Roster Projection: WR and TE

WindyCity

FWIW.......

Bears’ motivational message to Anthony Miller: ‘We don’t need you’

Adam Hoge: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-motivational-message-anthony-miller-162213059.html

Wed, May 12, 2021, 10:22 AM

Bears' message to Anthony Miller: 'We don't need you' originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

Despite some efforts to trade Anthony Miller, the fourth-year wide receiver is still on the Bears’ roster, which means the current plan is to encourage him to mature as a professional as he faces the threat of losing his job.

And wide receivers coach Mike Furrey was blunt with that reality Wednesday.

“It's not going to be a need-base, you know -- we don't need you,” Furrey said. “We've got guys that are going to be able to produce. You better be a pro, you better be on your details, you better do what we're asking you to do.”

After falling out of favor during the 2020 season and ending it with an ejection in the Bears’ playoff loss to the Saints that drew public criticism from chairman George McCaskey, it’s somewhat surprising Miller is still on the roster. The Bears either haven’t been able to trade Miller or haven’t received a good enough offer to warrant moving on. The wideout has shown a lot of talent in three years and only costs $1.7 million against the salary cap, so there’s not a ton of risk in hoping he puts it altogether in a contract year. For now, that appears to be the plan.

“Anthony's been in our meetings, he's been doing a great job, we haven't skipped a beat at all, so you know he's doing his job,” Furrey said. “He's growing up, he's maturing, he's understanding all the things that we've talked about really for the last couple years.”

But this is not the first time the coaching staff has talked about the need to mature and Furrey delivered another honest answer when asked if he believes Miller will be different this time:

“I haven't yet. You know, you've got to see it. Everybody at this level, there's so much talk, but at this level it's all about what you show and what you put on film and obviously he's been doing great so far and he'll prove that when he gets here in the offseason.”

Meanwhile, the Bears have added plenty of competition at the slot receiver position this offseason. Veterans Marquise Goodwin and Damiere Byrd were signed and rookie Dazz Newsome was drafted in the sixth round. As Furrey put it, the Bears don’t need Miller anymore – or at least that’s the message they’re sending him as motivation.

“There's a small increment in improvement so he's done great, he's been in our rooms, no issues. He's been alert, he's been attentive and he's doing what we're asking him to do so it's going to be fun. i think the biggest thing is going to be need,” Furrey said.

Miller undoubtedly has the highest upside among the Bears’ options, but it won’t matter if he doesn’t master the offensive system and execute the details. Time and time again, that’s been the issue.

“Obviously with the veteran quarterback in Andy (Dalton) and a young quarterback in Justin (Fields), you're going to have to be where you're supposed to be,” Furrey said. “If not, Andy's going to fix it. If not, you're going to make Justin look bad which is not what we want. So, it's going to be fun, so far he's been great.”

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The guy who put together these cuts didn’t do the 2nd half of the season, but that’s almost 400 potential yards missed just thru week 7 to Mooney just on QB misses. Hit even half of those and we’re talking about a borderline 1000 yard rookie season. I’m all for guarded optimism, but Mooney stands to see the biggest spike in production with Fields under center of any of our players. 

Oh I'm not fighting you at all on this....just saying, a Mercedes still needs insurance.....Mooney is great, but we can't just say he is the answer at #2 just yet....plus just general injuries, sophomore slumps, fatigue, etc.....we are asking a sophomore to start 16 games

I think Byrd gets decent playing time, Goodwin may be a veteran cut unless he plays special teams

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mooney Plays W1-4

2:13 (incompletion): miss by Foles; a better throw is a 33-yd TD 

3:01 (incompletion): bad miss by Foles negates a gain of 5+

3:26 (incompletion): terrible miss by Foles. An average throw gains 35. A good throw is probably an 84-yd TD.

3:43 (incompletion): bad throw by Foles misses a wide open Mooney for a 22-yd gain.

Mooney Plays W5-7

0:17 (incompletion): Mooney behind the D by 5 yards; Foles misses a 52-yd TD 

0:42 (incompletion): Underthrown deep ball by Foles on a 50/50 ball 40 yards down the field 

2:13 (incompletion): Mooney breaks open behind the DB and Foles misses him for 45+

2:33 (incompletion): Mooney breaks open early on a double move and Foles misses. Foles under pressure, but a good throw gets 30-85 yds.

