Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

Correlating team wins and losses directly to QBs is one of the stupidest things the media and fans tend to buy into. The NFL is the ultimate TEAM sport. This isn't the NBA where 1 player out of 5 starters can make an immediate difference.

11 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I guess my question is... what are the examples of QBs the Bears "ruined" by playing too early?

There's no way to find this out because each QB is different.

In the entire 100 years the Bears have existed we have had only had 1 good QB out of 78 different starters over the same period (2 if you include the guy who left for the military IIRC).  1 out of 78 different starting QBs in an entire century is not just bad luck.....that's a team who has failed to develop a QB.

I don't give a damn about wins and losses this season. I'll take 6 win season...**** it. What I do care about is not throwing out our best chance to end this 100-year reign of tear just for the sake of either pressure from impatient fans or coaches who are on the brink of losing their jobs.

That’s my whole issue with this whole line of conversation. We don’t know that sitting Fields better sets him up for success than playing him and letting him work through whatever growing pains may follow. Everyone would take a 6-win season in 2021 if it assured us Fields pans out but it’s not that easy because every player is different and every situation is different. Fields and Mahomes and Watson and Mitch and Herbert and Grossman and Cutler and 10,000 other QBs are all different. There’s no magic formula.

I don’t buy much into the idea that the team can “ruin” a guy outside of a few exceptions where he’s getting physically abused back there (thinking 2002 Houston and David Carr levels) or where there is zero talent around him. We aren’t in those positions at all, and I don’t see Fields sitting just to sit changing anything. I want him to succeed for the Bears as much as anyone but keeping him on ice until a make believe best case scenario comes along isn’t the path. If he’s the transcendent talent with the elite makeup we think he is (and they showed they believe that by mortgaging next year’s #1 to get him) then he’ll overcome roster imperfections anyway. At least putting him on the field puts his success more in his own hands. His natural ability and internal drive has had him as the top recruit in the country, as a Heisman finalist in college and now a top NFL draft pick. When people call for the “sit and coach him up” approach many fail to mention that doing so puts Fields’ path to success more in the hands of Nagy, who many of those same people think isn’t a great coach too.

I’m not as down on Nagy as many are, but I’m willing to bet on the talent winning out. IMO, if they start with what Fields already does well and build from there rather than force teaching him “The Nagy Offensive Plan” (which is how it should be anyway - the best coaches scheme to the talent they have, not the other way around) then there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to have a reasonable amount of success pretty early on as he grows. He’s an incredibly confident kid, and obviously far more prepared internally to deal with the rigors and spotlight of being an NFL QB than Mitch was. The Nagy Offensive Plan and what Fields already does well overlap anyway - Nagy wants to scheme shot plays and Fields wants to take them. Nagy wants to be able to hit quick routes with high YAC potential and run RPOs and Fields has done a ton of that before ever getting to Chicago. Nagy wants to run a track team offense and Fields has 4.4 speed. He doesn’t have to be able to run the full playbook from day 1 to be able to succeed. Hell, Dalton won’t be able to run the full playbook anyway. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't give a damn about wins and losses this season. I'll take 6 win season...**** it. What I do care about is not throwing out our best chance to end this 100-year reign of tear just for the sake of either pressure from impatient fans or coaches who are on the brink of losing their jobs.

It sure sounds like Nagy is willing to take his time with Fields, though. It seems like what most of suspected is actually the truth--Nagy's seat isn't all that hot. And the Fields pick has maybe bought him even more time. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s my whole issue with this whole line of conversation. We don’t know that sitting Fields better sets him up for success than playing him and letting him work through whatever growing pains may follow. Everyone would take a 6-win season in 2021 if it assured us Fields pans out but it’s not that easy because every player is different and every situation is different. Fields and Mahomes and Watson and Mitch and Herbert and Grossman and Cutler and 10,000 other QBs are all different. There’s no magic formula.

Dalton mentioned in a recent interview how he'd brought up some ways that Fields could improve his throwing motion, and how the two of them were going to work on that. So...it could be that the staff believes that Fields has some niggling mechanical hiccups that they want to get fixed before they put him on the field. I don't remember reading anything about how scouts or evaluators were concerned with Fields mechanically, so I'd imagine any issues would be fairly minor. I'm still going with Nagy putting the kid in for a playoff push. (Dalton starts ten, Bears have a good record, Fields comes in, lights it up...BOOM.)

Edited by Heinz D.

As AZ said we need Fields to get through his growing pains this season, otherwise we have kind of wasted a season.

I don’t know the number of games he requires,  but we need to have Fields ready to take a big step week 1 of 2022, I don’t think that will happen if he sits most of 2021.

19 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Sorry. Trubisky NEVER played as well as Wentz in 2018. Ever

Now, could Wentz's play that year be a flash in the pan? Sure. But Trubisky has NEVER played up to that level. 

Let's be serious, here. 

I am being serious... I'm looking at their career statistical production in this system.

Yes, Wentz had a flash-in-the-pan season that Trubisky didn't.

46 minutes ago, G08 said:

I am being serious... I'm looking at their career statistical production in this system.

Yes, Wentz had a flash-in-the-pan season that Trubisky didn't.

He had more than a flash in the pan

13 games-3300 yards 33 TDs 7 Ints

11 games-3100 yards 21 TDs, 7 Ints

16 games-4000 yards 27 TDs 7 Ints

Those 3 seasons are better than anything that Mitch put together.