2021 OTAS also includes Rookie and Mandatory minicamps

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kittle comes in at #9. 

Niners were one of only three teams to have four top 30 players. Others were GB (Adams/Rodgers/Alexander/Bahktari) and the Chiefs (Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Jones). 

No excuses for this team not to be a perennial playoff team like the other two teams mentioned. Need to make the playoffs damn near every season going forward with this core. 

And of Lance is half as good as ppl project him to be...geeeeez

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

And of Lance is half as good as ppl project him to be...geeeeez

And with Warner/Bosa needing to be paid soon, our future success largely comes down to how good Lance can be. If he has true top 5-7 potential? This team is a powerhouse for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

"I still like the 49ers, sans that injury karma. And here's the interesting part to me -- I think the 49ers could make the playoffs and win the division and still have a quarterback change in the middle of the season," Garafolo said. "I truly believe that. Now that's not a knock on Jimmy G. It's just that Trey Lance from what I gather has already shown up there and proven that he is mentally at this stage of the game a lot more than maybe people thought. And I feel bad for Jimmy, but there's nothing Jimmy can do to stave that off."

"If Trey Lance is lighting it up in the preseason and he's showing them day in and day out, maybe in practice and whatnot, they're going to make the change. And they're going to go to him when he's ready, no matter what Jimmy does."

I'm going to say it again for those that didn't listen to Kyle on Kawakami's podcast, this is going to be a REAL competition. Don't listen to all the reports saying Jimmy is a lock to start. Kyle would have shut that question down from Kawakami when asked if Lance can win the competition but he didn't and said he is not scared to go with the rookie if he is ready to go...Consistent with this reporting from Garafolo. 

Getcha popcorn ready!!!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm going to say it again for those that didn't listen to Kyle on Kawakami's podcast, this is going to be a REAL competition. Don't listen to all the reports saying Jimmy is a lock to start. Kyle would have shut that question down from Kawakami when asked if Lance can win the competition but he didn't and said he is not scared to go with the rookie if he is ready to go...Consistent with this reporting from Garafolo. 

Getcha popcorn ready!!!!

Well its not really a competition. This is Trey Lance's team. He is the present and the future. The moment he was drafted, he became the face of the franchise. Whether Jimmy is the starting QB come September 12 or not, the QB position for the 49ers is all about Trey Lance moving forward. 

Jimmy's only saving grace is his presence allows Shanny and the brass to not force a rookie to play early. That's a luxury other teams with high drafted young QBs don't have. So they can take it as slow as they want with Lance and don't have to force him onto the field before he's ready.

But a competition implys that there are two guys on equal footing vying for the same position. Jimmy is clearly in our rear view. That's why Lance is here to begin with. Jimmy could absolutely light the league on fire this year and he still wouldn't be in our plans beyond 2021. So I see it as more of a prolonged friendly takeover.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well its not really a competition. This is Trey Lance's team. He is the present and the future. The moment he was drafted, he became the face of the franchise. Whether Jimmy is the starting QB come September 12 or not, the QB position for the 49ers is all about Trey Lance moving forward. 

Jimmy's only saving grace is his presence allows Shanny and the brass to not force a rookie to play early. That's a luxury other teams with high drafted young QBs don't have. So they can take it as slow as they want with Lance and don't have to force him onto the field before he's ready.

But a competition implys that there are two guys on equal footing vying for the same position. Jimmy is clearly in our rear view. That's why Lance is here to begin with. Jimmy could absolutely light the league on fire this year and he still wouldn't be in our plans beyond 2021. So I see it as more of a prolonged friendly takeover.

I mean that is one way of looking at it, but there will definitely be a QB competition to determine who starts the season. There will have to be certain things Lance has to show to win the job and it seems like he is fully capable of doing so. 

• Like 1

Whitworth with some big time Bosa praise. 

“I think he’s a special rusher,” Whitworth told Long. “I think feeling him as a rookie, he’s one of the most powerful kids I’ve ever felt that young. Really in the run game, pass game, everything he’s got some serious pop. And so I think there’s youth strength and then there’s like, man when this guy kind of hits his stride, if he’s that powerful now, wow. He’s gonna be a guy that’s gonna really be able to push the pocket. And obviously plays with an incredible motor and has the big brother to look up to who’s a hell of a player too.”

