Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

22 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Start with a viewpoint. Tailor your description of a player to fit that narrative. Got it.

Not understanding this complaint.  So when posters use excuses to rationalize Love's deficiencies that isn't tailoring a description to fit a narrative?  Is it as simple as hating any opinion that doesn't associate the kid with a first ballot HOFer for not much reason other than he's a Packer?  

Nothing I posted in that post was factually incorrect.  Someone with a more positive outlook in regards to Love may make some excuses for some of the issues but it doesn't mean I was wrong.  I'll never be a guy who's going to use excuses to heavily influence my opinion of a player one way or the other.  I can't objectively look at Love's 2019 season and lump him in with a guy like Patrick Mahomes.  It's exactly the same reason I was down on a guy like Rashan Gary despite being a former Michigan season ticket holder.   I'm not nor will I ever pawn myself off as an expert like others around here that belittle any and all opinions that differ from their own. When I watched Patrick Mahomes tape from 2016, I did not see the massive black eyes that showed up in Love's 2019 tape.  Maybe I'm spoiled by Aaron Rodgers but the success rate of fixing turnover prone QBs in the NFL isn't all that great and there is nothing I hate more than turnovers.  

You've never, not once, heard me give excuses for Love's good plays (ie giving another player credit or crediting an offensive scheme) so I will always struggle to accept excuses for his bad ones.  

Edited by SSG

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Disagree, if he's not ready yet, he doesn't start.  There's a lot a stake here for Gute.  If Love fails by being thrown out there early, Gute fails.  Love had no live snaps last year.  If your job depended on Loves success, what would you do??  

I'm easing this kid in his development, spoonfeeding him the offense.  If I can stay competitive in the division with Bortles for a year and probably win it, its an easy decision.

But you're not staying competitive with Bortles though lol.  

If it was my job and Love is the future I give him every chance to start this season. Obviously if Love starts throwing picks left and right during Training camp and Preseason or doesn't show he can function in this offense, you don't throw him out there. But if Love shows promise in these live preseason games you start him over Bortles. Bortles isn't really setting the bar high to beat out anyways. If Love can't beat him out Gute will look like a failure just as much as if he fails week 1 or week 8. 

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You know who had similar abominations for college INT % ? Scrubs like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Deshaun Watson. 

Guys play hero ball in college all the time. It's not a difficult thing to fix.

Accuracy/ball placement is a lot harder and Love is above average there.

Neither Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson have a college season where their INT % approached anywhere close to the gaudy number Love had in his final season at Utah State.  Neither seen clear regression across the board either.  Both also seen their success in Power 5 conferences not the Mountain West that seen just 3 players drafted in this last draft.

Josh Allen on the other hand.  While he improved it substantially his last year at Wyoming, his INT % in 2016 was awful.  Had Josh Allen the prospect been Green Bay's first round pick in 2021 I'd have disliked the pick more than I disliked the Love pick.  I'd have been more than happy to have been wrong about Allen.  Guys with his sort of accuracy coming out of college don't generally have very long careers in the NFL.  Josh Allens and Brett Favres should be considered outliers not what's expected.  

7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Disagree, if he's not ready yet, he doesn't start.  There's a lot a stake here for Gute.  If Love fails by being thrown out there early, Gute fails.  Love had no live snaps last year.  If your job depended on Loves success, what would you do??  

I'm easing this kid in his development, spoonfeeding him the offense.  If I can stay competitive in the division with Bortles for a year and probably win it, its an easy decision.

Not sure I agree.  The list of franchise QBs that needed to sit on the bench for half their rookie contract is very, very small.  I can think of 2 players and we've got no idea if 12 was good enough to start in year 2 or not.  

If QB is this team's biggest issue it wouldn't make much sense to keep Love on the bench.  This isn't a team contending regardless if it's Love or Bortles and the talent around him on offense might be as good as it ever gets.  Adams, Tonyan and MVS are all in contract years with no serviceable replacements for them currently on the roster.  The team will have to see what they have in him when the bullets are real.  By waiting 1 or 2 more seasons you are only delaying the team competing for a championship in the situation where Love is a bust.  With this turmoil with 12, I don't think either Gute or MLF will have the luxury of 4 or 5 years to get the GBP back into contention.  

Blake Bortles is a practice squad caliber of QB who's likely got no business being a QB1 on a NFL team.  He's been passed on multiple depth charts over the last 2 years by guys who will never be considered starting caliber QBs (Wolford, Jeff Driskel & Brett Rypien).  He's a great camp arm and below average back up but I can't envision a team winning very many games with him as their starter.  

Edited by SSG

NFL Draft Picks Skill Positions from each: 

Watson - Mike Williams, Jordan Leggett, Hunter Renfrow, Wayne Gallman, Zac Brooks, Deon Cain 

Mahomes - Jakeem Grant, Deandre Washington, Keke Coutee, Dylan Cantrell 

Love - Darwin Thompson

I assume if we looked at the OL we would see a couple draft picks for both Mahomes & Watson and none for Love. Simple fact is Love carried that team. I don't think that means he is going to be good pro but he played with crap in college for almost his entire college career. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Not understanding this complaint.  So when posters use excuses to rationalize Love's deficiencies that isn't tailoring a description to fit a narrative?  Is it as simple as hating any opinion that doesn't associate the kid with a first ballot HOFer for not much reason other than he's a Packer?

It's mostly your choice of words. For example, your sentence says "excuses to rationalize Love's deficiencies". You didn't say something like "Reasons for Love playing less well in his final year". Two very different ways to describe the same thing. 

You don't like him, never liked the choice, even though you have very little idea of what he will look like after two years in the system. Just to give one example, Aaron Rodgers was not that great in his first two years in Green Bay. He gave up a lot of interceptions............so very different to how he looked a year or two later.

If you don't think Love will amount to anything, that's fine, but your view is based on not very much, while my take is wait and see.

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

But you're not staying competitive with Bortles though lol.  

If it was my job and Love is the future I give him every chance to start this season. Obviously if Love starts throwing picks left and right during Training camp and Preseason or doesn't show he can function in this offense, you don't throw him out there. But if Love shows promise in these live preseason games you start him over Bortles. Bortles isn't really setting the bar high to beat out anyways. If Love can't beat him out Gute will look like a failure just as much as if he fails week 1 or week 8. 

After Hawk's comments today it should end the Bortles or Love debate. The only way either sees the field is if Rodgers is injured.  

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what did AJ Hawk enlighten us about today?

When asked about how the Rodgers-Packers situation ends, he said something along the lines of 'the only way it ends is with Rodgers back in GB'. Hawk has been very careful about talking about Rodgers, yet today he freely offers that. James Jones, Kuhn and Hawk have all been mouthpieces for Rodgers over the past week or so. Just think Rodgers has gotten the things he wanted from management and is trying to ease this back to it was no big deal all along. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

When asked about how the Rodgers-Packers situation ends, he said something along the lines of 'the only way it ends is with Rodgers back in GB'. Hawk has been very careful about talking about Rodgers, yet today he freely offers that. James Jones, Kuhn and Hawk have all been mouthpieces for Rodgers over the past week or so. Just think Rodgers has gotten the things he wanted from management and is trying to ease this back to it was no big deal all along. 

Got it. Found the link and listened to it. Very much just sounded like that's what he wants to happen to me. I took nothing more from it than that.