2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I no longer care about drafting someone that fits the current system

Right now our current system is west coast suckage. We can certainly find almost to fit in that scheme while filling a need. Go Pepe! 

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Although there seems to be some good depth at the center position draft wise, I'm having a hard time seeing us skip this kid. 

We have to pray he makes it our Seattle pick. It’s not going to be top 10. Seattle has way too many winnable games left with or without Wilson. I feel like Philly takes him since their all-pro center is in a contract year and likely to retire. I don’t even wanna get my hopes up because this guy changes our OL completely. 

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

We have to pray he makes it our Seattle pick. It’s not going to be top 10. Seattle has way too many winnable games left with or without Wilson. I feel like Philly takes him since their all-pro center is in a contract year and likely to retire. I don’t even wanna get my hopes up because this guy changes our OL completely. 

I'm starting to doubt we will keep our top 5 pick unless Thibo is there. I don't see anyone in the top-5 range so far that I feel like we must have. If we trade back, then he'll probably be first pick. 

Linderbaum should still be there with our SEA pick. That's likely going to be a pick in the early teens... and I think he will still be there. And I think we grab him there. It's what we do at the top of the draft that I'm not sure about. If I had to guess right now... I'd guess. Hutchinson, Stingley or Neal.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Linderbaum should still be there with our SEA pick. That's likely going to be a pick in the early teens... and I think he will still be there. And I think we grab him there. It's what we do at the top of the draft that I'm not sure about. If I had to guess right now... I'd guess. Hutchinson, Stingley or Neal.

How do the edge rushers rank?

And are there/have there ever been any other OLs in the history of the league that were comprised of 4-5 1st round picks?

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

How do the edge rushers rank?

And are there/have there ever been any other OLs in the history of the league that were comprised of 4-5 1st round picks?

Dallas' OLine was trending that way a few years ago when they had...

Smith, Martin, Fredrick on the OL and got Collins as an UDFA (who was a 1st round talent, just fell bc of an allegation days before the draft). I even think former 1st rounder Cooper was there other OG that season when he was healthy too. There mistake with that team was not enough at WR (Dez was past his prime) and one of the worst defenses in the NFL (might have even been the worst).

Regarding the draft Thibs is a top talent at Edge. But unless we're drafting in the top 2-3 we don't stand a chance at getting him. Even with how bad we are... we still have a handful of winnable games this year with playing MIA twice, Houston, JAX and maybe even Philly. So I don't think we'll be drafting top 3. I think we'll be more around that 5-10 range. Putting guys like Thibs, Stingley and Hamilton more than likely gone. Which I'm ok with. I LOVE Thibs... I just know he's not a reality for us. And I just don't think S is enough value to draft that high and I'm not a fan of drafting Stingley who's only played a few games the last couple years. I also like the depth in this CB class as well (I'd argue Gardner and Elam are even better than Stingley). So who's the best of the rest?...

1. Evan Neal (OT/Bama): Dominant OLineman. Huge guy (6'7" 350) and he moves great. Has actually played all over the OL for Bama so he could plug and play in several spots for us. He's started at RT, OG and LT. Value wise... if he's there when we pick. He's the best value, if we're truly going BPA.

2. Aidan Hutchinson (Edge/Michigan): Would have been on more peoples radar if he didn't have a major injury last year. But he's had a very good year this year to show it didn't slow him down. Very much in that Bosa type mold. Not as good. But certainly can be a double digit sack guy for us. The question I have with Edge for us this high is... are they even going to play? Lawson hopefully recovers and is getting paid big. We just paid JFM. So where does a high drafted Edge go? Rotating in as a top 10 pick? I think we need to get a legit starter before getting a rotational piece. That being said.. I certainly wouldn't be upset at drafting Hutchinson bc the value is there.

3. Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jahan Dotson. They have very similar games as well. So it might come down to personality on who people like more. JD likes that leader type guy. So not sure which of them fit that... but I'd be happy with either. The other side of this is questioning of WR is a need for us? Depends... we are slated to lose Crowder, Cole, Berrios and Smith in FA. So we only have 3 WRs under contract next year in Davis, Moore and Mims. So we have to address WR in some capacity. We aren't playing Mims enough to see if he's an answer to know that those 3 can be our top guys. Maybe that changes as the year goes on. But I doubt it as long as Crowder and Cole are here (I'd like to trade them in all honesty). So WR certainly can be a need for us.

