Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I hope you understand that I am concerned with rep volume and the #2, unless it is an open competition, is not getting anywhere near the same volume.

I do not care if DeFillipo is literally holding his hand for 5 reps... 15 reps is better.

Why are you concerned with rep volume and the #2 if there is a very likely chance that the offense/scheme/plays called will be different under Fields than under Dalton/Foles?

When you're taking reps as the #2, you are doing it under the guise of being able to operate the offense/scheme/plays that the #1 QB prefers. It's one thing if those would be the same regardless of Dalton or Fields starting, but I'm strongly of the opinion it won't be.

Edited by G08

Putting the banter aside for a brief moment...

I still can't believe we landed this kid at freaking 11. I'm watching every single game/clip/interview/video of him that I can find and I'm just in awe of how talented this kid is. I'd argue he's the most physically talented QB I have ever seen on the Bears (was Cutler previously), yet as a 22 year old carries himself with the confidence and swagger of a 30 year old Pro Bowler. It's unbelievable.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, G08 said:

Why are you concerned with rep volume and the #2 if there is a very likely chance that the offense/scheme/plays called will be different under Fields than under Dalton/Foles?

When you're taking reps as the #2, you are doing it under the guise of being able to operate the offense/scheme/plays that the #1 QB prefers. It's one thing if those would be the same regardless of Dalton or Fields starting, but I'm strongly of the opinion it won't be.

Interesting point you make, with the follow up thought that unless Fields shows he needs serious time to learn coverages and to speed up his progression, they would probably be better off starting with the Fields style offense instead of Daltons.  I have watched Dalton and I'm still not sure what he's best at, even watching that season he was getting MVP talk before breaking his arm.

We could go round and round on when he starts,  I can't imagine Nagy really as a clue yet and won't until they get into camp.  As much as I thought Pace and Nagy deserved to be gone,  I still like Nagy a lot and hope we can finally see a cohesive and effective offense from him now that he has what should be the guy. 

40 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is not an argument in your favor.

That is exactly why he is concerned.   Offense should be designed around Fields strengths not Dalton's.

Dalton should not be taken 1 reps.   Dalton should have to make do not Fields.  

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

Putting the banter aside for a brief moment...

I still can't believe we landed this kid at freaking 11. I'm watching every single game/clip/interview/video of him that I can find and I'm just in awe of how talented this kid is. I'd argue he's the most physically talented QB I have ever seen on the Bears (was Cutler previously), yet as a 22 year old carries himself with the confidence and swagger of a 30 year old Pro Bowler. It's unbelievable.

It's really cool. 

MT was number 2 pick in draft.   He was all raw potential and a project.   

This kid was 11 and is far higher rated coming out.    In many drafts he would have been 1 overall.   Strong arguments he could have been 2nd best talent in draft.   

Quite a coup.   Took a lot of luck and circumstance.

I think a lot of teams screwed up passing on him.  Especially Denver unless they have a secret deal for Rodgers in place.

Denver passing was inexplicable otherwise.  Madness.  They could have had him for nothing.

Atl is still trying to win now with Ryan.   Dolphins want to give Tua a shot.   Detroit wants to build team first get rid of Goff or hope he succeeds then find QB.

Panthers are going to try to make Darnold good.

Denver just was crazy.  There is no explanation other than perhaps some deal or hope for Rodgers that is not public yet.  Lock sucks.

Philly was stupid too.   They should have taken Fields.  

Bears got lucky.

The big knock is he holds ball.   But someone on twitter pointed out he only held ball on WR read routes. 

That makes total sense if true.    

In those circumstances it isn't natural to just trust a college kid (wr) to make same read as college QB.   It is prone to making a QB hold ball to make sure you are on same page.

Otherwise you will be throwing an INT. or throwing to nowhere and that looks bad when people are watching who don't understand the play concept.    Easier to use your athleticism to buy time and then throw when guy is open or after he makes his decision.

He will have to trust his guy in pros obviously and not wait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch couldn't hit deep shots even when they were schemed open. He may have been the worst deep passer I have watched by the end of his Bears tenure.

Fields I agree. That would be the natural improvement to the offense. He is very good on the deep ball and has a super aggressive mindset.

I'd actually give that trophy to Kyle Orton.

When he arrived here in Denver and initially started out well I used to tell the Bronco fans just wait 'til the AFCW learns he can't hurt them deep to save his soul.  Sure enough, all it took was one go 'round before they sat on his shorter routes and dared him to beat them deep.  That was it for 'ol Neckbeard.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Washington Nacotchtank's should have traded up for Fields.

I don't know what they were thinking.

They have a stellar defense in place.   

LOL.....love that name but you just know that as soon as they began losing they'd suddenly become the "No Crotch Tanks".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The big knock is he holds ball

I think it's both, there are times he was waiting for downfield route adjustments to occur. Other times, he would get to read #2 or #3 and dude would be open, but Fields would just freeze and not pull the trigger. I'm of the opinion that can improve with time and with reps/experience.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I am concerned that we are wasting reps on Dalton that should go to the guy who is likely to start most of the games.

The reps are too precious to waste on a guy who is keeping a seat warm.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, WindyCity said:

I am concerned that we are wasting reps on Dalton that should go to the guy who is likely to start most of the games.

The reps are too precious to waste on a guy who is keeping a seat warm.

Here it is in a nutshell.

The season begins in Sept. and unless Fields wins an as yet to be announced open competition to start Dalton is first up.  We have three reasonably tough games in Sept. which Dalton is almost certain to start.  Do we want to win those games?

If so then Dalton need to be prepared to do it which means getting more of the starters reps than Fields.  But it doesn't need to be 80/20 because simultaneous to preparing Dalton to win is also the need to prepare Fields to win as well.  So he needs reps too.

The guy who doesn't is Nick Foles.  So Nick can do most of the work with the reserves in between those times when Fields will also slide in and take some.  In reality by working with both the starters and the reserves he may get more reps than anyone.

One thing I do agree on wholeheartedly though is that the offense needs to be structured around how we intend to run it once Fields is starting.  Each QB may have his favorites or strong points but it shouldn't be necessary to scheme two different offenses.

Edited by soulman

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Washington Nacotchtank's should have traded up for Fields.

I don't know what they were thinking.

They have a stellar defense in place.   

The Giants would never have done that for them...

• Like 1