Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

@soulmanawesome read, thank you for sharing.

Look I think everyone on this board wants to see Justin Fields play sooner rather than later. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the best case scenario is for Andy Dalton to have an exceptional season (not likely, I know) which affords Fields to learn at his pace (whether slow or fast). It's like the coaching staff has said, once they know Justin Fields is ready, everyone will know.

Maybe that means we're 5-4 or 6-3 heading into the bye week, with Dalton coming off a subpar game. If Fields is demonstrating -- consistently -- that he can in and out of the huddle, call plays clearly, make proper checks at the LOS and get the snap off before the playclock hits zero, then put him in. The very last thing I want to do is throw him out there and he short circuits. This is a very demanding offense, I don't know many of us are putting enough stock/credence into that.

One issue the staff will need to work on with him is his tendency to hold the ball too long and take too many sacks.  If that was an issue for him in college playing behind one of the better OL in the nation it may be an even bigger issue now in the pros.

I'm sure Nagy and Castillo will want to settle of their 5 best OL and their positions as quickly as possible but injuries in camp and/or preseason or players returning from an injury like Daniels can often slow that process plus we're starting a rookie at LT.

It may be far better to allow the OL and run game to settle in over the first 4-5 games and establish itself before we ask Fields to step in take over.  Lazor and DeFilippo have both had some success developing QBs so I'm content to leave it up to them and Matt Nagy.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I read it.

Even if it is split 60/40... that is 20% of reps that Justin is missing out on.

Realistically, if Fields is the #1 he probably can take 70-80% of 1st team reps as you can assume Dalton doesn't need as many.

I'm not gonna assume anything.  I'm gonna let Nagy and his staff decide how to divvy up the reps and who needs what.

All of this talk we do here is based on our personal theories of what should be done yet every player is different and every offense is different.

So when we say that "on average" this should happen or that should happen or player A should be at this point by now no matter how long we've watched or even played the game we're still doing it all as amateur observers.

For all we know it may turn out that Dalton needs more reps than Fields.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Read the next two lines you cut out in the post you quoted and you will have your answer.

I don't know.  But I can surmise by what GB thinks by what they are doing and not doing.

If Love was ready to play and they were confident in that Rodgers would be in Denver right now and GB would be 3 first rounders richer. 

The simplest way to read what's happening in Cheese Bay is to know that no matter how prepared Love may be he's not yet at the level of 2020 MVP and future HOF QB Aaron Rodgers and that Rodgers gives them a shot at a SB game that Love does not.

Edited by soulman

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Dude. You're comparing Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiller directly to Justin Fields. That's way off. 

nah, you have to look at the back and forth. he was saying that fields looks the part because he is a big dude with a big arm, so he is better than dalton and should start. i was saying it doesn't matter what he looks like, a decision shouldn't be made until both dalton and fields were actually competing next to each other, using lynch and osweiler as guys that looked the part, but weren't actually good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

nah, you have to look at the back and forth. he was saying that fields looks the part because he is a big dude with a big arm, so he is better than dalton and should start. i was saying it doesn't matter what he looks like, a decision shouldn't be made until both dalton and fields were actually competing next to each other, using lynch and osweiler as guys that looked the part, but weren't actually good.

The difference is that Fields actually accomplished a lot in college and won games on a big stage.

The guys you mentioned are just tall, that is their entire resume.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you made a higher of someone who had 2 years doing a similar job at the highest level just below yours... you probably do no nee to ease them in.

Trust me, you do. It's the same business but certain functions are entirely different. Just like College Football to the NFL game.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

One issue the staff will need to work on with him is his tendency to hold the ball too long and take too many sacks.  If that was an issue for him in college playing behind one of the better OL in the nation it may be an even bigger issue now in the pros.

I've watched enough "tape" of his to agree, he'll get to his second or third read, they'll be open and he'll just be frozen. Needs to be coached up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, G08 said:

Trust me, you do. It's the same business but certain functions are entirely different. Just like College Football to the NFL game.

What do you think Fields is going to learn from 4-6 weeks in season on the bench?

I will tell you, I do not think it will be as valuable as the extra reps the starter gets in camp and the preseason.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What do you think Fields is going to learn from 4-6 weeks in season on the bench?

A lot. How to prepare, what his routine will be during game week, study how defenses attack us, how we attack them, etc. Talk with Dalton about why he read a play a certain way, what he saw, compare/contrast to what he saw himself, etc.

Don't act like there is NOTHING he can learn from sitting, that's disingenuous at best.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

A lot. How to prepare, what his routine will be during game week, study how defenses attack us, how we attack them, etc. Talk with Dalton about why he read a play a certain way, what he saw, compare/contrast to what he saw himself, etc.

Don't act like there is NOTHING he can learn from sitting, that's disingenuous at best.

How is he going to learn to prepare as a starter when he’s running the scout team? He’ll actually have a bunch of responsibilities unrelated to preparing for the opponent.

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

How is he going to learn to prepare as a starter when he’s running the scout team? He’ll actually have a bunch of responsibilities unrelated to preparing for the opponent.

He's in every single QB meeting.

26 minutes ago, G08 said:

He is going to be in those meetings for weeks, he is in meetings right now, and there is a serious limit to what can be gained by sitting in a meeting room as compared to doing it.

He can do everything that you said, while actually playing, and doing it in real time.

There is things that can be gained from meetings. But he will get nothing from the on field work, which is significantly more important.

The problem with sitting in the meetings is that he will have no opportunity to apply it.

The sooner he gets on the field, the sooner he can start to apply what he is learning, and the sooner the mistakes can be made and corrected.

The mistakes are happening when he goes to real time, the question is how long do you want to delay them.