Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Who-dey said:

Maybe it’s just me but I feel a different energy coming from the team this year. 

I'd say it's a mixture of the confidence exuded by Burrow, combined with a defense that I think is going to have an attitude, but not a toxic one like the Burfict led defenses. 

Bates is a dog, Bell and Hilton aren't going to take **** from anybody, we're getting healthy bodies back on the defensive line, and our super young LB core is a little more seasoned.  Biggest question mark on D is at CB.  If Waynes and Awuzie can be at least league average or a little better, then our defense is going to surprise some people. If they struggle, so will the defense struggle with them.

On offense you can tell how excited Boyd is in the interviews he's given at OTA's to have a weapon like Chase in the mix and the versatility the WR group has now.  Everyone likes to **** on the Bengals offensive line because they passed on Sewell, but they still brought in two new starters this year in Reiff and Carman, and will be essentially getting another starter with one of Spain or XSF at LG and the depth is better than last year already.  And that's if Frank Pollack makes no difference over Jim Turner, which almost everyone thinks it will make at least some difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A pretty clear and fair picture of the Bengals from a Browns blogger who sees a Bengals/Browns rivalry brewing for the next decade.  He still likes the Browns as the better team for now of course, and I might have a couple contentions on what he thinks about our defense, but on the whole it was a pretty good read and seems like a good take on what the Bengals are now and what they could be in the near future.

New Cleveland Browns vs. Cincinnati Bengals rivalry could be brewing (dawgpounddaily.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 7:52 AM, THE DUKE said:

And that's if Frank Pollack makes no difference over Jim Turner, which almost everyone thinks it will make at least some difference.

I think he's going to make a huge difference.  If you follow Willie Anderson at all, he crapped all over Turner and his style of Oline play.  Talked a lot about the problems with the technique he teaches, and how it gets guys beat all the time.  

 

Plus, if you buy into PFF grades at all, you can see guys grades plummet when Turner arrives, or go way up when Turner leaves.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL contract extensions: Jessie Bates III sounds committed to Bengals - Cincy Jungle

Sounds like they are already working on the Bates extension, which at this point, is likely the top priority for the front office for this summer.  Given how the Bengals usually work, I expect we'll see this get done shortly before training camp opens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

NFL contract extensions: Jessie Bates III sounds committed to Bengals - Cincy Jungle

Sounds like they are already working on the Bates extension, which at this point, is likely the top priority for the front office for this summer.  Given how the Bengals usually work, I expect we'll see this get done shortly before training camp opens.

More like on the Tuesday between preseason games 2 and 3

Link to post
Share on other sites

An article talking about how Burrow strengthened his hip during his rehab and how he has adjusted his footwork to get more velo on his throws. An interesting read, can't wait to see if the difference is notable to the novice eyes of the fans.

Bengals OC Brian Callahan: Joe Burrow's throwing with a little more velocity - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:23 AM, THE DUKE said:

An article talking about how Burrow strengthened his hip during his rehab and how he has adjusted his footwork to get more velo on his throws. An interesting read, can't wait to see if the difference is notable to the novice eyes of the fans.

Bengals OC Brian Callahan: Joe Burrow's throwing with a little more velocity - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

I think we’ll see it but not just because he is stronger. I see him being able to step into a much higher percentage of his throws this year vs last year. I think the right side of our line is fixed and our pass blocking with Pollack will be leaps and bounds better than with Turner. Burrow with time will be  fun to watch and my money will be on him to win games when he his given that kind of opportunity. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Who-dey said:

I think we’ll see it but not just because he is stronger. I see him being able to step into a much higher percentage of his throws this year vs last year. I think the right side of our line is fixed and our pass blocking with Pollack will be leaps and bounds better than with Turner. Burrow with time will be  fun to watch and my money will be on him to win games when he his given that kind of opportunity. 

A lot of pro QB's improve on arm strength in their first few years.  For a variety of reasons.  You've pointed out another one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Who are 3 players who need to show something this year to stick around?

IMO it’s Billy Price, Germaine Pratt, and to a lesser degree Trae Waynes 

Legit answer, Joe Mixon

On draft day I was thinking depth and later round selections. Thought about rb and how we just cut Bernard and don't have anything behind Mixon, and how I didn't know how much we had in Joe Mixon. He was pretty good in 2018. Regressed a little in 2019. Only played in six games in 2020 but he had continued to decline. I know running backs are graded for versatility now but the stat that makes him a running back, his career y/a is 4.1.

For this prompt I looked up his contract, and it has an out after this season. After this year he'll be making ~ 11.5, 13, and 13. His average salary would currently make him the 6th highest paid back each year. There have been days when he has been a top 10 back but...

His salary is a cliff too. Right after him backs are making 2/3 or 1/2 as much. In 2022 Burrow, Boyd, and Higgins will need new contracts, unless we are foolish and wait until the final year. Chase comes due the following year. We're going to need a lot of cheese, he has this year to prove he would be worth his share of that wheel.

 

My answers to hit 3 players, in some manner or another we currently have two players at each special teams battery position...

Clark Harris's birthday is tomorrow and Kevin Huber's is a week from today, happy birthday guys! Both will be 37. I guess that's old. Long snappers are so anonymous that I can't think of many, much less if they can hang on into their 40s like quality place kickers. But both have been good enough that you never think about them.

