Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He isn’t going to learn that stuff watching Andy Dalton is the point I think most of us are making.

You're talking to the wrong guy.  Tell Bill Lazor, Matt Nagy, and John DeFilippo that.  They seem to disagree.

Funny how a bunch of beer drinkin' couch potatoes always believe their way is the best way.  How many NFL coaches do we have as members?  I forget.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

You're talking to the wrong guy.  Tell Bill Lazor, Matt Nagy, and John DeFilippo that.  They seem to disagree.

Funny how a bunch of beer drinkin' couch potatoes always believe their way is the best way.  How many NFL coaches do we have as members?  I forget.

I'm undefeated in the NFL, sir. Lol

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Since I have used up all the stomach acid I have allocated to football for this year i am just going to sit back and enjoy the show🥔

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soulman said:

Damn, with some of you it's like you just got a new bike and you want to ride it before you even inflate the tires.

I sure as hell don’t want to sit and watch someone else ride my new bike.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But please done waste a ton of 1st team reps on Andy Dalton when you know that Fields should be starting.

Camp reps are worth 10x more than the half speed scout team practice reps during the season.

Yes

I honestly think, we are over thinking this....

We finally just drafted the best guy instead of like some weird dude with 8 starts who his coaches didnt even like

Fields has been 5 star since high school...this isnt some rags to riches tale....he is just legit good

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Nagy is already hedging on that though. On draft day it was “Andy is still our starter.” This week it was “Justin will let us know when he’s ready.” Those two statements are entirely different, and that was before rookie minicamp even started. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I sure as hell don’t want to sit and watch someone else ride my new bike.  

Especially when the old bike is Andy Dalton, the same guy who had many of us calling this organization an embarrassment and a clown show when he was signed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nagy is already hedging on that though. On draft day it was “Andy is still our starter.” This week it was “Justin will let us know when he’s ready.” Those two statements are entirely different, and that was before rookie minicamp even started. 

I read that and it's completely in line with common sense.  Andy Dalton is the #1 going into camp.  If Justin Fields is good enough now to be the #1 then all he has to do is prove it.  Until then he'll get plenty of practice reps but his game reps will be mental ones.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Especially when the old bike is Andy Dalton, the same guy who had many of us calling this organization an embarrassment and a clown show when he was signed. 

I'll chime in and say I for one never saw it that way and I believe Pace explains their thinking about all of this very clearly in that article by Adam Jahns I posted.  For reference all should read it but I'll summarize here for the terminally lazy.

The entire staff discussed just how difficult it might be for them to trade up from pick #20 for a top rookie QB.  Mitch was no longer a viable option so as a hedge against not being able to draft a QB in round one they needed someone else besides Nick Foles and of all of the vet FA available Andy Dalton graded out best for what they had in mind.

The Lions were never gonna trade Stafford to Chicago and we now know Wentz was never a serious consideration but let's not overlook Pace's efforts to persuade Seattle to part with Russell Wilson.  But that failed.  So without any assurance of being able to trade up what would all of this forum's wanna be NFL GMs have done?  Who else should be have signed?

Even if all Andy Dalton is capable of any longer is being a mid level vet starter at least Nagy and his staff won't have to dumb down their entire playbook in order for Dalton to run the offense.  I think we can safely assume that by now he can read coverages far better than Mitch ever could.  He got a one year deal to see if he could still play well enough an win enough to be worthwhile.

I'm just as anxious to see what Justin Fields can do as the next guy I'm just not gonna sit around pissin' and moanin' if it doesn't happen day one is all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm just as anxious to see what Justin Fields can do as the next guy I'm just not gonna sit around pissin' and moanin' if it doesn't happen day one is all.

I’m totally fine with that so long as the reason Dalton is playing is because he gives us the best chance to win that week, and not because they promised him he’d start in March. Even one game started by Dalton under that premise alone is too many. The players who give us the best chance to win should play at every position,  but especially at QB. If Andy Dalton was a difference making QB he would have had a bidding war for his services in the FA market this offseason. He’s not, and he didn’t. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m totally fine with that so long as the reason Dalton is playing is because he gives us the best chance to win that week, and not because they promised him he’d start in March. Even one game started by Dalton under that premise alone is too many. The players who give us the best chance to win should play at every position,  but especially at QB. If Andy Dalton was a difference making QB he would have had a bidding war for his services in the FA market this offseason. He’s not, and he didn’t. 

If Nagy is to be believed that does seem to be the plan......at this moment in time.  What the plan will be post camp and preseason may be something entirely different but we can't know that now so we'll just have to wait to see how it all breaks down by September.

I completely agree that we don't owe Andy Dalton anything more than his $10 mil.  He's been around long enough to know the score and also to recall when he was the new kid looking to bump the older more experienced vet out of the #1 spot.  He can handle whatever happens.

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For sure. Dalton's never struck me as much of a diva either, and he's clearly no dummy. He's not going to have a tantrum if he ends up as the #2 guy. Actually, I think it would be kind of cool if we could keep Dalton as the backup long term. Sure, his play style is different from Fields', but he's a quality player. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

For sure. Dalton's never struck me as much of a diva either, and he's clearly no dummy. He's not going to have a tantrum if he ends up as the #2 guy. Actually, I think it would be kind of cool if we could keep Dalton as the backup long term. Sure, his play style is different from Fields', but he's a quality player. 

Assuming Fields is what we think he will be I’d be fine keeping him at least next year while we develop a longer term backup with more of a mobile skill set such that a Fields injury wouldn’t require a complete overhaul of our scheme. 

• Like 1