Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

2 hours ago, fattlipp said:

He looked good when he had Blackmon and Hurns, see what he can do with Devante..

Allen Robinson and Hurns (Blackmon's last game was the year before Bortles got drafted, and he was pretty terrible anyways), but he did have one good year with those guys.

For some quirky reason, every time I hear Bortles name, I think of Bartyles, as in "Bartyles and James" winecoolers. (It's a Gen X thing). Ok, back to serious discussion...So, say hypothetically they trade Rodgers after June 2nd, they get some picks in return. Is it beyond possibility that some of that gained draft collateral could be used to move up and get a top QB prospect--a more promising one than Love--in an upcoming draft? So, should Love not pan out, it would not necessarily be the end of the world, would it? Or is the timeframe too long to find out if Love is going to pan out or not, and by the time you know, those gained draft picks would've already been spent? Or am I just bloody overthinking this?

Edited by DWhitehurst

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If you could place a phone call to Love's (and Rodgers's) agent you'd get a very quick and clear answer. They don't have to act in haste and very well might try and showcase him in the preseason, but as I've said here before, Love will be elsewhere by next year's draft at the latest.

So Love has no value to the team?  Still don't understand why they would trade him for peanuts.  If Rodgers comes back I'd still like to hang on to him regardless.  A decent back up has value no?  We have no idea what Love is at this point.  If he can play we should keep him.  Nice insurance to have. If he proves exceptional I'd pony up on his 5th year option.  This kid probably won't be ready to start for another 2 seasons anyway.  He is a project this was known.  If he's a bust then by all means trade him away.  We'll have to draft another one.  I thought the timing was right.  We really didn't burn that much draft capital either.  You are talking a late 1st round and late 4th round pick. 

Franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  If the Packers deem Love has the goods trading him would be foolish. If he sucks trade him and we'll need to start looking again in the 2023 draft. Don't fault Gute at all it's his job to make sure we always have a decent QB under center.  He probably realizes he may have to take a couple of QB's to get it right. Throwing rookie QB's into the fire is never a good idea either.  Ideally we would want the successor to have at least a couple of years of development before putting him out there.  Best thing Rodgers can do is continue to work hard and keep Love on the bench because he is playing great.  It's highly unlikely the Packers will stumble on a QB that is going to beat him out. I mean common the chances of that are extremely remote.  

Only thing I can read into your logic is Love will want his shot and demand a trade.  Rodgers rode the pine for 3 years so can Love. Being stacked at QB would be a wonderful position to be in.  Bottom line it wasn't a mistake to draft him.  Just being a quality back up is still worth it. Trading him for peanuts only makes sense if he sucks.  Then we try again in 2023. 

23 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

For some quirky reason, every time I hear Bortles name, I think of Bartyles, as in "Bartyles and James" winecoolers. (It's a Gen X thing). Ok, back to serious discussion...So, say hypothetically they trade Rodgers after June 2nd, they get some picks in return. Is it beyond possibility that some of that gained draft collateral could be used to move up and get a top QB prospect in an upcoming draft? So, should Love not pan out, it would not necessarily be the end of the world, would it? Or is time frame too long to find out if Love is going to pan out or not, and by the time you know, those gained draft picks would've already been spent?

That is a great question. Think they would know by the time 2023 draft rolls around.  If he busts our record will probably suck and we can pair that 1st with the 2023 1st we get in trade to move up.  Think either way 2023 will be the year where we need to make a decision on him.  Expecting the kid to have a fairly rough preseason.  The more reps we can get him the better. By 2022 he should for sure beat out Bortles and win the starting gig or something is wrong.  If Rodgers is gone expect Bortles to be the starter at least initially.  Don't think we will have our answer regardless until after the 2022 season.  It's not out of the realm of possiblity that Bortles plays well.  Thought it was a great signing he could surprise.  Yah just never know.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

I never said anything about elite QB talent in the 7th round. As to your B point: Jordan Love is boom-or-bust and that's been well-established here. Frankly, I think his accuracy is a major red flag, which should be viewed as a major indictment(your words, not mine) on our coaching staff. Why? because....

Alex Smith has been the quintessential game-manager QB and given how our offense has functioned, that can get us to a Super Bowl with a top-5 defense provided the QB isn't a liability when asked to play outside of himself. I can't emphasize this enough: if Love can be a game manager QB, meaning he's efficient, doesn't turn the ball over, and can make a special play here and there then he can work out and be a more solid version of Eli Manning.

I was addressing a potential counterargument, like any intelligent person making a point.

Are you even listening to yourself? What tf has Alex Smith ever won of any significance? How many teams have a top-5 defense (hint: it's in the name), and how many of those teams have one consistently? Maintaining a high quality defense is extremely hard and requires either absolutely elite, Aaron Donald/JJ Watt in their primes levels of talent or consistently top-notch drafting. Green Bay doesn't have a top-5 defense and hasn't in over a decade. If that's the kind of talent you need for your quarterback to succeed, you don't have a quarterback.

