Oakland A's to start looking into relocating

NYRaider

Hawaii A's, that home field advantage baby. Plus would give me an excuse to go to Hawaii twice a year lol.

Edit: Those golf course in Hawaii are breath taking. Waterfront Hawaii Park would be the best stadium in the MLB.

Yes, I know, it's not gonna happen.

Edited by BayRaider

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Hawaii A's, that home field advantage baby. Plus would give me an excuse to go to Hawaii twice a year lol.

Edit: Those golf course in Hawaii are breath taking. Waterfront Hawaii Park would be the best stadium in the MLB.

Yes, I know, it's not gonna happen.

The travel would be an issue I'm assuming?

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The NBA just announced a G-League team in Mexico City. 

G-League isn't exactly competitive and has low-level skill players, nor do they care about a competitive balance. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Makes sense, they tried to get the D-backs out of Arizona. 

Though technically, pretty sure it wasn't Las Vegas but rather Henderson, who I would assume would be spearheading this attempt as well. 

I wonder where they'd build a new stadium, retractable roof like @beekay414 would be nice.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I wonder where they'd build a new stadium, retractable roof like @beekay414 would be nice.

They had 4 locations planned out. The minor league team is out in Summerlin next to Red Rock, so I imagine that they would want to put it out closer to Henderson. 

The initial renderings for the stadium did include a retractable roof. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

They had 4 locations planned out. The minor league team is out in Summerlin next to Red Rock, so I imagine that they would want to put it out closer to Henderson. 

The initial renderings for the stadium did include a retractable roof. 

This week, Roeben upped the ante “with another juicy tidbit: As we’ve shared, could very well be a land play. New rumor suggests Rio could be demolished, site to be developed as (wait for it) Major League Baseball ballpark.”

Would put it super close to the strip on the opposite end of where the Raiders stadium is at. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I would not be surprised at all. Oakland has a very corrupt city council, always trying to have their cake and eat it too type mentality, basically offering no help and trying to share in the rewards and profits. They have already lost two sports franchises, and I already said I would not be surprised in any way if they lost the A's. 

Just like no one blamed the Raiders, no one should blame the A's. They have done an AMAZING job trying to get a stadium in Oakland, and have tried super hard. Their efforts have been outstanding. 

I do hope they can work it out. I think a waterfront park in Oakland is the best move for all parties involved: A's, City of Oakland, and fans. I'd prefer they stay there even though I just ragged on Oakland, I just don't see it happening. 

If they do move, Las Vegas and Portland both provide intriguing options. As the Raiders and Warriors did, I hope the A's stay on the west coast. I would hate if the team moved to the East Coast, or even worse, Canada. I still want to be able to attend multiple games a year. 

Haven't kept up at all with negotiations. What rewards are they trying to get? And are the A's asking for Oakland to pay for any/all of this or is would it be completely private?

22 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Haven't kept up at all with negotiations. What rewards are they trying to get? And are the A's asking for Oakland to pay for any/all of this or is would it be completely private?

E0-A5-F9-E7-D5-B4-4-A22-87-A3-D23-CE6630

It is fully privately financed.

City of Oakland’s issue has nothing to do with the Stadium. It is the same issue the Raiders had and why they moved. City of Oakland owns half the coliseum land which is the old site (current stadium). A’s plan to use that site to generate revenue. The county owns half and the city owns half. The county has offered to sell their half to the A’s or Raiders at fair market value. The city has refused to sell their half on multiple occasions. Not only will they not sell it, they refuse to approve ANY location in Oakland that isn’t the coliseum site (therefore they would own half the land of the new stadium). The Raiders and A’s both paid the City of Oakland millions a year to rent the coliseum site. 

Hard to explain further, but if you lived here, you’d understand how corrupt the City Council is. FBI has investigated them on more than one occasion. The Mayor too… corrupt as they come. 

Edited by BayRaider