Young Bears Who Need to Step Up

WindyCity

Obviously the Bears have some holes on the roster and they are not stacked with resources this year or next. 

What are your power rankings of younger/unheralded Bears that would be a huge boost if they turned into legit players.

1. Ifedi/Borom

Obviously, Justin Fields is the priority. Getting solid consistent, maybe even above average, OT play from one of these guys at RT would benefit Fields and allow the Bears to focus next offseason on other areas of need.

2. Kindle Vildor

If he could become a solid CB2 that would be a massive win for the Bears for 2021, and allow them some flexibility in 2022. As of right now CB2 is probably the short term and long term position I am most concerned about.

3. Cole Kmet

It would be a big boost if he could take a step as a receiver and give the Bears a complete TE for the first time in a decade. It would also give them a long term player at a difficult position to fill.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

3. Cole Kmet

It would be a big boost if he could take a step as a receiver and give the Bears a complete TE for the first time in a decade. It would also give them a long term player at a difficult position to fill.

I'd like to see him get a little bit quicker/faster if possible. Kid still comes off as stiff to me "on tape", but I'm trying to be understanding in that he was a dual sport athlete up until last season.

My #1 is Jaylen Johnson....this kid basically needs to step up from a rookie from Utah, to CB1 on a veteran defense and replace a pro bowler.

My #2 is James Daniels.....2nd round pick who was pretty highly touted....he needs to be playing good football this year, plain and simple

My #3 is David Montgomery....he cant be icing on the cake anymore.....he needs to straight up be the lead tailback for a playoff team....no more, "well he's young and developing"....kind of the same point I was making with Jaylen, these guys need to need to be full blown men, not just young guys we are watching.

• Like 1

1. Jaylon Johnson...I am not sure he really needs to "Step Up" because he was excellent when healthy as a rookie but he is going to need to be the clear #1 guy at CB this season and stay consistent even when asked to cover the best of the best.

2. Cole Kmet...I suspect we will see Fields at some point this season and it is clear when any rookie QB plays having a reliable TE is always a huge advantage...Kmet was coming on towards the end of last year so he now needs to continue that ascension.

3. Trevis Gipson...bit of an outside one but we need to be able to generate more pass rush and need to find that #3 guy...Gipson has the skill set to become an excellent rotational piece for his but he needs to start getting home.

• Like 1

Kmet’s last 5 regular season games in 2020: 20/149/1 on 30 targets. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that he puts up 2020 Dalton Schultz numbers (63/615/4) at minimum if he’s the 16 game starter I think we all expect him to be. I do think he’s gonna get TDs vultured by Graham but I don’t care about that so much because Bears TDs are Bears TDs, but him being a weekly asset and factor in the passing game is my expectation. Dalton utilizes his TEs really well, and Fields’ run ability should get him more favorable matchups.

I also think it’s vital that Mooney takes another step for us. With more capable QB play the big plays should be there to be had where they were missed last year. Mooney being Fields’ Chris Olave for us would make our offense legitimately dangerous. 

#1 The obvious answer is Fields..... since he's more important than the rest combined.

#2 Barring that obvious outlier, Kmet is far and away my answer.....  Graham was good in the red zone, but seemingly useless anywhere else last year, and Kmet is basically the only other TE on the roster. Wouldn't be shocked if we picked up a guy on the cheap, tbh.   Fields needs all his weapons firing on all cylinders, and Kmet has to be a big part of that.

#3 for me is actually going to be Cohen... He's a weird case for me because I feel like he's underutilzed for his talent level, but also overutilized in that he hasn't been super effective.... This year, he's also coming off an injury and has his new contract to go out and earn/live up to. It's time to see if he can really be a fixture on the offense instead of the pure gadget/gimmick part timer he has been.

#4 Teven Jenkins Leno.... is gone, but starting at either tackle spot as a rookie is a lot to handle.   I'm a little torn with him, since I did like him more at RT, to smash the ball on that right side, but it would appear he's the LT now, and that's a massive weight on a dude's shoulders, when he's gonna be protecting two statues and a rookie.

'#5 Larry Borom..... Maybe I'm higher on this kid than I should be and lower on  some of our actual roster than I should be, but I think this could could end up starting this year as well.... He was phenomenal in the SEC statistically.... and like Jenkins may very well end up a starter in the front 5 day 1..... for the same reasons as above, it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

'#5 Larry Borom..... Maybe I'm higher on this kid than I should be and lower on  some of our actual roster than I should be, but I think this could could end up starting this year as well.... He was phenomenal in the SEC statistically.... and like Jenkins may very well end up a starter in the front 5 day 1..... for the same reasons as above, it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

Said the same thing in the OL thread.....Ifedi went from a signing nobody even liked to our starting RT and Mustipher went from UDFA to "played pretty good" on a line we all know was bad

Whitehair is a straight up pro bowl center....moving him to start Mustipher, over just leaving him at C and starting Borom isn't the craziest of ideas....also Ifedi is good at OG, he was bad at OT

Edited by MonserinNC

These are the spots that we do not seem to have a locked in player for 2022 and the in house options that we may have.

WR1-Robinson [10]
WR3-
UTE-
RT-Borom
RG-Daniels [6]

CB2-Vildor
NB-Graham
LE-Edwards
RE-Nichols [6]
ILB2-
OLB2-Gipson
SS-

Obviously, this list is long and some in house candidates will step up or have to be relied on. But it will be interesting to see which of these needs remain after the season.