Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Thank you, you just made my point for me about Jordan Love...

Again, he only needs to be a game manager QB initially, but I honestly think that's the best he'll be able to do in this league unless his accuracy significantly improves.

We messed up on this one....big time...

You've absolutely no basis for reaching that conclusion. None.

Let the guy actually play some NFL games before you declare him DOA.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

You've absolutely no basis for reaching that conclusion. None.

Let the guy actually play some NFL games before you declare him DOA.

Look.  I'm not in the business of defending @Joe.  But, he isn't wrong.  The drafting of Love instead of someone else who may have helped Aaron "win now" is what has triggered this event.

I don't think it has anything to do with the talent of Love.  So I can leave that out of the equation.  But had we drafted someone else, had the success we did, Aaron would have re-done his deal, signed an extension and we would be on our merry way.  (With an aging QB who may or may not have had an MVP year.)

But we didn't.  We had a QB who had regressed for 2-3 years prior to the drafting of Love.  An aging QB who was regressing.  With a contract that was going to be an "easy out" in a few years.  I do not fault the organization for the drafting of Love.  But it was that one pick that set this thing off. 

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Love's not ready. Its questionable if he'd had a full off season in 2020 if he'd be ready now. No way to tell - but - GB never intended him to be ready now. GB's intent was to ride AR till 2022 at the earliest.

So Bortles is protection in case AR decides to sit for awhile.

You have no idea if he’s ready or not or what their specific intentions for him were or are at the moment. It’s all speculation and opinion until we hear it from MLF. Maybe Gute told Aaron that Divergent sucks lol. 

If Rodgers returns, Bortles prolly doesn’t make the 53.  If Rodgers is traded, Bortles will back up Love who starts week 1. Again, this is all speculation but I feel like we wouldn’t be at such an impasse if Gute & MLF didn’t feel like they could move forward with Love as THE guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Thank you, you just made my point for me about Jordan Love...

Again, he only needs to be a game manager QB initially, but I honestly think that's the best he'll be able to do in this league unless his accuracy significantly improves.

We messed up on this one....big time...

You're just so off on this one. You need to take a step back and look at who Love is. A game manager is a mindset derived from a skillset.

Jordan Love has a big, live arm and has grown up with it through all levels of football. Just like Elway, Marino, Favre, Losman, Russell, Vick, Mahomes, Rodgers and on down the list. 

These guys grow up trusting their arm, their entire QB persona is derived from it. They make throws they believe they can make because of the arm they have.

Game managers like Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, etc.. have always relied on the system they play in for their success because they know they're limited.

Jordan Love will NEVER be a game manager. He's going to grip it and rip it, and quite frankly he'll either be a franchise QB, or he'll suck. Stop saying game manager.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

You have no idea if he’s ready or not or what their specific intentions for him were or are at the moment. I

He's not taken a snap in an NFL game. Till he does....takes quite a few of them in fact....I feel safe in saying he's not ready.

It's not like he came out of college all gang busters. His Senior season is a write off - or we choose to do so at least - based on loss of roster talent, coaching etc. Okay - fine. So we're reaching back to his successful times - as a Junior.

He's not ready - and - he doesnt give GB the best opportunity moving forward. Not while AR's around. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Look.  I'm not in the business of defending @Joe.  But, he isn't wrong.  The drafting of Love instead of someone else who may have helped Aaron "win now" is what has triggered this event.

I wouldn't deny the possibility that this is a trigger (though that isn't certain). However, that doesn't make it a bad pick. It might be an excellent pick. This is unknown at this time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the talent of Love.  So I can leave that out of the equation.  But had we drafted someone else, had the success we did, Aaron would have re-done his deal, signed an extension and we would be on our merry way.  (With an aging QB who may or may not have had an MVP year.)

But we didn't.  We had a QB who had regressed for 2-3 years prior to the drafting of Love.  An aging QB who was regressing.  With a contract that was going to be an "easy out" in a few years.  I do not fault the organization for the drafting of Love.  But it was that one pick that set this thing off. 

