Roster Projection: CB and S

WindyCity

DB

CB: Johnson, Vildor, Graham, Trufant, Shelley, Burns

S: Jackson, Gipson, DHC, Bush

At safety I do not see any changes, even with Lucas and Christian being back. Both Bush and DHC have sub package roles on defense and special teams spots. I think the Bears will only keep 4 safeties so that can have more CBs available for if things go sideways with that group.

At CB this is a numbers game. They lack quality and they need quantity and two of those options to step up around Johnson. I think Vildor will get the first chance at CB2, he had some nice moments last season and gained experience, also Trufant has been brutal for a couple of seasons. I think Graham will probably get the nod at NB, Shelley was better than Skrine last season, but hardly a positive on the defense. Graham is viewed by most as a draft value and someone who was projected on the inside for the pros. Burns they seemed to like last season, but that 6th CB could easily be Michael Joseph or someone off the street.

Short Term: They are super thin at CB, but I feel fine about their safety play.

Long Term: The only safety under contract is Eddie Jackson and they could need to draft or sign a CB2 if Vildor flops. This could be one of the positions we are focusing on in 2022.

Johnson...Trufant

Burns...Roberson

Vildor...Graham

Johnson is locked in as our #1 CB...I think Burns will take the #2 spot but on a really short leash as Trufant brings experience and Roberson has at least excelled in the CFL...I think our #2 spot is weak regardless of who starts there and we are going to need an upgrade next offseason...I really like the idea of Vildor vs. Graham inside at nickelback and don't know who will come out on top...Vildor is more athletic...Graham is tougher and has better ball skills...I think they knock Shelly off the roster.

Gipson...Bush

Jackson...DHC

This one is another one that is easy to predict just due to the lack of options we have...Gipson will be our starting SS...Jackson is a star and as long as Desai allows him to do the things he excels at it will be far better than last season...Bush & DHC are replacement level defenders but good on teams.

We really need to flip the script in the 2022 offseason and look to add experience on offence to help Fields and youth and talent on defence to replace some of the aging guys and replacement level depth we have.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't see Vildor as an outside guy and Burns is the best of a bad bunch...2022 our two biggest needs are CB & SS.

I might add edge on there as well considering we are for sure going to punt Quinn and Attouchu and Gipson don’t seem to profile as starters.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I might add edge on there as well considering we are for sure going to punt Quinn and Attouchu and Gipson don’t seem to profile as starters.

2022, ILB takes the cake......Gipson and whatever young guys we take, plus whoever we use the free agent money on will be fine at the EDGE opposite Mack

Edited by MonserinNC

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think you can honestly throw every defensive position into the need pile in 2022...DL with Hicks leaving...ILB with Trevathan getting older and injury as well as us have no quality depth...OLB with Mack & Quinn over 30 years old and again Quinn's injury concerns...CB due to us having no real #2...S with us having no real strong safety to help get the best out of Jackson...

Next offseason this defence needs to get a whole lot younger, athletic & deeper around the young core of Goldman, Nichols, Roquan, Johnson & Jackson...Mack will still be Mack for another 5 years because his game isn't pure speed and he will become more and more James Harrison like but there is a ton of ground to cover in free agency and the draft...right now I would love to get a linemen in FA like Jonathan Allen and and DB like Josh Jackson...then hit DB & Edge/ILB in the draft early.

I wonder if we will see a shift next offseason.

Money spent on offense for immediate    upgrades and the defense just hit with a bunch of picks to add youth to all spots.

Prior to Fields, I think it was likely the defense was going to bottom out before we were really competitive, but now it needs to be retooled on the fly.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Money spent on offense for immediate    upgrades and the defense just hit with a bunch of picks to add youth to all spots.

Prior to Fields, I think it was likely the defense was going to bottom out before we were really competitive, but now it needs to be retooled on the fly.

As I had said several times before this is the only possible way of creating a balanced team...you can spend big on maybe one defensive piece but after that the money needs to head towards vets in FA on the offensive side of the ball...TE is a need without a doubt with Graham gone in 2022...WR could be if we can't resign Robinson and we have a ton of guys on 1 year deals...centre may be a need depending on how well Mustipher progresses...we much resign Daniels as well so by the time we resign him, Robinson and say two of our other out of contract receivers plus an experienced TE then your money is starting to become limited...I would spend big on a DL to replace Hicks because a pass rusher will always help any team...then we target experienced but cheaper plays on the back end...Jackson for example shouldn't cost a lot because he has been so badly used in GB...then find some depth at ILB and hit Safety & OLB in the draft...

Obviously all this could and probably will change throughout the year but that would seem like a solid plan to me in order to be able to go into 2023 with the ability to draft and spend in a completely balanced way...that is when for me the window is open for us to really kick on and become a force year in year out...depending on Fields of course...no pressure kid 😂 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I know what you mean, we will have Dalton an Foles money off the books, and I thin we might be free from Quinn....curious what they do

They're going to need to spend money on the defense. They only have 5 picks in 2022 and both units are set to lose veteran starters.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As I had said several times before this is the only possible way of creating a balanced team...you can spend big on maybe one defensive piece but after that the money needs to head towards vets in FA on the offensive side of the ball...TE is a need without a doubt with Graham gone in 2022...WR could be if we can't resign Robinson and we have a ton of guys on 1 year deals...centre may be a need depending on how well Mustipher progresses...we much resign Daniels as well so by the time we resign him, Robinson and say two of our other out of contract receivers plus an experienced TE then your money is starting to become limited...I would spend big on a DL to replace Hicks because a pass rusher will always help any team...then we target experienced but cheaper plays on the back end...Jackson for example shouldn't cost a lot because he has been so badly used in GB...then find some depth at ILB and hit Safety & OLB in the draft...

Obviously all this could and probably will change throughout the year but that would seem like a solid plan to me in order to be able to go into 2023 with the ability to draft and spend in a completely balanced way...that is when for me the window is open for us to really kick on and become a force year in year out...depending on Fields of course...no pressure kid 😂 

The one position I could see them spending future money on is CB, as they have little cap space invested there.

But the other spots on D will all have big money already tied up there

DL: Goldman, Nichols

LB: Smith

OLB: Mack

S: Jackson

We need to find cheap, young and controlled players at the spots opposite of these guys.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The one position I could see them spending future money on is CB, as they have little cap space invested there.

We need to find cheap, young and controlled players at the spots opposite of these guys.

I think looking at the depth of the CB draft class and potential free agents there is room to find cheaper starters there...that said I would have no issue drafting a CB in the 2nd due to the talent level available...overall I think we have the money to get one big name defender...one mid level starter...and then hit the draft hard.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I think looking at the depth of the CB draft class and potential free agents there is room to find cheaper starters there...that said I would have no issue drafting a CB in the 2nd due to the talent level available...overall I think we have the money to get one big name defender...one mid level starter...and then hit the draft hard.

I see it similar. 

Spend actual money on your weakest defensive spot whether that is CB or Edge and then spam the defense with picks.

• Like 1

You’re assuming here they’re going to spend big to keep Nichols and they definitely could but depending on what else is out there or how others (Edwards?) do we may not and may look to spend the $10M+ it’ll probably take to keep him next offseason elsewhere. I think it’s underplayed that we won’t have to pay a 1st round salary next year (~$4-5M) which is an average starter via FA somewhere on the squad. Might make the most sense to add a stud corner opposite Johnson or stud IOL if we can’t keep Daniels and go the vet route on the DL.

The overriding point about needing young, cost-controlled players is spot on. For every top tier contract we have we need at least one guy making at or close to the minimum to offset it.