2017 Packers Draft Grade

vegas492

Grade the Packers 2017 draft.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha got?

• A+ (Not even our mods could have done better.)
    • A- (Not even @Norm could have done better.)
    • B+ (Vegas would have nailed this draft.)
    • B (Someone's mother would have been married to someone's cousin, or something like that.)
    • B- (Clearly @Outpost would have done better.)
    • C (Really I don't care anymore, I just don't want to speculate about Rodgers.)
    • D (Insert anything you feel is funny or witty here.)
    • F (Clearly I got lazy and didn't want to do the plus and minus options)

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He adds another 9 AV. But one should probably increase the expected AV if adding in UDFAs as well. Wish that site had an equation for that curve...

And Justin McCray adds 11 and Reggie Gilbert adds 5 more. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

it is an interesting way of looking at things, not sure how valuable it is for GB if a player accumulated more CaV after signing with another team.

Comes down to how you are grading the draft....player picked overall or relative to GB

More or less I feel of a player succeeds elsewhere the blame lies with the staff and not the drafter. There are nuances, of course, but I feel this is largely the case.

• Like 1

C, and I could probably be persuaded into lowering the grade.  

Jones and Williams are hits.  King is a very good player.  The issue with this draft is that all of the rest of them just didn't contribute at all.  No special teams players, no starts, nothing.  

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

More or less I feel of a player succeeds elsewhere the blame lies with the staff and not the drafter. There are nuances, of course, but I feel this is largely the case.

I call it a failed pick.

You get 4 years of players on a rookie contract for your team so I grade a draft based on what it does for your team over 4 years.  Regardless of whether they sign a second contract and for whom.  Might be harsh but if a player does well elsewhere maybe you've not done a good job of matching player or player character to scheme or player

• A stud RB
  • Starting Corner
  • Useful RB2

That's what we got. Not bad. I would say C+

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

does the drafter/GM (not Rodgers) then also get downgraded for allowing a player to leave (assuming the cap space was there for retention) that has further progress with another team?

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't know if he still does, but Daniel Jeremiah use to grade drafts 4 years after when he was on NFL Radio. He would go though the process in the summer months before training camps would get started and what you are saying was basically his take also. It is up to the FO to draft NFL caliber players, players worth a second contract and it was on the coaching staff from there. The fact that the Packers 2017 rookie class has 7 players with second contract and still in the NFL would grade very well with Jeremiah.     

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, squire12 said:

does the drafter/GM (not Rodgers) then also get downgraded for allowing a player to leave (assuming the cap space was there for retention) that has further progress with another team?

I think that of course the decision on 2nd contracts is part of the grade for a GM. But it falls outside of a "draft" grade. 

Two distinct staffs as well to manage.

33 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I call it a failed pick.

You get 4 years of players on a rookie contract for your team so I grade a draft based on what it does for your team over 4 years.  Regardless of whether they sign a second contract and for whom.  Might be harsh but if a player does well elsewhere maybe you've not done a good job of matching player or player character to scheme or player

• A stud RB
  • Starting Corner
  • Useful RB2

That's what we got. Not bad. I would say C+

The scheme fit is the nuance I mention. But hopefully you hire a coaching staff that can pivot as well.

Ultimately, that's another way to grade the GM :)

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The funny thing is, if we had drafted:

1st - Aaron Jones

2nd - Kevin King

3rd - Josh Jones

4th - Jamaal Williams

everyone would have AT LEAST one letter grade better on their grade, with the exact same players lol.

You have changed my mind, on an internet forum no less.

I now give it a B+

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Ugh, one day when I get bored I'm going to set up a database that determines an expected AV for a given draft capital class and then calculates the actual. Do this for every draft and rank GMs of the past.

I guess would just getting expected AV per unit of draft capital be ok? 

Take a draft class, add up AV, take total draft capital, divide total AV by total draft capital and you have your expected AV per unit of draft capital.