Drake London is the guy who I like a lot. But this system doesn't seem to love that Megatron type guy (I love that type FYI). So that's why I don't have him in there with this group. But personally I love the guy. 

4. Elam and Gardner at CB are also guy I like. Big physical CBs. If you look at the guys we drafted this last year that have actually played pretty well. Most of them are smaller. So to have a bigger physical CB to start on the outside opposite Hall can be valuable. The debate here for me is... this young CB group actually is playing well all things considered. So is CB really a top 10 need for us, when we have the NFLs worst offense? 

I think we come away with Stingley and Neal for our first 2 picks. This would help us out A LOT!! I think Stingley is a shut down CB that will be a major plus for us. Neal can fill in the RG and resign Moses for the RT spot. I don't think the C is a big of need as people think. I put CB, LB, RG, Edge, all above the C position. 

35 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think the C is a big of need as people think

I agree not because McGovern is so damned good, but because JD loves him.  If anything, I could see a day 2 OC selection as McGovern's replacement in 2023.

40 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I put CB, LB, RG, Edge, all above the C position. 

Edge and LB are tricky.  We have Lawson and JFM signed for big $.  Picking a high EDGE (except for Thibs) is more luxury at this point.  Thibs is a "take him and don't ever look back" pick.  At LB we have Mosely and Davis plus two converted S which they probably won't give up on just yet and admit a mistake.  CB we absolutely need.  I like Hall and Carter, but it really is tough to judge the remaining outside CB's because of the crap system being utilized.  I prefer a man shutdown CB.  But, yeah, CB is a high need as is RG.

If we can come away with a starting RG, outside CB, TE (McBride?) and future OC, in the first two rounds, I will be happy.  We can then work on backup OT (this is assuming Moses and/or Fant are still here), S, and future starting LB, and WR in rounds 3-7.  If Moses departs, then Neal would be awesome.  Keep Fant as a swing / backup.  Most likely he will need to fill in for Becton.  Again. 

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

I agree not because McGovern is so damned good, but because JD loves him.  If anything, I could see a day 2 OC selection as McGovern's replacement in 2023.

Edge and LB are tricky.  We have Lawson and JFM signed for big $.  Picking a high EDGE (except for Thibs) is more luxury at this point.  Thibs is a "take him and don't ever look back" pick.  At LB we have Mosely and Davis plus two converted S which they probably won't give up on just yet and admit a mistake.  CB we absolutely need.  I like Hall and Carter, but it really is tough to judge the remaining outside CB's because of the crap system being utilized.  I prefer a man shutdown CB.  But, yeah, CB is a high need as is RG.

If we can come away with a starting RG, outside CB, TE (McBride?) and future OC, in the first two rounds, I will be happy.  We can then work on backup OT (this is assuming Moses and/or Fant are still here), S, and future starting LB, and WR in rounds 3-7.  If Moses departs, then Neal would be awesome.  Keep Fant as a swing / backup.  Most likely he will need to fill in for Becton.  Again. 

McGovern is someone that can move to RG for us, where he's probably better. So if we do draft a C, McGovern can be kicked out there. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

McGovern is someone that can move to RG for us, where he's probably better. So if we do draft a C, McGovern can be kicked out there. 

True, but again, the JD factor has to be taken into account.  I think he would be better at RG since he won't have to call blocking assignments which he apparently sucks at doing.  I happen to like Lindstrom from BC at OC.  I am concerned about Linderbaum's size.  Against college DT's, he is great.  Will that hold up in the NFL?

3 hours ago, xrade said:

True, but again, the JD factor has to be taken into account.  I think he would be better at RG since he won't have to call blocking assignments which he apparently sucks at doing.  I happen to like Lindstrom from BC at OC.  I am concerned about Linderbaum's size.  Against college DT's, he is great.  Will that hold up in the NFL?

You can add 15-20 pounds on him and he will be in the 300 pound range. I'm not worried about that. I think he is the #1 center and Lindstrom is number 2 center. I think we can probably get one at the top of the second round. I just don't see 2 centers going in the first round. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk