College Football: 2023-24

rickyt31

Honestly haven’t done a ton of research outside of the bug name guys this year but I’m all in on Evan Neal. We can figure out the RT/LT stuff later but having him and Becton as our bookends would be fantastic. After that just take playmakers, offensive of defensive it doesn’t matter just get guys that can make an impact immediately

Just now, Dr.O said:

Honestly haven’t done a ton of research outside of the bug name guys this year but I’m all in on Evan Neal. We can figure out the RT/LT stuff later but having him and Becton as our bookends would be fantastic. After that just take playmakers, offensive of defensive it doesn’t matter just get guys that can make an impact immediately

I’m all for Neal as well. The guy is an OT. We can figure out who should be LT or RT with him and Becton in camp and the years ahead. Neal can also kick inside and play RG as a rookie if we need him to. I’d imagine we don’t go into the draft with no RT. Fant has a cuttable contract and Moses is a FA. So theres wiggle room.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m all for Neal as well. The guy is an OT. We can figure out who should be LT or RT with him and Becton in camp and the years ahead. Neal can also kick inside and play RG as a rookie if we need him to. I’d imagine we don’t go into the draft with no RT. Fant has a cuttable contract and Moses is a FA. So theres wiggle room.

Who will fill in for Becton when he goes down. Notice I said when not if.  Just keep Fant unless JD wants to go FA crazy which I doubt he does. 

I'm not against drafting Neal, but I'm also not against bringing back Moses or Fant at RT. This a pretty good RG class, so I don't feel like we have to force a pick in the first round if there are better options. Center wise, I definitely see it in the top-2 rounds but very likely in the first. 

Once when we make some coaching changes, add a new RG, Back up QB, RB (To pair with Carter), C, and TE, I believe we will be fine on offense. He's forcing a Packer's offense on a roster that would benefit from a Steeler's offense. 

21 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not against drafting Neal, but I'm also not against bringing back Moses or Fant at RT. This a pretty good RG class, so I don't feel like we have to force a pick in the first round if there are better options. Center wise, I definitely see it in the top-2 rounds but very likely in the first. 

Once when we make some coaching changes, add a new RG, Back up QB, RB (To pair with Carter), C, and TE, I believe we will be fine on offense. He's forcing a Packer's offense on a roster that would benefit from a Steeler's offense. 

OK Rick, you nailed it all the positions we must fill before the start of the 2022 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

RB (To pair with Carter)

Why?  What’s the matter with Ty. RB in this O does not require a big time stud. Why use  anything but a day three pick on a RBBC RB. And until the OL and LePew can demonstrate even remotely effective blocking and blocking schemes, why invest anything in a RB beyond what we currently have.  Too many other needs ATM. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Why?  What’s the matter with Ty. RB in this O does not require a big time stud. Why use  anything but a day three pick on a RBBC RB. And until the OL and LePew can demonstrate even remotely effective blocking and blocking schemes, why invest anything in a RB beyond what we currently have.  Too many other needs ATM. 

No one is banking on TJ and I didn't say we had to use a high pick on him. It could be in free agency. 

If we decided to resign Moses and use the top-2 picks on C or RG, 4/5 picks will be first round picks. Literally none of the top teams have that many. We are really over thinking what we think we need for a good offense. The biggest problem is coaching and we might find a good OC this offseason. 

Every year people act like we can just throw scraps at the RB position or find a starter in day 3, but we seem to never find someone. The last time we had a 1k rusher was 2015 and we were pretty good that year. Before that, Rex success was built off of defense and running. I'm always down for boosting the rushing attack. If there is a Chubb, Henry, Mixon, or Kamara type of RB in the 2nd or 3rd, I'm in. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

OK Rick, you nailed it all the positions we must fill before the start of the 2022 season.

Yeah, we use a good balance of draft and free agency, I think we will be fine on paper. We just need the right coach that knows what to do with players. 

I honestly think landing a top tier Center will help Zach and our entire OL tremendously.  I won't care if we grab OT and C but I think a top 15 pick C will fix things enough where we can get top talent at other positions.

Is a guy like Stingley or Elam worth it when CB is promising and arguably the least problematic position (at the moment)?

Like last season, our defense gets wrecked down the middle with terrible LB and S play, and the defense as a whole is terrible when the DL doesn't show up.  I am all in on Edge, Center, Safety, speedy LB, TE.

9 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Every year people act like we can just throw scraps at the RB position or find a starter in day 3, but we seem to never find someone. The last time we had a 1k rusher was 2015 and we were pretty good that year.

That’s because we have had a crap OL since then. I am all for an effective run game but until OL is fixed any RB we get will not perform as well as they should. I would just rather see what we have with a fixed OL before using any draft picks on RB  

And yes, the OC sucks and I think we can all agree on that. Until LePew schemes to his players strengths or we get a new OC,  we won’t even know what talent we have. 

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

That’s because we have had a crap OL since then. I am all for an effective run game but until OL is fixed any RB we get will not perform as well as they should. I would just rather see what we have with a fixed OL before using any draft picks on RB  

And yes, the OC sucks and I think we can all agree on that. Until LePew schemes to his players strengths or we get a new OC,  we won’t even know what talent we have. 

That's likely going to happen any way.  We don't have to replace all 5. We just need to replace 2. Via draft or free agency,  they definitely will be replaced. So we'll be able to fix the OL and get a RB if we wanted to.  

This isn't directed at you but I want people to really look at the OL of the winning teams. There are a lot more mid to late round picks starting for some of these lines than people think. 

I want us to jump on a top-2 center early,  but I can wait until the 2nd or 3rd for a RG if the talent is there.