We just signed a snapper to a futures contract (go Hoosier's) so it's not like Harris has someone breathing down his neck this year. How does a snapper have a good year though? There are only two classifications of long snapper. Large men I wouldn't know if they were in my kitchen, and Brad St. Louis. So I guess there's a decent chance this is Harris's final year.

We picked up undrafted Drue Chrisman. Huber was born in Cincinnati and went to UC. Chrisman was born 8 feet away from Cincinnati and went to high school there. So Huber has a slight edge on the important characteristic of do you have ties to; Cincinnati, the state of Ohio, or The Ohio State University. If we can stash Chrisman on the practice squad this could be Huber's last ride. Assuming we don't carry two punters all year or cut Huber in training camp.

Our kickers are who we settled for near the end of the season and a likely overdrafted player. If McPherson doesn't win the job this year we might roll with Seibert for a year if there are no better options.

 

C. J. Uzomah will be 29 and a free agent after the season. I'd be okay with bringing him back at a much reduced salary. I'd be a bigger fan of Moss performing at national title levels and making signing a TE for much more than minimum unreasonable.

 

It could be because of the sunk draft capital we used to get him or the fact that he's from Ohio State University that he's still here, but I don't know that he deserves a roster spot. he's a weak spot in an already bad group. That's like being the worst dressed guy at Walmart. I invite him to leave and go see the world while he's young.

 

Jesse Bates will be a free agent, will we be able to resign him?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, otg said:

Legit answer, Joe Mixon

On draft day I was thinking depth and later round selections. Thought about rb and how we just cut Bernard and don't have anything behind Mixon, and how I didn't know how much we had in Joe Mixon. He was pretty good in 2018. Regressed a little in 2019. Only played in six games in 2020 but he had continued to decline. I know running backs are graded for versatility now but the stat that makes him a running back, his career y/a is 4.1.

For this prompt I looked up his contract, and it has an out after this season. After this year he'll be making ~ 11.5, 13, and 13. His average salary would currently make him the 6th highest paid back each year. There have been days when he has been a top 10 back but...

His salary is a cliff too. Right after him backs are making 2/3 or 1/2 as much. In 2022 Burrow, Boyd, and Higgins will need new contracts, unless we are foolish and wait until the final year. Chase comes due the following year. We're going to need a lot of cheese, he has this year to prove he would be worth his share of that wheel.

 

My answers to hit 3 players, in some manner or another we currently have two players at each special teams battery position...

Clark Harris's birthday is tomorrow and Kevin Huber's is a week from today, happy birthday guys! Both will be 37. I guess that's old. Long snappers are so anonymous that I can't think of many, much less if they can hang on into their 40s like quality place kickers. But both have been good enough that you never think about them.

We just signed a snapper to a futures contract (go Hoosier's) so it's not like Harris has someone breathing down his neck this year. How does a snapper have a good year though? There are only two classifications of long snapper. Large men I wouldn't know if they were in my kitchen, and Brad St. Louis. So I guess there's a decent chance this is Harris's final year.

We picked up undrafted Drue Chrisman. Huber was born in Cincinnati and went to UC. Chrisman was born 8 feet away from Cincinnati and went to high school there. So Huber has a slight edge on the important characteristic of do you have ties to; Cincinnati, the state of Ohio, or The Ohio State University. If we can stash Chrisman on the practice squad this could be Huber's last ride. Assuming we don't carry two punters all year or cut Huber in training camp.

Our kickers are who we settled for near the end of the season and a likely overdrafted player. If McPherson doesn't win the job this year we might roll with Seibert for a year if there are no better options.

 

C. J. Uzomah will be 29 and a free agent after the season. I'd be okay with bringing him back at a much reduced salary. I'd be a bigger fan of Moss performing at national title levels and making signing a TE for much more than minimum unreasonable.

 

It could be because of the sunk draft capital we used to get him or the fact that he's from Ohio State University that he's still here, but I don't know that he deserves a roster spot. he's a weak spot in an already bad group. That's like being the worst dressed guy at Walmart. I invite him to leave and go see the world while he's young.

 

Jesse Bates will be a free agent, will we be able to resign him?

I could agree with those. I think CJ Uzomah is extremely liked by the coaching staff and the locker room so I don’t see him going anywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I could agree with those. I think CJ Uzomah is extremely liked by the coaching staff and the locker room so I don’t see him going anywhere. 

Oh I agree, he's a good guy to have around. The only thing wrong with him is that he isn't a stud. Though looking at his numbers 5 of his 8 TD have come the week of Christmas or later. So maybe he would be a super saiyan in the playoffs, but Bengals.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was our starting tight end next year, nor would I be surprised if he's playing for another team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2021 at 5:13 PM, otg said:

We picked up undrafted Drue Chrisman. Huber was born in Cincinnati and went to UC. Chrisman was born 8 feet away from Cincinnati and went to high school there. So Huber has a slight edge on the important characteristic of do you have ties to; Cincinnati, the state of Ohio, or The Ohio State University. If we can stash Chrisman on the practice squad this could be Huber's last ride. Assuming we don't carry two punters all year or cut Huber in training camp.

 

Huber just came off one of his better years.  I don't think he needs to prove anything.  At some point age will knock him down a peg, but he's not someone i'd worry about replacing immediately next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...