I think the selection was warranted based on ARs declining performance on the field. I've continually said that so long as ARs performance stays at a high level (not MVP level mind you.....) GB's not going to move on from him.  Certainly not this year - when Love's gotten zero real game time experience because of COVID19.

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I wouldn't deny the possibility that this is a trigger (though that isn't certain). However, that doesn't make it a bad pick. It might be an excellent pick. This is unknown at this time.

I'm not faulting the pick at all.  

But there is no way we are at this impasse had GB drafted someone to "help" Rodgers last year.  As in, not a QB.

That's all I'm saying.  If you wanted to point at how we came to this point, that is the spot you pick.  

That says absolutely nothing about the talent that Love does or does not have.  It says nothing about Love as a player.  It has everything about Love being the first pick last year and being a QB as opposed to someone who could have played and "helped" somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think the selection was warranted based on ARs declining performance on the field. I've continually said that so long as ARs performance stays at a high level (not MVP level mind you.....) GB's not going to move on from him.  Certainly not this year - when Love's gotten zero real game time experience because of COVID19.

I agree.

But if you are Aaron Rodgers and have gotten to this point, well, that point isn't here had GB drafted someone else that could have "helped" the roster.  

If you look at the pick like that, then yes, it was a screw up.

I personally do not.  But it is a pretty easy point to see.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's not taken a snap in an NFL game. Till he does....takes quite a few of them in fact....I feel safe in saying he's not ready.

It's not like he came out of college all gang busters. His Senior season is a write off - or we choose to do so at least - based on loss of roster talent, coaching etc. Okay - fine. So we're reaching back to his successful times - as a Junior.

He's not ready - and - he doesnt give GB the best opportunity moving forward. Not while AR's around. 

1st rd QB picks play sooner than later. Stashing Love behind Rodgers seems to be a luxury we may no longer be able to afford. We’ve seen endless 1st rd QBs start well before we thought they were ready. Most didn’t get to sit behind a HOF QB for a RS year either. 

We won’t know until we see him in action. As posted on the previous page, Mahomes didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Texas Tech now did he?  Love wouldn’t be the first QB with ? marks out of college who went on to set the league on fire. Let’s hope he follows Mahomes’ success with his own. 

Think about it.

Make a list of first round QB's who had to play right away.  As in, no sitting.  Once the list is done, see how many are now "elite", "average", or "cooked".

Then make that list of first round QB's who sat and learned.  Determine "sat" however you wish, X amount of games....etc.  Then once that is done, see how many are now "elite, "average" or "cooked".

I haven't done it, but I'd bet that the best odds of QB success in league happens with guys who sit for a period of time.

The problem with Love is COVID for his rookie year.  Hopefully he learned a lot and puts it to use this year.  

16 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

1st rd QB picks play sooner than later. Stashing Love behind Rodgers seems to be a luxury we may no longer be able to afford. We’ve seen endless 1st rd QBs start well before we thought they were ready. Most didn’t get to sit behind a HOF QB for a RS year either. 

We won’t know until we see him in action. As posted on the previous page, Mahomes didn’t exactly set the world on fire at Texas Tech now did he?  Love wouldn’t be the first QB with ? marks out of college who went on to set the league on fire. Let’s hope he follows Mahomes’ success with his own. 

Correct. We wont know until we see him in action.

Thats not happened - so - till if does, the basis for determining if he's ready or not......is his Junior year.

He's not ready IMO.

That will change - or become an informed opinion - once I actually see him on an NFL field.

I've confidence in his abilities based on the FO assessment.

I'm gonna presume Mahomes got some preseason playing time his rookie year. Dont follow KC all that closely - so thats an assumption.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

This Bortles move is the first time I've felt like the organization is thinking that there is a chance Rodgers is not coming back.

The only thing that could sway me is this....camp arm.  Typically you have two or three guys on the roster who have been in the system and can throw in camp while knowing the offense.  Then you have a few new guys throwing stuff and they don't really know the offense.

There is a benefit to having a camp arm that knows the system.  And that is Bortles.

I don't think it has any bearing on Rodgers at all.  Rodgers will do what Rodgers does.

Bortles is to challenge Love.  Bortles has 73 starts, and was 4 points away from the Super Bowl in 2017, with the current Packers OC.