Roster Projection: DL and LB

WindyCity

DL [6]

RE: Nichols, Edwards

NT: Goldman, Tonga

LE: Hicks, Blackson

This is the easiest position group on the team to predict, and the deepest group on the team. The Bears 2nd string line could start games and they would likely be fine.

It will be most interesting to see if Edwards can keep up his pass rush from last year when he was super productive in limited snaps and whether Tonga can get into the rotation, although I expect he will be inactive on many game days.

Short Term: Super deep and talented

Long Term: This is Hicks last year so we need to see if Blackson and Edwards can step in as a starter in 2022 and save the Bears some serious money. I would also like for Nichols to be extended before the season to start and use that last year of his deal to spread the cap hits and get a little more team friendly deal.

LB [9]

OLB: Attouchu, Quinn, Gipson

ILB: Smith, Iggy

ILB: Trevathan, Jones

OLB: Mack, Vaughters

I think the only real battle here is between Iggy and Woods to see who holds on to the ILB4 job, I think it will be Iggy because of special teams. Jones is a huge upgrade at ILB3 over Woods and Iggy who cannot play defense. We just need to hope that Trevathan doesn't stink for half a season again.

Outside, I think that Vaughters, who was sneaky productive and a core special teams player, will make it over Snowdon who the Bears will stash on IR. The real boost could come from Gipson taking a step and building off some good reps last year to be fully in the rotation this season. Attouchu is a pass rushing upgrade over Mingo and I am interested to see what he can do.

Short Term: This group looks okay if Trevathan is healthy and not done.

Long Term: They need an OLB2 and preferably someone cheaper and better, that won't be hard, than Quinn. Attouchu and Gipson are both signed for 2022, so  fingers crossed.

RE...Nichols...Edwards

NT...Goldman...Tonga

LE...Hicks...Blackson

Possibly the easiest group to predict IMO unless someone get hurt.

OLB...Quinn...Gipson

ILB...Smith...Iggy...Woods (Released Player)

ILB...Trevathan...Jones

OLB...Mack...Attouchu

I think we carry 4 OLBs and focus more of guys who can get to the QB where as Pagano always wanted an OLB who could do more of the dirty work...get back to having out and out pass rushers...Inside I have ZERO confidence in this group outside of Roquan...Trevathan is an excellent leader but he has lost a step, became a liability in coverage and is a ticking time bomb to be injured again...Jones/Iggy/Woods are all good special teamers but bad ILBs...I have no idea why we haven't signed someone like B.J Goodson, Patrick Onwuasor, De'Vondre Campbell or Kwon Alexander who would all represent significant upgrades on defence.