Grade the offseason- no Monday QBs

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Offensively, it depends on Carr's connection with his new ascending WR's (edwards/ruggs), Drake's contribution, run blocking, and Gruden's willingness to use Foster (witten ffs). Those things could improve or tank the offense depending on how all that plays out.

I think the OL will make or break the offense. Carr isn't good when he's getting hit and/or doesn't have a reliable run game to lean on.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the OL will make or break the offense. Carr isn't good when he's getting hit and/or doesn't have a reliable run game to lean on.

Tf? Where was the reliable running game last year?

Y'all are crazy man there are like 3 qb's who can function without those things. Maybe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tf? Where was the reliable running game last year?

Y'all are crazy man there are like 3 qb's who can function without those things. Maybe.

In 2020 we averaged 142.8 rushing yards in our 8 wins and 96.6 in our 8 losses. While in 2019 we averaged 130.8 rushing yards in our 7 wins and 108.5 rushing yards in our 9 losses. 

We were 7-3 with a +43 point differential in games that we rushed for 100+ yards last season. And we were 1-5 in games we rushed for less than 100 yards with a -88 point differential.

During Carr's 6 years here we have a 31-25 record (55 win%) when we have 100+ rushing yards and a 16-40 record (28 win%) when we have less than 100 rushing yards. So our win% is legitimately twice as much in games we run the ball well. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

In 2020 we averaged 142.8 rushing yards in our 8 wins and 96.6 in our 8 losses. While in 2019 we averaged 130.8 rushing yards in our 7 wins and 108.5 rushing yards in our 9 losses. 

We were 7-3 with a +43 point differential in games that we rushed for 100+ yards last season. And we were 1-5 in games we rushed for less than 100 yards with a -88 point differential.

During Carr's 6 years here we have a 31-25 record (55 win%) when we have 100+ rushing yards and a 16-40 record (28 win%) when we have less than 100 rushing yards. So our win% is legitimately twice as much in games we run the ball well. 

Perfect example of cherry picking stats ......... Did you think that maybe we have more yards in wins as we're up on the scoreboard and running more to run the clock etc.? Maybe Carr us playing really well and thus the ground game opens up....... There are a myriad of variables  and it's painfully obvious you have a pre determined agenda and dig up stats to try support that.

I bet league wide a lot of teams have losing records when they rush for less than 100 yards...... How do we compare to league average? Stats on their own without context are pretty worthless.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I bet league wide a lot of teams have losing records when they rush for less than 100 yards...... How do we compare to league average? Stats on their own without context are pretty worthless.

I think it's applicable to Carr more than a lot of other quarterbacks because he's more of a game manager. He's not a guy that's going to make plays out of the structure of the offense or someone that's mobile enough to buy time in the pocket/extend plays. If you look at any season we've had a decent offense or been in the playoff hunt we've had a good running game while in the years we didn't we have been bad. Carr is also someone that folds when he starts getting hit and turns into captain check down. 

The Steelers had the worst rushing game in the NFL and won 11 games while the Chiefs had less yards than us and were the best team in the conference. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You do realize 100 rushing yards for a team is not good in a game right? For a player sure its great, but 100 yards a game is would be bottom 7 rush. . . 
this year we were 14th in rush yards per game. . . 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

rushing yards and wins have a chicken/egg effect... gotta be careful with that

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

rushing yards and wins have a chicken/egg effect... gotta be careful with that

One of the stats that you have to watch the game to see which one was the factor.  I think @NYRaider's stats hold more weight the last 3 years because that is what Gruden's offense is based on.  I could be wrong since I have not looked it up but what I would think just off the top of my head.

18 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

One of the stats that you have to watch the game to see which one was the factor.  I think @NYRaider's stats hold more weight the last 3 years because that is what Gruden's offense is based on.  I could be wrong since I have not looked it up but what I would think just off the top of my head.

Gruden has preached time and time again that the main principle of his offense is to be a smash mouth running team. He wants to run the ball first, milk the clock, and then bring extra defenders into the box to exploit miss-matches in the passing game. 

I agree with @Turnobili because I'd assume one of the reasons we didn't really rush for a lot of yards in some of our losses was because we went down early and then were forced to take a pass happy approach to try and stay in the game. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

You do realize 100 rushing yards for a team is not good in a game right? For a player sure its great, but 100 yards a game is would be bottom 7 rush. . . 
this year we were 14th in rush yards per game. . . 

When you look at our two most successful years with Carr offensively, they've been the years we have been able to run the ball. 

In the only two seasons we had a non-losing record (2016/2020): 

- 2016: 1,922 rushing yards (120.1 ypg, 6th most), 17 TD (6th most)

- 2020: 1,916 rushing yards (119.7 ypg, 14th most), 20 TD (6th most)

In the 5 seasons we've had a losing record with Carr we've averaged: 1,554 rushing yards (97.1 ypg), 9 TD 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When you look at our two most successful years with Carr offensively, they've been the years we have been able to run the ball. 

In the only two seasons we had a non-losing record (2016/2020): 

- 2016: 1,922 rushing yards (120.1 ypg, 6th most), 17 TD (6th most)

- 2020: 1,916 rushing yards (119.7 ypg, 14th most), 20 TD (6th most)

In the 5 seasons we've had a losing record with Carr we've averaged: 1,554 rushing yards (97.1 ypg), 9 TD 

100%, it is no secret that a good running game helps a QB. 
Elite Qbs can help out their run game (teams fear the pass so much they back off), but for like 95% of QBs a successful run game helps big time. 

Under Gruden, It is clear he wants us to be a power running team. In 2018, 2019 we were supposed to be able to run the ball and we could not. We built our O around running and it still wasnt great. Even last year, for a team built to run the ball, the ypg was pretty bad. (albiet, without looking I could see our TOP being low, as teams sustain long drives against us?)

Id be willing to bet that most QBs successful years are when theyve also been able to run the ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

teams sustain long drives against us

This doesn't get enough attention in regards to how it impacts the offensive playcalling. 

We can't get our defense off the field without giving up points, meaning our margin of error on offense is essentially nonexistent. 

When we started hot last year in games, we looked really good on offense, but virtually everything was a shootout. 

If we didn't keep pace, we were stuck playing catch up and hoping for a miracle stop on D. 

Now, the run game clearly wasn't all that great to begin with given the state of the O-line and whatnot. But we also rarely got into a position to grind the clock and get the run game's rhythm going. 

Not to excuse anyone too much, but I find it difficult to really grade anyone on offense (unless they were extraordinarily bad) given the positions we were most often in. Playcalling was bad, too, but I'm willing to wait and see if a competent defense makes any difference first. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, NYRaider said:

You do know the O-line was ranked 24 last year and Carr did great