Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

31 minutes ago, cannondale said:

At this point, to say Love would be the starter, you have to be deaf and blind. 

Why though? Imagine just for a PR perspective. You ran off AR for a guy who can't even beat out Blake Bortles in his second year...

5 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

What's the benefit from starting Bortles? He's not going to take us to the playoffs, he's not going to show anything better than what Rodgers showed last year to Love sitting behind him during an MVP year. Gotta let him take the lumps early so he can correct them quicker. You're just delaying his progression for no reason. Unless the guy absolutely doesn't know what he's doing or cant hit a WR in stride to save his life, you start him and see what he's got.

I'm with you here. I think it's crazy that they'd sit Love another year just to me m be mediocre with Bortles anyways. Bortles isn't here to be a starter if AR leaves. It's Blake Bortles

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm with you here. I think it's crazy that they'd sit Love another year just to me m be mediocre with Bortles anyways. Bortles isn't here to be a starter if AR leaves. It's Blake Bortles

Start Love .. sink or swim.  I think he's got plenty of athletic ability to work with.  It will be on LaFleur to come up with a winning scheme.  It's a big challenge for LaFleur, but that's why they pay him the big bucks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

Why though? Imagine just for a PR perspective. You ran off AR for a guy who can't even beat out Blake Bortles in his second year...

Head Coach: Love isn't ready

GM: Love isn't ready

Head Coach & GM: Sign Bortles instead of an UDFA from Central Maine AT&T like so many years before.

Fan: Love will start Week 1

MLF's job is to win games. He doesn't care about draft status

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

Due to the year that was 2020, this is still closer to Love's rookie year than a normal 2nd season. Maybe something along the lines of a Dolphins situation from a year ago would make sense if Rodgers is not back. Fitzpatrick started the first 7 games and Tagovailoa took over from there. It doesn't have to be start opening day or sit out the whole season. 

46 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Head Coach: Love isn't ready

GM: Love isn't ready

Head Coach & GM: Sign Bortles instead of an UDFA from Central Maine AT&T like so many years before.

Fan: Love will start Week 1

MLF's job is to win games. He doesn't care about draft status

His job is to win SBs I thought. Bortles can never win you one on this team. Get the young kid in early and start grooming him to do the absolute goal. Not the goal of winning 8 games with a bum. 

Also, everyone in that building who wants Aaron to stay, and I'm sure most everyone, also has some incentive to say Love isn't ready regardless of what they believe. 

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, R T said:

Due to the year that was 2020, this is still closer to Love's rookie year than a normal 2nd season. Maybe something along the lines of a Dolphins situation from a year ago would make sense if Rodgers is not back. Fitzpatrick started the first 7 games and Tagovailoa took over from there. It doesn't have to be start opening day or sit out the whole season. 

Why do you guys want me throw myself in front of a train so bad. I'm literally not sure I would watch a Bortles lead Packers team lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You should read the scouting reports on Patrick Mahomes sometime.  They read very similar to Love.  Strong arm.  Great movement.  Accuracy issues.  Takes too many risks....etc.

Boom or bust kind of guys.

I've read them, just like I read them about Deshone Kizer who like it or not had similar strengths and weaknesses coming out of ND.  Kizer played under exactly the same OC who is getting the majority of the blame for Love's deficiencies.  

While some of Love's risks were cringe worthy, his risk taking isn't my biggest issue with the guy.  The majority of his turnovers weren't 50/50 balls that he was lobbing up to crappy WRs.   Love had an alarming number of turnover worthy throws that were his first read, under 2 seconds.  

The pessimist in me has me wrong all the time so hopefully I'm wrong about him.  Hopefully he's the future hall of famer and instantaneous super star that people are so eager to compare him too.  

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

While some of Love's risks were cringe worthy, his risk taking isn't my biggest issue with the guy.  The majority of his turnovers weren't 50/50 balls that he was lobbing up to crappy WRs.   Love had an alarming number of turnover worthy throws that were his first read, under 2 seconds.  

Going through his INT portfolio from '19, maybe 3 or 4 were of the hero-ball variety. The vast majority were him flat out not seeing guys right in the throwing lane or robotically delivering on out-breaking routes that weren't open. Some of the latter were poor efforts by his WRs, but for a guy with such good mobility there's no compelling reason to make those throws. He doesn't see the field well, a problem that's going to take a whole lot of reps to fix.   

54 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We finally have a QB who loves drinkin' and rippin' cigs and you're still not happy. There's no pleasing you @Norm.

I just don't want him to start lol

Look. If we could erase the fact Rodgers was ever here and last year Bortles was our starter in front of rookie Love, wouldn't everyone on Earth be ready for Love to play now?

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

Going through his INT portfolio from '19, maybe 3 or 4 were of the hero-ball variety. The vast majority were him flat out not seeing guys right in the throwing lane or robotically delivering on out-breaking routes that weren't open. Some of the latter were poor efforts by his WRs, but for a guy with such good mobility there's no compelling reason to make those throws. He doesn't see the field well, a problem that's going to take a whole lot of reps to fix.   

I have been meaning to bring this up, but is Love really all that mobile? That never felt like a big part of his game to me