“I would say, to me, Nick has felt more powerful than what I feel when I feel Joey,” Whitworth said. “Joey’s just an artist. He’s an artist rusher. But Nick, he’s got some rare power. I think he’s one that’s gonna be really special for sure.”

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/29/green-light-podcast-chris-long-andrew-whitworth-nick-bosa/

• Like 5

“He might be the only person since I’ve been covering the team, which is about a quarter of a decade, that from one week of OTAs to the next week, you could actually see the improvement,” Maiocco said. “The first week we went out there and he just kind of seemed to be a little bit unsure of himself, a tick slow. The ball was sailing high. You could tell there was just a lot going on in his head. And in the next week, he went out there and you could tell — he was directing traffic, moving guys from spot A to spot B, and he threw the ball a little bit more accurately. It’s not often that you see a dramatic change that you can see with your naked eye.”

“I think I asked John Lynch a week or so after that. I was like, ‘Hey, was I seeing things right?’” Maiocco said. “I was only to watch a couple of those practices — only two of the seven practices I think it was I was able to see. And he was like, ‘No, that’s exactly how we felt.’ You could actually see him growing and learning. He’s putting in the time. I’m not ready to stamp his ticket to Canton or anything, but so far he is certainly the guy they thought he would be from a character standpoint, a work ethic standpoint. Then it doesn’t take long to see the physical tools as well.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/6/30/22556780/49ers-nbc-matt-maiocco-says-trey-lance-improved-during-otas

This is exactly why Shanny's tune changed so much in a mere weeks. Not that he ever said that Lance has no chance of being the starter but clearly he started being more open to the idea after OTAs. He probably saw just how quickly Lance was picking up on stuff and thought if he could make this type of improvement in a week, what will he do in TC/preseason? 

Jimmy is not known to be a great practice player, but he better be as sharp as he's ever been in camp to hold this youngster off. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/6/30/22556780/49ers-nbc-matt-maiocco-says-trey-lance-improved-during-otas

This is exactly why Shanny's tune changed so much in a mere weeks. Not that he ever said that Lance has no chance of being the starter but clearly he started being more open to the idea after OTAs. He probably saw just how quickly Lance was picking up on stuff and thought if he could make this type of improvement in a week, what will he do in TC/preseason? 

Jimmy is not known to be a great practice player, but he better be as sharp as he's ever been in camp to hold this youngster off. 

Love seeing this type of stuff. Lance seems to have everything above the neck which is probably the most important trait for a QB. His mental prowess and hard working mentality paired with his insane physical gifts really make for a high chance of success. His accuracy scares me a little bit, but apparently that is already improving as well. Pretty excited for the future with Lance at the helm. My dream scenario is someone comes in with an offer for Jimmy in TC after maybe losing their starter much like the Bradford situation and we can just roll with Lance from the get-go. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Love seeing this type of stuff. Lance seems to have everything above the neck which is probably the most important trait for a QB. His mental prowess and hard working mentality paired with his insane physical gifts really make for a high chance of success. His accuracy scares me a little bit, but apparently that is already improving as well. Pretty excited for the future with Lance at the helm. My dream scenario is someone comes in with an offer for Jimmy in TC after maybe losing their starter much like the Bradford situation and we can just roll with Lance from the get-go. 

If Lance is ready to go then you go with him period. But Maiocco said this was the sharpest Jimmy has ever looked as well so I still think he will be our starter for the season. I mean unless a team gives up a good pick, no need to get rid of him since we aren't going to be able to sign anyone significant with the open cap space. 

Kyle is very straight forward and doesn't know how to tell lies. Listen to him enough, and he will tell you exactly what is happening. Sure he played in the Mac Jones situation the week of the draft but he told Kawakami that he is not opposed to starting a rookie and that let you know that Lance had a chance to start from week 1. Maybe this is why he doesn't do many podcast spots lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Lance is ready to go then you go with him period. But Maiocco said this was the sharpest Jimmy has ever looked as well so I still think he will be our starter for the season. I mean unless a team gives up a good pick, no need to get rid of him since we aren't going to be able to sign anyone significant with the open cap space. 

