2017 Packers Draft Grade

vegas492

Grade the Packers 2017 draft.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha got?

• A+ (Not even our mods could have done better.)
    • A- (Not even @Norm could have done better.)
    • B+ (Vegas would have nailed this draft.)
    • B (Someone's mother would have been married to someone's cousin, or something like that.)
    • B- (Clearly @Outpost would have done better.)
    • C (Really I don't care anymore, I just don't want to speculate about Rodgers.)
    • D (Insert anything you feel is funny or witty here.)
    • F (Clearly I got lazy and didn't want to do the plus and minus options)

K.  4 years should be ample time to grade a draft.

33.  Kevin King.  Not a whiff.  Not a home run.  But, we know who else was there, so this pick left a lot to be desired.  D+

61.  Josh Jones.  I hate that Josh Jones hated football.  Because football loved him. F

93.  Montravious Adams.  Drafted on potential.  Lived up to none of it.  D.

108.  Vince Biegel.  F.  Can I give an F-?

134. Jamaal Williams.  B.  Solid, reliable, great teammate.  Never spectacular.  But I miss him already.

175.  Deangelo Yancey, WR.  I had to put WR after him, because I had fogotten that he even existed.  F.

182.  Aaron Jones.  A+.  Not much more you can ask of a player, no matter where they are drafted.

212.  Kofi Amichia, C/G.  Thinking he was a RAS kid.  Didn't work out.  F.

238.  Devante Mays, RB.  2/3 aint bad for drafting RB's late.  D.

247.  Malachi Dupre, WR.  At least I remembered him.  Still, nothing panned out.  F.

Overall, I'd say this draft "feels" like a C.  Like that's what you should get out of a draft.

But....we had 4 years of King playing and then getting injured.  But still, he signed a second deal with us, even if for no money.

Got 4 years out of Adams, though he never made an impact.

Williams should be the very definition of "solid" NFL player.  Always available and did his job for 4 seasons.

Jones has emerged as one of our playmakerz.

So, I'll bump this thing to a C+, and I won't fight yah on a B- due to how much those RB's helped us.

Whatcha think?  The damn shame about this thing is Josh Jones and what could have been.

C

I look for 2-3 players that you would want to sign for 2nd contracts.   Jones and King are that.  Williams signed a 2nd contract with another team and that is fine since it is at a position that GB had other players at with Dillon and Jones.  

The issue is that the contracts signed by

King--- 1 year deal does not fill a need at CB long term
Jones -- is a 2 year deal that likely leads to dead cap in 2023

On the rookie contract, you really only have production/playing time from those same 3 players with next to nothing from the Josh Jones, Mo Adams, Biegel group. 

I'd give TT and his staff a B for the 2017 rookie class. With a total of 7 players getting 2nd contracts and still on teams in the league is well above the normal, even if 5 are roll players. Getting one Pro Bowl level player and an above average CB2 out of a draft is an above average draft. 

What should also be noted is the contract Williams signed with Detroit will probably add a 6th round compensatory pick for the Packers in 2022.

Edit: Also Joe Callahan, Reggie Gilbert, Justin McCray, Lucas Patrick, Adam Pankey and Lenzy Pipkins were all UDFA's who were on that 2017 team.   

Edited by R T

C-

The best player from this draft was Aaron Jones.  King is pretty average when you consider where he was taken.   It is pretty bad when you only have 2 players left on the roster from a draft that took place only 5 years ago.

• Like 2

C-. Huge misses on Jones and Adams with premium top-100 picks. King has been okay but health is a big issue and that was a known risk with him at the time. Aaron Jones was a great find, but you're talking about a 5th round pick. I'm not praising a GM for stumbling upon a guy in the middle of Day 3. Same reason why I don't praise BB for drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round. That would have been a great pick had BB defied everyone and taken Brady in the 1st or 2nd because he felt he was going to be great. Instead, Brady was a flier who happened to be the exception to the rule. Same is true for most Day 3 picks so they get less weight IMO in an overall draft grade. 

Kevin King is, at worst, a C. C'mon...

Let's have realistic expectations here.

https://statsbylopez.com/2016/05/04/approximate-value-and-the-nfl-draft/

As an example, King has a career AV of 16 (already) and his draft position looks like (roughly) a career AV of 30 is "expected". King is 26 years old and will almost certainly have several more years of starts in the league. His AV is hampered primarily by health as well, so if he finds a way to stay healthier as a veteran he will likely surpass expectations. He's definitely on pace to meet expectations currently and is therefore a "average" pick at worst.

Josh Jones has a higher career AV than King does currently. He's at worst an average grade as well (he's already nearly met career expectations). However, he was obviously a failed pick for GB since he was cut. Who takes the blame? the drafter or the staff? I'd give it another "C" grade.

Adams - D

Biegel - F

Williams - A

Yancey - F

Jones - A+

The rest don't impact a grade negatively because there is zero expectation.

On the whole, you'd expect about 100 "AV" points from a draft class where we picked. So far (halfway through 3 real careers) the cumulative AV for this class is (coincidentally): 99

King, Jones and Williams will push this well above 100, so this class should have a B grade at minimum right now. HOWEVER, the two biggest contributors are at the same position, which happens to be one of the least valuable positions, so I'm fine knocking the class down a bit because of that. Still, this is a B or B- draft class at worst.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

As an example, King has a career AV of 16 (already) and his draft position looks like (roughly) a career AV of 30 is "expected". King is 26 years old and will almost certainly have several more years of starts in the league. His AV is hampered primarily by health as well, so if he finds a way to stay healthier as a veteran he will likely surpass expectations. He's definitely on pace to meet expectations currently and is therefore a "average" pick at worst.

Josh Jones has a higher career AV than King does currently. He's at worst an average grade as well (he's already nearly met career expectations). However, he was obviously a failed pick for GB since he was cut. Who takes the blame? the drafter or the staff? I'd give it another "C" grade.

Adams - D

Biegel - F

Williams - A

Yancey - F

Jones - A+

On the whole, you'd expect about 100 "AV" points from a draft class where we picked. So far (halfway through 3 real careers) the cumulative AV for this class is (coincidentally): 99

King, Jones and Williams will push this well above 100, so this class should have a B grade at minimum right now. HOWEVER, the two biggest contributors are at the same position, which happens to be one of the least valuable positions, so I'm fine knocking the class down a bit because of that. Still, this is a B or B- draft class at worst.

And if you add Lucas Patrick to this class?

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Adams - D

Biegel - F

Williams - A

Yancey - F

Jones - A+

it is an interesting way of looking at things, not sure how valuable it is for GB if a player accumulated more CaV after signing with another team.

Comes down to how you are grading the draft....player picked overall or relative to GB

• Like 1