.       Yes....the ACCOMPLISHMENT was special.    The END RESULT was special.

What I AM saying is NOT special is HOW they set out to achieve it....

1) Vision from the beginning (seems pretty basic when starting a universe)

2) People passionate about the material   (Within Hollywood this is hard to do....but they are out there)

3) Stayed true to what the main characters were (not saying no MINOR changes were made, but they didnt completely change and utterly destroy main characters like WB did with characters like the Joker and Lex Luthor.)

4)  Kept it simple (non of the stories or character arcs were complicated.   They cast based on who fit the roles.    They developed the characters properly without rushing it. )

I dont see any of that as "special".   

And just so we are clear....thats a COMPLIMENT to Marvel.     

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't agree with this at all. I think I need you to expand on what you mean by largely. At most, IMO, they kept the base but built something entirely different on top. 

Maybe largely wasnt the right word.     I didnt mean they followed the stories from the comics to a T.   I meant that they didnt deviate too much from what the characters were....especially early on.      And once they established those characters, they continued to develop them properly. 

Once they did that....THEN they were able to take some more creative liberties, and when they did, they made sense.    Pretty much exact opposite of what we have seen from WB.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

We keep saying it's simple, but everyone else keeps failing time and time again.  At this point I think the Fast and the Furious movies might be the second most successful extended universe, and there is like 2.5 decent movies in that entire franchise.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s really that simple either. Reason why Marvel is successful is because of Feige. There simply aren’t people like him that built up their career in movies/entertainment and are such a hardcore nerd for what they are doing. He blended it perfectly and it’s lead to all this. Along with the team he surrounds himself with.

Also the fact that they have the comics and know they have the market to setup stuff in advance can’t be overstated. If they were writing this stuff down as they went I’m not sure it’d be as smooth.

I think as far as the content goes the biggest difference seems to be that top down Marvel cares about what’s being put out. They care about their characters, the world and the investment put into it by them/fans. They are so good at taking little moments and giving them more heart & meaning than full what others do in full 2+ hour movies.

11 hours ago, 43M said:

Was it because I was special?   No.   It was simply because I was seemingly the only one hired based on qualifications needed to do the job.

By definition, since you were the ONLY ONE, you were special in that circumstance. You were the Fiege in that situation. We are arguing semantics at this point for this part but I do believe someone who can do something no one else can do is pretty special. Whether that's because the field just doesn't have the knowledge or skill or because you are the best at that knowledge/skill is irrelevant. 

11 hours ago, 43M said:

Maybe largely wasnt the right word.     I didnt mean they followed the stories from the comics to a T.   I meant that they didnt deviate too much from what the characters were....especially early on.      And once they established those characters, they continued to develop them properly. 

Once they did that....THEN they were able to take some more creative liberties, and when they did, they made sense.    Pretty much exact opposite of what we have seen from WB.  

The only counterpoint to that would be the Guardians. They were completely different in the comics prior to the film; now the comics have retconned them to match the film version. That being said, it was a property even a lot of comics fans didnt have a strong knowledge of. Honestly I imagine Fiege and Gunn talking about working together in the MCU and Fiege being like I really like your style and want it in the MCU and Gunn telling him how much creative liberty he wants to take and Fiege is just like... here do what you want with this lol

The first one wasnt a great movie but I enjoyed watching it.  I will probably enjoy this one as well even though it looks awful. Although I had really low expectations for the first one and they may be slightly too high for the second now because I enjoyed the first one, likely due to the low expectations. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, Kiltman said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s really that simple either. Reason why Marvel is successful is because of Feige. There simply aren’t people like him that built up their career in movies/entertainment and are such a hardcore nerd for what they are doing. He blended it perfectly and it’s lead to all this. Along with the team he surrounds himself with.

Also the fact that they have the comics and know they have the market to setup stuff in advance can’t be overstated. If they were writing this stuff down as they went I’m not sure it’d be as smooth.

I think as far as the content goes the biggest difference seems to be that top down Marvel cares about what’s being put out. They care about their characters, the world and the investment put into it by them/fans. They are so good at taking little moments and giving them more heart & meaning than full what others do in full 2+ hour movies.

The point about having the comics doesn't really differentiate marvel and DC movies, Warner Media owns DC... They have the comics too... They just don't synergize the comics and movies like marvel does.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, THE DUKE said:

Well, my 10 (soon to be 11) year old is pretty jazzed about this.  I might have to break down and watch the first one.

It's fine if you don't go in expecting anything mindblowing. It's just an entertaining superhero movie. 

People just hold everything to this unreal standard lately where if the movie isn't a classic, it's trash. 

• Like 2