Colts sign Eric Fisher

NVRamsFan

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Didn't he tear his achilles late last year? Is he even going to play this year?

He did. 

My understanding is that he'll be close to ready to go if not completely ready by the time the season starts. That being said, I certainly wouldn't expect him to play well this year, but I've certainly been wrong before. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He did. 

My understanding is that he'll be close to ready to go if not completely ready by the time the season starts. That being said, I certainly wouldn't expect him to play well this year, but I've certainly been wrong before. 

I guess teams are really scared of Okung's injuries if they signed Fischer before him. Both are really risky. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He did. 

They’re basing his recovery timeline based on what happened with Brandon Brooks. But there’s no guarantee that will hold true. I think Tevi will start the year before Fisher is ready to take over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I guess teams are really scared of Okung's injuries if they signed Fischer before him. Both are really risky. 

Maybe, but personal connections count and Ballard has a long one with Fisher, so it doesn't overly surprise me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe, but personal connections count and Ballard has a long one with Fisher, so it doesn't overly surprise me. 

I see a lot of short quick passes this year for Wentz, and a lot of ground and pound through the middle with Nelson leading the way. I don’t know what will happen on third and longs.

• Like 1

9.4M for a guy who's at major risk to be on the PUP?  Man, I didn't see that coming.

The thing about Achilles' injuries in your late 20's is that return to prior athletic explosion is unlikely, unless you're a quick-twitch freak (Steve Smith, to a lesser extent Manny Sanders).   For an interior OL, or a pocket QB, not a big deal.   For a LT, man, that is a concern.    I get the LT market was pretty thin - I'm kinda surprised Indy didn't want Charles Leno over Fisher, but maybe it's the personal connection angle.

Ballard's success gives him more than a little leash here, but it is an eye-opening decision. Guess we'll see how it goes.   If Fisher played well for even the 2H of the season, you could certainly justify it.   There's just a fair amount of baked-in risk with the injury and position to be more concerned.  It makes way more sense if there’s an extra year as a team option.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Hope he does well. Fish was never great, but he was a steady and reliable LT for a solid 6 or 7 years for us. Considering how much of the top half of the 2013 draft busted, he was a good get for us. But it's definitely a very optimistic outlook on his recovery if they're betting on him recovering in time to be able to be ready week 1. Chiefs weren't willing to be on that.

34 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I see a lot of short quick passes this year for Wentz, and a lot of ground and pound through the middle with Nelson leading the way. I don’t know what will happen on third and longs.

That seems likely. They've got a really fun offense. Parris Campbell, TY, Pittman, plus Taylor in the backfield. That's an interesting group. Good pass catchers at all levels of the field and a good RB.