Game managers don't contend for Super Bowls. If you're grotesquely lucky, like the Eagles were when Carson Wentz got hurt, you might luck into one. And while I'm sure winning a single Super Bowl over the course of your quarterback's career might be fine and dandy for y'all, I think that NFL teams should be aiming much higher.

11 hours ago, Joe said:

Then look at the other two...

Really wish I had found the USA Today report sooner.

Me too!  I'd love for you to regurgitate, again,  someone else's opinion who has little to do with how the NFL views talent.

• Like 4

This Bortles move is the first time I've felt like the organization is thinking that there is a chance Rodgers is not coming back.

The only thing that could sway me is this....camp arm.  Typically you have two or three guys on the roster who have been in the system and can throw in camp while knowing the offense.  Then you have a few new guys throwing stuff and they don't really know the offense.

There is a benefit to having a camp arm that knows the system.  And that is Bortles.

I think Bortles may actually make this team as insurance even if Rodgers stays.  Whats important here is Love gets the reps in practice and in the preseason games.  Bortles is here for a year, he might take on Loves role from last year, technically be the third QB in practice but step in ahead of Love if Rodgers gets hurt.

Edited by NFLGURU

14 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

In all seriousness this is a good thing. If Rodgers doesn’t come back we have a vet to step in.  I think he could be okay.

We would really find out what kind of coach MLF is. 

I was actively rooting for Goff to go down when Bortles was backing him up - "let's see McVay REALLY earn his pay these next few weeks!" 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-mahomes/32004d41-4840-1939-e4c1-bb89191b4e71

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017pmahomes.php

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687975-nfl-draft-400-ranking-the-drafts-top-qbs

From NFL.com; 6.3 grade.  Will become starter in 2 years.  Work in progress.  Boom or bust pick.  Balls sail on him.  Too impatient.  Needs better touch on throws.

From Walterfootball (ha).  Needs work under center.  Deep balls sail on him.  Mechanical issues.  Throws across the field too much.  Reckless with the football.  Rated as a second round pick.

BleacherReport (Matt Miller).  Has Brett Favre in him.  Good and bad.  College system has not produced good quarterbacks.  Needs to learn how to read a defense without his coach holding up signs to identify the defense.  Player comp was Blake Bortles.  Rated as a second round pick.  Just ahead of DeShone Kizer.

All of the pre-draft stuff that I read about Mahomes read the same.  Boom or bust.  Inaccurate.  Bad footwork, needs help under center....etc.  Balls sail, inaccurate.  Like someone wrote it once and others just piled on.

I mean, if we are to take the pre-draft article as gospel, well, Mahomes was a solid second round pick with a boom or bust makeup to him and who had accuracy issues.

Sounds pretty similar to someone that we have on the roster right now.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

This Bortles move is the first time I've felt like the organization is thinking that there is a chance Rodgers is not coming back.

The only thing that could sway me is this....camp arm.  Typically you have two or three guys on the roster who have been in the system and can throw in camp while knowing the offense.  Then you have a few new guys throwing stuff and they don't really know the offense.

There is a benefit to having a camp arm that knows the system.  And that is Bortles.

I thought they would go with Mullens, but I'm sure the relationship between Hackett and Bortles was the deal sealer.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's protection. It's prudent. It's a smart move.

Not saying "Bortles level" talent couldnt be found elsewhere - but the GB roster is built to win now. We've twisted and squeezed the cap rag pretty well.  We didnt sell off top talent (or let it walk) - we resigned it. We moved enough money into the near future to get things done without a calamitous "cap hell" - with intent (I guess....) to get to that new TV contract money when things will lighten up.

Love's not ready. Its questionable if he'd had a full off season in 2020 if he'd be ready now. No way to tell - but - GB never intended him to be ready now. GB's intent was to ride AR till 2022 at the earliest.

So Bortles is protection in case AR decides to sit for awhile.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Are you even listening to yourself? What tf has Alex Smith ever won of any significance? How many teams have a top-5 defense (hint: it's in the name), and how many of those teams have one consistently? Maintaining a high quality defense is extremely hard and requires either absolutely elite, Aaron Donald/JJ Watt in their primes levels of talent or consistently top-notch drafting. Green Bay doesn't have a top-5 defense and hasn't in over a decade. If that's the kind of talent you need for your quarterback to succeed, you don't have a quarterback.

Thank you, you just made my point for me about Jordan Love...

Again, he only needs to be a game manager QB initially, but I honestly think that's the best he'll be able to do in this league unless his accuracy significantly improves.

We messed up on this one....big time...