Kyle is very straight forward and doesn't know how to tell lies. Listen to him enough, and he will tell you exactly what is happening. Sure he played in the Mac Jones situation the week of the draft but he told Kawakami that he is not opposed to starting a rookie and that let you know that Lance had a chance to start from week 1. Maybe this is why he doesn't do many podcast spots lol. 

Yeah, I'm not saying we should give Jimmy away by any means; which is why I brought up the Bradford situation (crazy that he's still only 33). I don't think we'll get a 1st for Jimmy, but if we could pry away a second and another pick I'd do it. Warner need an extension as well, so I think we could put that money to good use. 

14 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying we should give Jimmy away by any means; which is why I brought up the Bradford situation (crazy that he's still only 33). I don't think we'll get a 1st for Jimmy, but if we could pry away a second and another pick I'd do it. Warner need an extension as well, so I think we could put that money to good use. 

Call me crazy but Nate Sudfield as the backup wouldn't be the worse idea..........

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Call me crazy but Nate Sudfield as the backup wouldn't be the worse idea..........

I'd rather roll with Rosen, but I liked him as a prospect and think there maybe something in there we could uncover. Maybe it's just me not wanting to be wrong, lol idk. 

• Like 2

Just now, GW21 said:

I'd rather roll with Rosen, but I liked him as a prospect and think there maybe something in there we could uncover. Maybe it's just me not wanting to be wrong, lol idk. 

I'd love Rosen as a backup to Garoppolo - they could roll with the offense that we've been running over the past couple of years. But when Lance is the man, I'd really like someone that can at least force defenses to defend the backside of a bunch of plays as a runner so that we could run Lance plays all the time. Josh Johnson was a 4.5 guy coming out, had ~400 yards rushing a year in college, knows the offense and could run the rhythm timing stuff. I'd have been fine with Jacoby Brissett or Colt McCoy. I just want someone that can do a bit of everything but throw it deep (you gotta give up something in a backup) and has been a coach favorite due to his abilities to pick up plays. Rosen is interesting, but the upside he has over a more versatile/proven option is that he develops into something, and only occurs in a worst case scenario for us where Lance + Jimmy go down/are off the roster. Alex Smith, incidentally, would have been perfect if he hadn't had the leg injury and was out of work just due to age, as he also would bring relevant personal experience to the quarterback room and we would have pretty good confidence that he could win a couple of games if necessary.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I'd love Rosen as a backup to Garoppolo - they could roll with the offense that we've been running over the past couple of years. But when Lance is the man, I'd really like someone that can at least force defenses to defend the backside of a bunch of plays as a runner so that we could run Lance plays all the time. Josh Johnson was a 4.5 guy coming out, had ~400 yards rushing a year in college, knows the offense and could run the rhythm timing stuff. I'd have been fine with Jacoby Brissett or Colt McCoy. I just want someone that can do a bit of everything but throw it deep (you gotta give up something in a backup) and has been a coach favorite due to his abilities to pick up plays. Rosen is interesting, but the upside he has over a more versatile/proven option is that he develops into something, and only occurs in a worst case scenario for us where Lance + Jimmy go down/are off the roster. Alex Smith, incidentally, would have been perfect if he hadn't had the leg injury and was out of work just due to age, as he also would bring relevant personal experience to the quarterback room and we would have pretty good confidence that he could win a couple of games if necessary.

Agreed. If Jimmy remains on the roster this year, keeping Rosen around makes sense. But going forward with Lance means our back-ups needs to somewhat mirror his athletic traits. That way the offense doesn't have to change too dramatically if Lance were to miss any amount of time.

43 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think if we can keep him around and he can actually learn a playbook, we could bring him back cheap next offseason when Jimmy will be gone and showcase him in the pre-season. Maybe someone bites on a trade if he plays well, if not then we've got our backup of the future. I don't really care too much about having an athletic backup because our starter is athletic. I think Kyle can adjust his gameplan around his QB, assuming said QB has some talent. There is no upside with Johnson (who was recently cut btw), and we are pretty much dead in the water if Jimmy is gone and Lance is out. I like Rosen's upside still despite the beginning of his career; it's not really his fault he's been Alex Smith'd thus far. At the end of the day it's not really a big deal, but I have my preference. I'm just glad we can debate our backup QB as opposed to our starter for the most part at this point.