Roster Projection: CB and S

WindyCity

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re assuming here they’re going to spend big to keep Nichols and they definitely could but depending on what else is out there or how others (Edwards?) do we may not and may look to spend the $10M+ it’ll probably take to keep him next offseason elsewhere. I think it’s underplayed that we won’t have to pay a 1st round salary next year (~$4-5M) which is an average starter via FA somewhere on the squad. Might make the most sense to add a stud corner opposite Johnson or stud IOL if we can’t keep Daniels and go the vet route on the DL.

The overriding point about needing young, cost-controlled players is spot on. For every top tier contract we have we need at least one guy making at or close to the minimum to offset it. 

I would be surprised if they let Nichols walk. My guess is the money gets shifted from Hicks to Nichols. 

The fascinating part will be with what happens with Robinson. He could be the lynch pin of the offseason, because if he is tagged or he walks everything will be shifted.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would be surprised if they let Nichols walk. My guess is the money gets shifted from Hicks to Nichols. 

The fascinating part will be with what happens with Robinson. He could be the lynch pin of the offseason, because if he is tagged or he walks everything will be shifted.

You’d think they’d put Robinson with Fields for every minicamp rep then be like “This is the QB for the rest of your career. Let’s figure this out.”

I’d be surprised if Nichols was allowed to walk too - just saying it’s not a lock that we do, or even can (if he takes another step) keep him. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’d think they’d put Robinson with Fields for every minicamp rep then be like “This is the QB for the rest of your career. Let’s figure this out.”

I’d be surprised if Nichols was allowed to walk too - just saying it’s not a lock that we do, or even can (if he takes another step) keep him. 

I would go to Nichols before the season and see if we can get something done.

The Robinson thing is a real time bomb. We cannot afford to play the franchise tag game with him and we cannot really afford to reset at WR1.