How would you feel if...?

Mid Iowa

I'll just let your imagination wander here...

We have a few QB's on the roster. The Packers have a few also, which they're obviously stock piling in the event of an Aaron Rogers departure.

How would you feel if Aaron Rogers were announced as the next starting QB of the New Orleans Saints?

12 hours ago, Dome said:

Depends who/what we gave up to get him.

I still have a good feeling about Winston, but on the surface, I'd probably dump a few 1st rounders for 3 more years with Rogers. That said, he's 37 (minus 4 years of bench time) and Father Time is undefeated.

I've also watch and old Peyton Manning and Tom Brady win rings with the right teams. I think I'd forgo a few 1st rounds for another Lombardi trophy.

But then there's the salary to worry about. I'm not sure we could make that work.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I still have a good feeling about Winston, but on the surface, I'd probably dump a few 1st rounders for 3 more years with Rogers. That said, he's 37 (minus 4 years of bench time) and Father Time is undefeated.

I've also watch and old Peyton Manning and Tom Brady win rings with the right teams. I think I'd forgo a few 1st rounds for another Lombardi trophy.

But then there's the salary to worry about. I'm not sure we could make that work.

2 First is the max I'd give up.  That's the expected window for him to win a Super Bowl with the Saints.  Past that time and who knows if he massively regresses or not.  If he was 5 years younger, then you give up a lot more, but at 37 with his injury history and diva attitude, you give up 2 1sts hoping he buys in and wins 1-2 Super Bowls in that time frame otherwise you're better off hoping to hit in the draft on a QB, though I don't think there are any bit prospects at QB for another 2 or so years that would be entering the draft.

• Like 1

Saints aren't in a position to give Aaron what he wants... yes we have the roster but what players would have to be included within the package to get him? Also our draft picks would get depleted limiting our ability to add or restock peices around him to put us over the top. Finally and most importantly, Aaron is in this situation because he wants his franchise to commit to him and go all in like the Bucs did with Brady. Just like the Saints did with Brees. The problem is that by going all in with Brees we pushed our cap to the breaking point which coincided with many of our young core players needing lucrative extentions. The fact is that we simply cannot give Aaron the all in aspect others can at this point and we will be feeling the affects of our cap issues for at least another 2 years. The Saints front office is doing exactly what they need to be doing... get core players extended, fill roster with young cheap rookies and hope either Winston, Hill or Book hit at quarterback. If not, look into the 2023 draft for a franchise signal caller.

Yeah, I know we can't afford him. I think the Packers offered him something like $48mill per year and he didn't even bat an eye at refusing it.

That doesn't mean he wants more (but who knows), but certainly means he's seriously done with the Packers.

There are a few deadlines to watch. 
1) Dead cap space on the Packer's behalf, so they'll keep him until after June 1 to ease the cap hit over the next 2 seasons. Saves them something like $22million for next season. 
2) Mandatory mini camp is June 15-17. If he misses that, they'll dock him $95,877 (not that he needs it, but it's a chunk).
3) OTAs in July are 10 days long. Skipping those are $50k per day.
4) If he misses a pre season game he'll be fined the equivalent of a game check, which is $816,666.67 for him. That's getting serious.

I don't think he's interested in missing time at 37 years old, but the Packers certainly want to wait until after the June 1st deadline.

5 hours ago, Dome said:

Why do you guys hate Rodgers?

Because he's not on my team. ...and that stupid title belt thing he used to do... ...and I live in the Mid-west, so all we have heard about for the past 20 years is Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre...oh, wait, Aaron Rogers, Aaron Rogers, Aaron Rogers.

It would certainly be different if I were a Packers fan.