Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

For me it is not about Justin Fields sitting and absorbing the entire offense before he plays.

For me it is about Nagy and company slowly ramping the offense up with Fields each week.

Because the OL is going to need that gradual build up, and they can’t sit and learn.

• Like 1

I gonna let @WindyCityand @abstract_thoughttake this.

They are doing fine. 

I think Nagy will soon realize this is a born and bred QB from south.  Been to all the camps his whole life, etc.

He doesn’t need to spoon him along at a snail pace or see his confidence destroyed.  

He still will be a rookie and do rookie things, that’s fine.   Watching for a year is a plan that just isn’t going to happen.   Sooner Nagy realizes that the better.  

I think we are seeing influence from Juan Castillo we didn’t see last offseason.  OL is totally changing shape from smaller quick dudes to monsters.   They are drafting OTs with idea of moving them to G if they don’t play OT.  Something we have been advocating for eons.  

Someone on coaching staff, presumably Furrey, pounded table for Mooney hard in draft.   

Hopefully other guys on staff start speaking up to Nagy and Pace as well.

On a side note, rewatching some games.  Pagano mailed it in last year.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

nah, you have to look at the back and forth. he was saying that fields looks the part because he is a big dude with a big arm, so he is better than dalton and should start. i was saying it doesn't matter what he looks like, a decision shouldn't be made until both dalton and fields were actually competing next to each other, using lynch and osweiler as guys that looked the part, but weren't actually good.

I saw what he said...but that certainly wasn't his only defense for his argument. He's overreacting, though. Nagy won't screw this one up. When Fields can start, he'll start, give or take maybe a game or two (at worst). 

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I saw what he said...but that certainly wasn't his only defense for his argument. He's overreacting, though. Nagy won't screw this one up. When Fields can start, he'll start, give or take maybe a game or two (at worst). 

Nagy sadly has not been overly impressive to me.   He still makes a lot of rookie coaching mistakes and poor personnel decisions or late ones anyway.   He needs to move with more alacrity.  He doesn't often start the better player until it is absolutely proven the other guy is just not as good or is giving poor effort.   And suffers a lot in meantime.  

I do like a lot of his staff though.   Hopefully he learns.      

And I never over react you bastard.  I should kill you where you stand, burn your house and salt your lawn.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

How is he going to learn to prepare as a starter when he’s running the scout team? He’ll actually have a bunch of responsibilities unrelated to preparing for the opponent.

Who said anything about running the "scout team"?  Fields is QB #1 in waiting and he'll be getting rep with the starters just like Dalton until he supplants Dalton as the starter.  I don't think any of us believe this won't happen at some point during the 2021 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Nagy sadly has not been overly impressive to me.   He still makes a lot of rookie coaching mistakes and poor personnel decisions or late ones anyway.   He needs to move with more alacrity.  He doesn't often start the better player until it is absolutely proven the other guy is just not as good or is giving poor effort.   And suffers a lot in meantime.  

I'm probably the biggest Nagy detractor around here. If not, I'm close. He should not still be the coach of the Bears. He's not only made the single dumbest coaching decision (on-field, strategically) that I've ever seen, he's also engaged in the most disgusting press conference shenanigans I've ever seen.

But that isn't to say he's totally worthless. However, playing time, and who gets it, is clearly his biggest area of weakness. You'll get no argument from me there. 

The Fields decision won't be his alone. I guarantee that. Also, he will be far more serious in evaluating that decision, as it means EVERYTHING to him right now. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

And I never over react you bastard.  I should kill you where you stand, burn your house and salt your lawn.

You probably should. Lord knows I deserve it. 

40 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

tenor.gif

And Clara for the win! 

(Or whatever alternate version of Clara that was...) 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Yeah that really played a role in Patrick Mahomes' MVP season...

The flaw in this thought IMO is that it implies that Mahomes wouldn’t have developed into a MVP by year 2 if he’d been playing in year 1 instead of sitting, which is an assumption. That’s not to say that the assumption isn’t accurate - only to say we have no way of knowing if it’s accurate. Same can be said with Rodgers sitting 3 years or Mitch not sitting more than 4 games. We don’t get to follow both paths to know whether the one not chosen would have led to a different eventual outcome. If Fields sits then is great or plays right away and busts we’ll never know for sure if the path we chose directly factored in the outcome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Yeah that really played a role in Patrick Mahomes' MVP season...

Again, he is 100% the exception.

My guess is Mahomes would have won an MVP whether he sat or not. He is a generational talent.

Maybe Mahomes wins MVP as a rookie and the Chiefs make a deeper playoff run.

The point remains, sitting in meetings doesn’t give you a chance to apply anything on the field. There is a hard cap on what you can accomplish by watching 

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Who said anything about running the "scout team"?  Fields is QB #1 in waiting and he'll be getting rep with the starters just like Dalton until he supplants Dalton as the starter.  I don't think any of us believe this won't happen at some point during the 2021 season.

During the season that is not how it works. The #1 QB gets 80% or more of the snaps. They have to prepare for the game.

Fields will be running scout team because the #2 gets only a handful of reps otherwise.

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

That’s not the same as preparing as a starter.

Starters get most of the practice reps. They work with other starters. How is Fields going to get more comfortable in an offense he barely practices?

Bingo. By watching Andy Dalton run a different version of the offense everyday.