The guy who put together these cuts didn’t do the 2nd half of the season, but that’s almost 400 potential yards missed just thru week 7 to Mooney just on QB misses. Hit even half of those and we’re talking about a borderline 1000 yard rookie season. I’m all for guarded optimism, but Mooney stands to see the biggest spike in production with Fields under center of any of our players. 

People said very similar things about Anthony Miller after his rookie season...

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We never really upgraded the QB position after Miller's rookie year though.

That's absolutely true. I still think Miller can be an NFL receiver if he's paired with a decent QB. I'm also optimistic about Mooney.

I just think we need to be careful with expectations for some of these younger skill players. Not every player follows a linear development path.

Miller and Mooney both have great upside but we should also pay attention to what Pace did and what Mike Furrey emphasized as it relates to Miller at any rate.  We signed Goodwin whose also a very fast "Z" WR.  We signed Byrd whose a very fast Slot WR.  And we drafted Newsome who while not as fast was still a very productive college Slot WR and PR.  There's gonna be some decent competition.

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

That's absolutely true. I still think Miller can be an NFL receiver if he's paired with a decent QB. I'm also optimistic about Mooney.

I just think we need to be careful with expectations for some of these younger skill players. Not every player follows a linear development path.

This is true, though the things we heard and saw with Miller about mental lapses and not knowing the offense were present even during that successful rookie season. We haven’t had any of those types of concerns with Mooney at all. Miller’s issues have never been about ability. If he can get the mental part of his game right he can be a REALLY good receiver in the NFL. He has a ton of talent. Were that not the case he’d surely already be off our roster.

Miller starting out the offseason presumably somewhat in the dog house could actually end up being a really good thing in that it may mean a ton of early reps for him with Fields where he can build some early chemistry. It shouldn’t take this, but maybe the prospect of playing with a legitimate talent at QB who isn’t constantly missing him when big plays are open for him is the push he needs to finally take his game to that next level, or at least back to his 2018 rookie season level. Getting 2018 Miller and 2020 Mooney, with a significant reduction in the missed big plays to them from QBs who can’t hit passes beyond 15 yards, along with Robinson would give us a ton to work with on the outside, and that’s before we even factor in whatever we get from Kmet, Graham or the RBs in the passing game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is true, though the things we heard and saw with Miller about mental lapses and not knowing the offense were present even during that successful rookie season. We haven’t had any of those types of concerns with Mooney at all. Miller’s issues have never been about ability. If he can get the mental part of his game right he can be a REALLY good receiver in the NFL. He has a ton of talent. Were that not the case he’d surely already be off our roster.

Miller starting out the offseason presumably somewhat in the dog house could actually end up being a really good thing in that it may mean a ton of early reps for him with Fields where he can build some early chemistry. It shouldn’t take this, but maybe the prospect of playing with a legitimate talent at QB who isn’t constantly missing him when big plays are open for him is the push he needs to finally take his game to that next level, or at least back to his 2018 rookie season level. Getting 2018 Miller and 2020 Mooney, with a significant reduction in the missed big plays to them from QBs who can’t hit passes beyond 15 yards, along with Robinson would give us a ton to work with on the outside, and that’s before we even factor in whatever we get from Kmet, Graham or the RBs in the passing game. 

I also do not think there is a huge role for WR3.

When you consider the Bears are likely to run more 2 TE sets now that Kmet is up and running. They also get Cohen back which will eat into slot reps and targets.

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

When you consider the Bears are likely to run more 2 TE sets now that Kmet is up and running. They also get Cohen back which will eat into slot reps and targets.

Nagy is an offensive coordinator, not really a QB guru he has been billed as

I think Cohen moves around a ton, including slot, TE, out wide

We have 2 very capable RB's.....plus Fields is gonna be fun.....I think the offense really gets crazy this year.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I'd rather see some combination of Cohen, Miller, Goodwin, Mooney, Byrd, etc. than a year-older Graham.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I was thinking with Fields’ mobility we may look to go 3 and 4 wide more often to get less bodies around the LOS and create some more scramble lanes. I’d guess Kmet’s anticipated spike in reps will come mostly from Graham’s share. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Nagy is an offensive coordinator, not really a QB guru he has been billed as

I think Cohen moves around a ton, including slot, TE, out wide

We have 2 very capable RB's.....plus Fields is gonna be fun.....I think the offense really gets crazy this year.

wait...you think cohen is gonna be put at TE?