Jump to content

Roster Projection: OL


WindyCity

Recommended Posts

OL [9]

LT: Jenkins, Hambright

LG: Whithair, Bars

ūüėĄ Mustipher

RG: Daniels, Wilkerson

RT: Ifedi/Borom

I think you need to keep 9 guys on the line, with 8 active on game day, because you have a bunch of ? marks on the line and thus way you have enough guys to weather it.

The starting 5 seem locked in. I think you let Borom compete with Ifedi, but my guess is the experience wins out. 

Bars showed enough last year that I think you keep him.

Hambright, may not make it, but he is the one backup with significant LT experience in case Jenkins falters or gets injured.

 

Short Term: This is the most enthused I have been with a group the Bears have had in a long time.

Long Term: Daniels is a free agent, we need Mustipher to continue to show improvement, and then it is all about RT. Are Ifedi or Borom the RT for the next 3-4 years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think people continue to underrate Bars who is a pretty good football player. Not a great one, but a good one.  Maybe because he was UDFA.  

 Ifedi is actually really good, but continues to have lapses where he kinda sucks for a long stretch before he rights himself.  Why I think he was hated in Seattle.  When those come in key moments they can really stick in your craw.  I think his true problem is something mental rather than physical.  

Daniels really needs to step up and be the player he can be.  That would be huge as he is most talented of all Bears linemen probably including Jenkins.  Not sure what is holding him back.

My concern with Mustipher is a lack of power.  But he maximizes his ability.  

This line could start bad and finish strong with good coaching.  

Obviously did better last year when they stopped going with name brands and went with guys who were getting it done.  Coaches need to learn to play best guy, not where a guy was drafted or how he is paid or his reputation or lack thereof.

Now sprinkle in some true talent Jenkins and Daniels and see where it goes.  

Process of shaping and developing an O line to me is as interesting as anything.  

I would love to be there for every practice from day one and see the decision making process even if I had no part in it.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not think this group will start bad. The interior is solid, and this is more OT talent than we have had in a decade.

The issue for me is that there might only be one difference maker in the group in Jenkins. The ceiling may be solid, which I will take in 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like last offseason I was the only one high on Ifedi, now I think you guys are TOO high on him haha

He was the most penalized guy in the league at RT, and Mustipher was fine but that line was bad, I dont get why he is just the assumed starter

LT-Jenkins

LG-Ifedi

C-Whitehair

RG-Daniels

RT-Borom

Could be wrong though, 2 rookie OT's would be rough Im just saying

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LT...Jenkins...Wilkinson

LG...Whitehair...Bars

C...Mustipher

RG...Daniels

RT...Ifedi...Borom

I think we only carry 8 on the active roster and a few more guys on the PS than we usually would...I think playing Whitehair next to Jenkins would be a good idea just due to the lack of experience...the same as I feel having the more athletic Daniels on the right side could help Ifedi be able to set wider and use his length at OT...Mustipher was a pleasant surprise when he came into the starting lineup last year and really sured up the position...Wilkinson is a another really big bodied long OT for Castillo to work with...Bars was solid in the starting lineup last year...Borom is also obviously a lock...best thing with this group is 3 of them have experience at centre...7 of them have played guard...5 have played OT...that allows you to only carry 8 and given another player at a different position to the special teams coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

LT...Jenkins...Wilkinson

LG...Whitehair...Bars

C...Mustipher

RG...Daniels

RT...Ifedi...Borom

I think we only carry 8 on the active roster and a few more guys on the PS than we usually would...I think playing Whitehair next to Jenkins would be a good idea just due to the lack of experience...the same as I feel having the more athletic Daniels on the right side could help Ifedi be able to set wider and use his length at OT...Mustipher was a pleasant surprise when he came into the starting lineup last year and really sured up the position...Wilkinson is a another really big bodied long OT for Castillo to work with...Bars was solid in the starting lineup last year...Borom is also obviously a lock...best thing with this group is 3 of them have experience at centre...7 of them have played guard...5 have played OT...that allows you to only carry 8 and given another player at a different position to the special teams coach.

I think 8 on the active roster is a risk. You would have to be confident in a guy being able to get to the PR.

If the plan is Wilkinson as the backup at LT... we probably need to go back jnto free agency and look for a backup there. Wilkinson struggled at RT last season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think 8 on the active roster is a risk. You would have to be confident in a guy being able to get to the PR.

If the plan is Wilkinson as the backup at LT... we probably need to go back jnto free agency and look for a backup there. Wilkinson struggled at RT last season 

I think it is a better plan than Hambright who barely played...at least Wilkinson has some idea of NFL game speed...

I just don't think we dedicate 9 guys to the roster on the OL because of the versatility within the group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Bears would like it to be Jenkins/Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels/Borom, with Ifedi and Bars as multi-position backups. Having our best OL in Whitehair next to Jenkins (and Mustipher) makes a ton of sense to me, and he himself is better at LG than C anyway IMO. Mustipher being between 2 veterans who have both also played C should help him out too. I’m not convinced Borom beats out Ifedi right away at RT, but that bar isn’t super high either.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the Bears would like it to be Jenkins/Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels/Borom, with Ifedi and Bars as multi-position backups. Having our best OL in Whitehair next to Jenkins (and Mustipher) makes a ton of sense to me, and he himself is better at LG than C anyway IMO. Mustipher being between 2 veterans who have both also played C should help him out too. I’m not convinced Borom beats out Ifedi right away at RT, but that bar isn’t super high either.

Borom grabbing the RT spot would be an awesome. Him and Jenkins holding it down would be an incredible value.

Going into next season with a secure and ascending OL would save a ton of resources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Brad Biggs predicts:

Jenkins / Whitehair / Mustipher / Daniels / Ifedi

That is all it can be. Borom hopefully takes the job from Ifedi, but legit competition may raise Ifedi’s game.

Bars inside is a nice swing backup.

It is amazing what having actual NFL depth feels like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...