Roster Projection: QB and RB

WindyCity

QB [3]: Dalton, Fields, Foles

Obviously, the dream scenario is that Fields grabs the job early in camp, Dalton becomes a backup veteran mentor, and someone loses a QB and trade for Foles.

It seems unlikely based on recent reporting that Foles is going to be tradeable so he will become the highest paid assistant QB coach in the history of the league and hopefully earn his money as a mentor for Fields. I do not expect Dalton, if he starts week 1, to make it much past week 3 or 4.

Short Term: Good

Long Term: We are going to need a cost-effective backup who can do a little bit more of what Fields can do.

RB [4]: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Hebert

This is another one that is easy to predict. 

-The Bears finally have some actual depth behind Montgomery

-They finally have a KR making an appropriate amount of money.

-I am intrigued to see how they use Williams as he seems to be a blend of Cohen and Monty.

Short Term: Rock solid and better depth than we have ever had.

Long Term: No need 3/4 guys are under contract for 2022.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think if Miller is traded that would be the plan for sure. Cohen and mixing in Newsome a little here and there.

True but I'm thinking even if Miller is around, and we want to run Y-Cross (for example), you can put Robinson and Miller (or Goodwin) on the outside with Mooney and Cohen (or Goodwin) in the slot. Lot of speed to cover.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

True but I'm thinking even if Miller is around, and we want to run Y-Cross (for example), you can put Robinson and Miller (or Goodwin) on the outside with Mooney and Cohen (or Goodwin) in the slot. Lot of speed to cover.

They could phase Miller out. I would like to see some of him with real QB play.

If that is the plan I pray we can flip him for a pick and not waste him on the bench.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I would like to see some of him with real QB play.

That's fair. However, it's going on season 4 and this dude still can't run precise routes (per his head coach and position coach). Something alarming to be said about that, IMO.

Still, I'd like to see him find some success and grow the F up.

• Like 1

QB...Dalton...Fields...Foles...

These three guys are a lock just in terms of talent and contract...still would love to move Foles at some point but I feel that is down the road.

RB...Montgomery...Cohen...Williams...Hebert...

Where it gets interest is at running back with Damien Williams and how he reacts to the year off...the skill set is clearly there to play in this offence but what will happen following the year off? Will he come back rejuvenated and with fresh legs or rusty? Time will tell but if he can be a real every down backup to Monty then it would be a massive help and allows us to use Cohen in more unique ways...I have always liked Pierce but I do feel Herbet beats him out because he is more explosive and adds return ability.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pierce to me is the PR running back. 

I think we need to keep guys around and developing... because the smart thing to do might be to let Monty walk when his contract comes up.

Herbert, maybe the 2024 starter.

I think with the RB spot it is plug and play if you let one walk...developing a guy isn't really a thing...it will purely come down to money with Monty and what he thinks he is worth vs the now lowered value of the position.

• Like 1

This group is easy...we keep all of them

Dalton, Foles, Field.....its just contract....Foles collects whatever this year for one year of work last year, I received a severance package I didn't really deserve once too

Montgomery and Williams are the RB's, Cohen plays all gadget roles, Khalil is basically a KR/PR or to the practice squad

On 5/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, G08 said:

I tentatively could see Cohen playing a bunch in the slot as well.

Agreed. I think Nagy makes him more of a WR than a HB. He tested the waters there and I feel like he thinks Tru was more of the reason for that failing than Cohen. 

That's why think Williams gets more carries than Cohen, though Cohen likely doubles any other RB in rec.

8 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Montgomery and Williams are the RB's, Cohen plays all gadget roles, Khalil is basically a KR/PR or to the practice squad

I'm good with all three being active, honestly. Montgomery/Williams/Herbert split the carries, and yeah Cohen gets all the gadget roles (motion guy with all the sweeps, screens, etc.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. I think Nagy makes him more of a WR than a HB. He tested the waters there and I feel like he thinks Tru was more of the reason for that failing than Cohen. 

That's why think Williams gets more carries than Cohen, though Cohen likely doubles any other RB in rec.

I like that all of our RBs are legitimate assets in the passing game. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like that all of our RBs are legitimate assets in the passing game. 

True. I'd like to see us do the NE HB option route. HB goes out and up just outside of the TE's start point, reads inside or outside leverage from his man, and cuts in or out accordingly. Some wheel routes, arrows, hooks, etc. 

I'm not expecting McCaffery of course but they should be reliable safety nets that break a few big this year with the talent there.