Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The thought of Dalton trying to teach Fields anything about the fundamentals of the RPO handoff is pretty comical to me. Maybe conventional PA fakes? Fields didn’t work much under center at OSU. 

I think Daltons value will come when things are not going great.

Fields has lost like 5 games in the last 5 years. He may lose that this season plus some.

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Really good video.  Can’t fix anything from bench though.  

I really like Brett's videos, but am also absolutely terrified when he says a prospect is going to be great as they almost immediately have an injury or suck.  Also warmly remember his glowing video about Mitch's preseason performance (which was great!)

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really like Brett's videos, but am also absolutely terrified when he says a prospect is going to be great as they almost immediately have an injury or suck.  Also warmly remember his glowing video about Mitch's preseason performance (which was great!)

He is wrong a lot.  A lot.   But his production values are good.

Also while his conclusions are wrong a lot, there are always grains of truth in his videos and data and he presents an argument for what he is saying.   

He doesn't just say things without trying to justify it like a lot of people do.

I think both Mitch and Foles were bad last year, but he gave short thrift to O line role in Nick Foles struggles and how it helped Mitch during winning streak. 

To his credit he mentioned it, but I think it was a much larger factor than he gave it.

Mitch was benched for a reason.

In addition to O line playing terrible for Foles, I think we have to factor in the level of competition Foles faced versus what Mitch faced.

Mitch was benched for struggling against a historically bad Falcons defense playing at their absolute low point with injuries to key players on top of it.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

In addition to O line playing terrible for Foles, I think we have to factor in the level of competition Foles faced versus what Mitch faced.

True, but we also have to factor in the offense being catered to what Mitch liked as well during our 4 game stretch of averaging 35 ppg.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

True, but we also have to factor in the offense being catered to what Mitch liked as well during our 4 game stretch of averaging 35 ppg.

Crazy how building an offense around what the talent does well rather than forcing it to do what it doesn’t do well produces better results. Imagine taking someone who is bad with tools and hiring them for finish carpentry, or taking someone who’s a poor public speaker and employing them as a museum curator. Nobody would ever reasonably expect those things to go well. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Crazy how building an offense around what the talent does well rather than forcing it to do what it doesn’t do well produces better results. Imagine taking someone who is bad with tools and hiring them for finish carpentry, or taking someone who’s a poor public speaker and employing them as a museum curator. Nobody would ever reasonably expect those things to go well. 

And that brings us back to the ego thing Nagy and quite possibly Pace as well have with trying to prove Nagy was the right guy to lift the Bears out of mediocrity.

If both Fields and Jenkins turn out to be all they planned for when they drafted them at the very least Pace has won back some chips that should guarantee his future a bit longer.

But if Nagy fails again to get his team to rise above more than a low level playoff team his days should be numbered.  This year should tell us a lot at least for openers.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:00 AM, abstract_thought said:

Either that or playing the worst defenses in the NFL…

38370-E8-E-A966-4-D55-ADCB-03-F2-CB95-EA

I remember Nick Foles' whopping 6 points against that horrible Vikings defense week 10.

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I remember Montgomery being out in week 10 against a Vikings team that still had something to play for.

I can see where you are coming from but they were 1-5 before finally getting their 2nd win (vs GB), so even when they clearly were going to have to have a ton of luck to make the playoffs they weren't going to roll over. Especially against a division rival. They also had to have OT to beat the Jags.

MIN was a middling team through and through, they could put up points in bunches but gave up just as many. My issue is that when they give up almost 30 PPG why were we the only team to score under 20 vs them the whole season? Monty is a good RB but we didn't lose an AP, CMC, or Henry.

It was just a really bad performance by Chicago, that goes on more than Foles and Nagy but they were both bad that game.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I can see where you are coming from but they were 1-5 before finally getting their 2nd win (vs GB), so even when they clearly were going to have to have a ton of luck to make the playoffs they weren't going to roll over. Especially against a division rival. They also had to have OT to beat the Jags.

MIN was a middling team through and through, they could put up points in bunches but gave up just as many. My issue is that when they give up almost 30 PPG why were we the only team to score under 20 vs them the whole season? Monty is a good RB but we didn't lose an AP, CMC, or Henry.

It was just a really bad performance by Chicago, that goes on more than Foles and Nagy but they were both bad that game.

No doubt. Foles, Nagy, Coward, Montgomery's injury, Minnesota dominating the Time of Possession. Several factors contributed.

I'm just doubtful of the narrative that "When we finally played to Trubisky's strengths, he excelled." We ran the same offense in a meaningful game against Green Bay and the offense reverted to garbage. I think it's far more likely that we excelled against a bunch of bad teams with nothing left to play for.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I remember Montgomery being out in week 10 against a Vikings team that still had something to play for.

I mean pick your argument... either they're one of the worst defenses in the NFL or Trubisky played a bigger role than you're letting on for the team's offensive output.

43 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

We ran the same offense in a meaningful game against Green Bay and the offense reverted to garbage.

That's the problem, I recall Trubisky openly complaining in the posgame presser that the game plan was too conservative. When you do that, the defense will sit on your routes/condense the field and you will have nowhere to go with the ball.

Reminds me a bit of Trestman's second year when we had no speed on the field and defenses just sat on Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett.

• Like 1