Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

You'll have to give me some specifics... did he actually say he was working with Fields on his throwing motion??

He did, yeah. And I doubt Dalton went there without the blessings of the coaching staff. 

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He did, yeah. And I doubt Dalton went there without the blessings of the coaching staff. 

I hate this stuff. Fields was, per several analytics we’ve seen, the most accurate QB in a loaded QB class this year. His motion is elongated compared to others but not slow, and his mechanics are consistent and obviously work incredibly well for him. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I hate this stuff. Fields was, per several analytics we’ve seen, the most accurate QB in a loaded QB class this year. His motion is elongated compared to others but not slow, and his mechanics are consistent and obviously work incredibly well for him. 

You see that same throwing motion in most baseball players/QBs because of muscle memory.   You probably aren’t going to fix it.

It isn’t that bad or bad at all.   Better than Rivers and he had a good career.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G08 said:

Link?

A quick search didn't come up with the Dalton interview quote. Weird, but whatever. Here's Fields reaction to Dalton commenting on it (and then helping Fields with it);

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/18/what-did-andy-dalton-see-wrong-in-justin-fields-throwing-motion/

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don't even know if I'd call it elongated. I watched a lot of Fields and I "hate this stuff", as well. It's not a problem. Well, not a BIG problem, anyway. My guess is that Nagy is afraid the elbow thing might lead to more fumbles in the NFL. I don't know if that really should be a concern. I mean, his speed probably makes up for that. Right? 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It isn’t that bad or bad at all.   Better than Rivers and he had a good career.

That was exactly the first thing that came to my mind. Rivers had far worse mechanics, never really fixed them, and is a borderline Hall of Fame guy. This all smacks of far-flung anxiety on Nagy's part. 

But hey, Fields is smart as hell. If they can fix (or lessen) the elbow thing...everybody wins. 

14 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Can we hire Mark Sanchez to teach him how to slide?

+1.

Somebody needs to teach that boy to slide. Yikes. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

A quick search didn't come up with the Dalton interview quote. Weird, but whatever. Here's Fields reaction to Dalton commenting on it (and then helping Fields with it);

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/18/what-did-andy-dalton-see-wrong-in-justin-fields-throwing-motion/

Ah okay, yeah I don't think this is about his throwing motion. When Fields mentioned this during his presser he made a handoff motion with his hands (maybe discussing read option?).

On 6/24/2021 at 9:18 PM, Heinz D. said:

I agree...but it's already come up. Dalton has said that he and Fields are working on that throwing motion, and I'd be willing to bet just about anything that is all about the elbow thing. The good news out of all of this is that it's clearly an issue that Nagy thinks can be resolved (or minimalized) fairly easily. 

If it's much of an issue at all, you would think that Nagy would have identified it before they even drafted him and made the determination that they can get him to work through it.  It's probably not a big deal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:
Mitch had the worst accuracy in the NFL.

Dalton not much better.

Well, it's hard to discern an exact number off that chart--but there's like an eight percent difference, right? Hardly a small gap, when you consider things.

And Dalton was in a worse situation than Trubisky, too. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Well, it's hard to discern an exact number off that chart--but there's like an eight percent difference, right? Hardly a small gap, when you consider things.

And Dalton was in a worse situation than Trubisky, too. 

He was also throwing shorter passes to better WRs.

Better, but not a significant improvement.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He was also throwing shorter passes to better WRs.

Better, but not a significant improvement.

Yeah...but the Cowboys were a mess last season, all the way around. Really tarnished my view of McCarthy. I know they had a lot of injuries, and other various problems and upheaval...but to be THAT bad with all the talent they still had? Yowza. 

On 6/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, G08 said:

Ah okay, yeah I don't think this is about his throwing motion. When Fields mentioned this during his presser he made a handoff motion with his hands (maybe discussing read option?).

The thought of Dalton trying to teach Fields anything about the fundamentals of the RPO handoff is pretty comical to me. Maybe conventional PA fakes? Fields didn’t work much under center at OSU.