2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Obviously depends how the season ends and where we pick....but would you guys rather use both 1sts to get the best pass rusher in the draft or go DE and CB with the first two picks?

Depend on who makes strong case to be taken in 1st as Edge.    Passively thinking leads me to the latter.

We will most likely have a couple areas of need.  Right now we all assume pass rusher, CB, TE, and maybe S and off ball LB. Maybe OG but we’ll see about that.

Simply stated, you pick the best player at one of those positions of need. Example, passing on Stingley to select the second best PR may not be the best use of resources.

4 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

True but Fant, McGovern, and GVR would all be decent cap savings for us next year if cut. The option for replacement is there for JD. 

Fant is a very valuable player even if he does not start.  We need a starting caliber backup/swing OT considering Becton's injury history.  I also expect Fant to be used a lot in jumbo packages as an eligible receiver.  I have hope that McGovern will recapture his above average play with AVT next to him instead of two scrubs.  GVR can go.  I guess the point is that I believe the OL is really just a RG away from being elite.  If we cant get a RG in FA next year, draft one in rounds two or later.  We do not need a line of all first rounders.  Too many other fish to fry before OL next year.  I would also like to see how our OL coach is able to actually develop players so we don't always have to invest high picks for top prospect.

Of course all this is speculation based on my assumption that they play like they should and not **** the bed.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Fant is a very valuable player even if he does not start.  We need a starting caliber backup/swing OT considering Becton's injury history.  I also expect Fant to be used a lot in jumbo packages as an eligible receiver.  I have hope that McGovern will recapture his above average play with AVT next to him instead of two scrubs.  GVR can go.  I guess the point is that I believe the OL is really just a RG away from being elite.  If we cant get a RG in FA next year, draft one in rounds two or later.  We do not need a line of all first rounders.  Too many other fish to fry before OL next year.  I would also like to see how our OL coach is able to actually develop players so we don't always have to invest high picks for top prospect.

Of course all this is speculation based on my assumption that they play like they should and not **** the bed.

A swing tackle that cost $10m though..?  McGovern and Fant would save $9m EACH next year if cut. $3.5m for GVR

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

A swing tackle that cost $10m though..?  McGovern and Fant would save $9m EACH next year if cut. $3.5m for GVR

McGovern was solid in 2nd half last year so if he continues being steady then there is no reason to exercise cheaper option at C after this season.

51 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

McGovern was solid in 2nd half last year so if he continues being steady then there is no reason to exercise cheaper option at C after this season.

Hey I'm all for continuity but that would make our (current) 3rd and 4th highest paid players a middling center and a swing tackle. To bring it back to College Football, I think we could see JD taking a center in the 2nd or 3rd resigning Moses and letting Fant walk or restructuring him. All this hinging on performance this year... 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk