Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

There's no point in trying to find the logic in it from a Packers organizational benefit because they've painted themselves in a corner somewhat if they want to win now. That said, they do want to win now, and it's going to happen. In other words they can't have their cake and eat it too. Once Rodgers has a contract that doesn't make it tenable to move on from him for another 3 years or so, Love will be given the opportunity to find a fit elsewhere via a trade. Gute isn't going to lose his job but he is going to have to take one on the chin for drafting Rodgers replacement too soon. By all accounts, Gute is man enough to take this one.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

There's no point in trying to find the logic in it from a Packers organizational benefit because they've painted themselves in a corner somewhat if they want to win now. That said, they do want to win now, and it's going to happen. In other words they can't have their cake and eat it too. Once Rodgers has a contract that doesn't make it tenable to move on from him for another 3 years or so, Love will be given the opportunity to find a fit elsewhere via a trade. Gute isn't going to lose his job but he is going to have to take one on the chin for drafting Rodgers replacement too soon. By all accounts, Gute is man enough to take this one.

Why does extending Rodgers necessitate a Love trade? As another poster said, unless you're getting a 1st or 2nd rounder for him, why not keep developing him, showcase him in preseason, and try to maximize your return on investment? Maybe he busts, but I don't get the sense in dealing him for a mid-rounder.

• Like 2

Just now, Lodestar said:

Why does extending Rodgers necessitate a Love trade? As another poster said, unless you're getting a 1st or 2nd rounder for him, why not keep developing him, showcase him in preseason, and try to maximize your return on investment? Maybe he busts, but I don't get the sense in dealing him for a mid-rounder.

If you could place a phone call to Love's (and Rodgers's) agent you'd get a very quick and clear answer. They don't have to act in haste and very well might try and showcase him in the preseason, but as I've said here before, Love will be elsewhere by next year's draft at the latest.

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

So we hope...

Thank God we appear to have hit on just about every other pick in the 2020 draft thus far except for Deguara(injury), Stepaniak(injury), Hanson(injury, then PS), and Garvin who actually made the final 53. Dillon had his coming out party against Tennessee obviously, Kamal Martin proved his knee injury was what was slowing him down in 2019, Runyan put in quality reps right off the bat in Week 1, and Vernon Scott made some great plays on ST's putting in some quality reps late in the season. The only real whiffs Gutey has had are the last 3 picks of the 2019 draft IMO, Sternberger though the jury is really still out on him, Josh Jackson who in all fairness had a top-25 grade on him from many scouts, J'Mon Moore, and Oren Burks who we all know was a gamble. So, one could argue that his drafts have actually gotten better FWIW.

11 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I think that's the hypothetical plan: fatten Love up and give him some game-time reps in the 3rd quarter of a game when you have the lead(a la Belichick with Jarrett Stidham circa 2019) and then see if you can pull a Garappolo.

9 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you could place a phone call to Love's (and Rodgers's) agent you'd get a very quick and clear answer. They don't have to act in haste and very well might try and showcase him in the preseason, but as I've said here before, Love will be elsewhere by next year's draft at the latest.

I think you're being a bit too optimistic here. Unless Love is THAT bad, which even I don't think he is, you don't deal him rapidly at this point.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

They'll need 4 QBs, as of this AM they had 1 who was going to show up to OTAs.

I had seen somewhere that they had signed a couple PFAs to participate as well but it appears that didn't happen/they won't be available, so a fair point.

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

So he can’t handle many reps is what you are saying?

lol nice

1 hour ago, Joe said:

In another thread, I argued that Love doesn't necessarily need to be Rodgers however. In other words, Love really just needs to be more of a game manager QB that makes a special play every once in awhile

Any NFL coach or exec who thinks this way is a loser and deserves to be fired on the spot. You should be looking to acquire elite talent at every position at all times. If you aren't doing that, you aren't a competitor and you aren't doing the best you can to win.

And yes, I understand that you aren't going to find elite talent in the 7th round or whatever. But A) that doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to get the best players you can, and B) Jordan Love was a guy they trade up to get in the first round. He's not a Day 3 scrub you're throwing a dart on. You don't trade up to get a first-round quarterback when you already have a Hall of Fame QB in his prime on the roster unless you think that guy is an absolute stud you can't afford to miss out on. Anything less than that is a massive indictment of either your scouting department, your coaching staff, or you.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

bortles is one of my favorite dudes in the league. love it. don't care if he starts 16 games and throws 30 picks. still love it. 

He looked good when he had Blackmon and Hurns, see what he can do with Devante..

1 hour ago, Blue said:

And yes, I understand that you aren't going to find elite talent in the 7th round or whatever. But A) that doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to get the best players you can, and B) Jordan Love was a guy they trade up to get in the first round. He's not a Day 3 scrub you're throwing a dart on. You don't trade up to get a first-round quarterback when you already have a Hall of Fame QB in his prime on the roster unless you think that guy is an absolute stud you can't afford to miss out on. Anything less than that is a massive indictment of either your scouting department, your coaching staff, or you.

I never said anything about elite QB talent in the 7th round. As to your B point: Jordan Love is boom-or-bust and that's been well-established here. Frankly, I think his accuracy is a major red flag, which should be viewed as a major indictment(your words, not mine) on our coaching staff. Why? because....

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

If Love becomes a game manager who sprinkles in wow throws and special plays here and there, that sounds pretty elite IMO.

I wouldn't consider that to be elite, but if the offense works and you can contend, if not win a Super Bowl then it works out in the long run TBH. 

Alex Smith has been the quintessential game-manager QB and given how our offense has functioned, that can get us to a Super Bowl with a top-5 defense provided the QB isn't a liability when asked to play outside of himself. I can't emphasize this enough: if Love can be a game manager QB, meaning he's efficient, doesn't turn the ball over, and can make a special play here and there then he can work out and be a more solid version of Eli Manning. 

The problem is that the more we read about Love's accuracy issues, the more alarming he is as a potential replacement and the bigger embarrassment he will be if he busts. Personally, I think he busts and throws us back to the 1970's when NOBODY wanted to play for us. The only way we recover from that is if we build from the OL out, draft a legit franchise QB, and provide solid receiving weapons and a solid running game.

Edited by Joe

I just hope they find out early if Love can play once he gets the opportunity.  I dont want one of these 8 year projects of hes on the brink, he's getting close.  If he sucks, this project is going to be dragged out forever isnt it?