Who, When and Where?

DaWg_LB.

19 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I mean, there wasn't practice last year and it was our best year since the return. Every other year there were voluntary and mandatory OTAs and we never won a playoff game in any of those years.

We had a whole new coaching staff and no practice time and still...

I highly doubt that there is a correlation between OTAs or not and playoff appearances.

What Stefanski and his staff did last year was remarkable under the circumstances.

I just can't help but think that they will do even better with some return to normalcy, and would like them to have that chance, without union/player interference.

20 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I mean, there wasn't practice last year and it was our best year since the return. Every other year there were voluntary and mandatory OTAs and we never won a playoff game in any of those years.

We had a whole new coaching staff and no practice time and still...

Are you saying Hue Jackson had a detrimental effect on our guys? Bold statement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

I highly doubt that there is a correlation between OTAs or not and playoff appearances.

It may indicate that they aren't as necessary as most of us thought they were. Maybe with a turnover at QB but otherwise it's probably overrated. Football didn't have a noticeable decline throughout the league last year.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It may indicate that they aren't as necessary as most of us thought they were. Maybe with a turnover at QB but otherwise it's probably overrated. Football didn't have a noticeable decline throughout the league last year.

It’s almost as if guys who’ve been playing football for 10-25 years don’t magically forget how to play every spring.

Rookies could use the reps, sure, but vets shouldn’t/don’t need nearly as much time.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s almost as if guys who’ve been playing football for 10-25 years don’t magically forget how to play every spring.

Rookies could use the reps, sure, but vets shouldn’t/don’t need nearly as much time.

LOL, I remember when this was debated and some thought Marty was "dumb" for a rust factor:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/235207-lt-preseason-games-bad-idea

Dude didn't have a preseason TOUCH in like 5+ years...the last one was his 5th season in the NFL.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

LOL, I remember when this was debated and some thought Marty was "dumb" for a rust factor:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/235207-lt-preseason-games-bad-idea

Dude didn't have a preseason TOUCH in like 5+ years...the last one was his 5th season in the NFL.

Well last year gave us so much data that we never had before that it certainly changed my perspective. I didn't want the preseason shortened at all, mostly so the younger guys could get reps and have a chance to make the team as well as our chance to find a diamond in the rough.

However, after a year where there was no preseason games and nearly no on field practice we saw the vets didn't have any issues and even the rookies seemed to be on par with rookie classes in previous years.

Yeah there is a lot of work they had to do and you certainly need to be conditioned but once you have the playbook down and are in football shape I think the rest of the stuff has been marginalized.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well last year gave us so much data that we never had before that it certainly changed my perspective. I didn't want the preseason shortened at all, mostly so the younger guys could get reps and have a chance to make the team as well as our chance to find a diamond in the rough.

However, after a year where there was no preseason games and nearly no on field practice we saw the vets didn't have any issues and even the rookies seemed to be on par with rookie classes in previous years.

Yeah there is a lot of work they had to do and you certainly need to be conditioned but once you have the playbook down and are in football shape I think the rest of the stuff has been marginalized.

IMO, give the starters about a quarter the 1st game, a half the 3rd game, and don't play them at all past that...and I wouldn't let Chubb or Hunt play at all in any of them.

The risk/reward of losing a premier starter in a total nonsense game just isn't worth it to me. Give those young guys the valuable reps they need, see if anyone can shine in a game situation, and prevent the rust due to lack of rhythm on the offensive end.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, give the starters about a quarter the 1st game, a half the 3rd game, and don't play them at all past that...and I wouldn't let Chubb or Hunt play at all in any of them.

The risk/reward of losing a premier starter in a total nonsense game just isn't worth it to me. Give those young guys the valuable reps they need, see if anyone can shine in a game situation, and prevent the rust due to lack of rhythm on the offensive end.

Our 2nd team oline would be able to give some good comp to average dline too, let them go out and play. Totally agree about chubb and hunt, no utility giving then touches in the preseason.

Guys like marvin wilson will probably wreck bad oline let's see him against 1s. 

I'd much rather see greedy go vs the 1s than ward, same with delpit and jj3.

• 2 weeks later...