Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

Hub Arkush would like to see a QB competition between Foles and Dalton in camp.

This may he the dumbest thing I have heard yet. Let’s waste reps on Nick Foles and make that move even worse.

Any rep that isn’t taken by Dalton should be taken by Fields. I wouldn’t even give Foles a helmet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

This may he the dumbest thing I have heard yet. Let’s waste reps on Nick Foles and make that move even worse.

Any rep that isn’t taken by Dalton should be taken by Fields. I wouldn’t even give Foles a helmet.

What do you mean?   It is double the benefit watching two different people do something.  

You can compare and contrast the different QB styles, etc.  

You can really maximize mental reps.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What do you mean?   It is double the benefit watching two different people do something.  

I see what you are doing here.

Reps for Dalton are kind of a waste.

Reps for Foles are literally setting something valuable on fire and not even enjoying the blaze.

Foles can throw WR warm up and DB ball skill drills and then go hang out with the punter and long snapper.

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

And the crazy thing is that Arkush says idiotic things at least twice a week, so for that to be ranked so high, it's really saying something

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I see what you are doing here.

Reps for Dalton are kind of a waste.

Reps for Foles are literally setting something valuable on fire and not even enjoying the blaze.

Foles can throw WR warm up and DB ball skill drills and then go hang out with the punter and long snapper.

Look, Fields needs to learn to take a center snap, call a play out loud and identify the mike.

That could take years.

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You're an idiot 😂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He sat and watched some of the biggest idiots of all time.

For years.   Then they let me in the game.  I still had a lot to learn though because I didn't have idiot experience.  But I wouldn't trade sitting and watching idiots for anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Nagy should have assessed what kind of person and learner Fields is before he made this blanket decision to do it the same way Mahomes did it.   

I'm beginning to think that they're trying to cut down on Fields' somewhat inconsistent footwork, and that "high elbow" thing he does. Now...I'm only sort of defending them when I say that, as Fields numbers speak for themselves...but fixing those inconsistencies in Fields mechanics really probably IS the way to go. Drill it into him, have him work with DeFilipo--in a couple of months you might start to see real progress. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This may he the dumbest thing I have heard yet. 

That's the dumbest thing you've heard from Hub Arkush? Really? 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

For years.   Then they let me in the game.  I still had a lot to learn though because I didn't have idiot experience.  But I wouldn't trade sitting and watching idiots for anything.

It takes a lot of training to be a true idiot. Very few take to it easily. I'm one of the lucky ones. I have true natural talent. A gift, even, some might say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm beginning to think that they're trying to cut down on Fields' somewhat inconsistent footwork, and that "high elbow" thing he does.

He's got an elongated motion which I do not love, but it is hard to argue with his results/accuracy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

He's got an elongated motion which I do not love, but it is hard to argue with his results/accuracy.

I agree...but it's already come up. Dalton has said that he and Fields are working on that throwing motion, and I'd be willing to bet just about anything that is all about the elbow thing. The good news out of all of this is that it's clearly an issue that Nagy thinks can be resolved (or minimalized) fairly easily. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What I took from the Hub article was actually a point in the other direction - what does it say that they aren’t even letting Foles be involved? Putting on my tin foil hat:

1. Nagy is on record saying that if Dalton went down to injury Fields would start.

2. Nagy is on record saying Fields won’t start until he’s ready.

Assuming 2. is true, then how can 1. not also be true?

If the future and “the plan” supersedes all, then the only way Fields should be QB2 on game day is if he’s able to step in as QB1 on a moment’s notice, and if he’s “ready” to step in as QB1 on a moment’s notice then he should already be QB1. Perhaps Foles remains around as insurance on Dalton takIng issue when “the plan” gets turned on its head. Foles already knows the offense and knows the personnel. He’s the one guy of the three who probably could come in and at least function in the offense with little to no reps (not well, but at a backup QB level). If camp hits and they decide Fields is indeed ready, especially after all of the chest pounding “I was told I’m the starter” stuff, Dalton may be the more expendable QB if Fields is elevated in August. He’d certainly offer a better potential return in trade than Foles. Looking at trade scenarios on OTC, trading Dalton and riding out 2021 with Foles as QB2 would actually be a significantly better move cap-wise than trading Foles.

• Like 3

All good points, but:

First, I believe you meant "Your an idiot." This is the internet after all.

Hub has been out to lunch for years.

Totally agree that if Fields ends up the starter, would rather trade Dalton than Foles as the return should be better. I think the odds of Nagy wanting to starting Fields before the trade deadline (after week 8 )are decent, so lets all hope somebody sends a Bradford style compensation to us. Hey, we got Justin Fields at 11, we can dream now. 

Trying to change Fields motion is the first really concerning thing that's come up in his development. Everyone seemed to agree it was weird but worked.  I really really hope we're not spending too much time on this.  Not sure that's the case though; if you listen to what Nagy says about Fields and the work, it seems to mostly be cadence, line calls, taking snaps.  That's great by me, although again it begs the question of whether they're trying to force the framework that worked for Smith/Mahomes on to these guys, as Nagy loves that story about Mahomes yelling the play to the defense at first.

I got to agree with AZ on this one.  I think in one of the pod casts Hub actually clarified he is not saying Foles and Dalton should compete.  He is just pointing out what Nagy is saying is inconsistent.  tbh my take from stuff Hub has written since free agency started is that he believes the Bears could have saved the $10 million they gave Dalton and just let Foles start a few games if Fields needed it but they were afraid of the optics if they weren't able to get a decent QB in the draft. 

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Dalton has said that he and Fields are working on that throwing motion, and I'd be willing to bet just about anything that is all about the elbow thing.

Say whaaat? Where'd you hear this?