Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming Fields is what we think he will be I’d be fine keeping him at least next year while we develop a longer term backup with more of a mobile skill set such that a Fields injury wouldn’t require a complete overhaul of our scheme. 

Hmmm. Maybe? I guess? Those mobile guys are so hard to find, though. Either way, I hope Nagy continues to carry three quarterbacks, going forward. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming Fields is what we think he will be I’d be fine keeping him at least next year while we develop a longer term backup with more of a mobile skill set such that a Fields injury wouldn’t require a complete overhaul of our scheme. 

You’ll never recreate Fields’ skill set in a backup. Best bet is to just find a quality QB who can run most of the offense.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Hmmm. Maybe? I guess? Those mobile guys are so hard to find, though. Either way, I hope Nagy continues to carry three quarterbacks, going forward. 

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

You’ll never recreate Fields’ skill set in a backup. Best bet is to just find a quality QB who can run most of the offense.

To be clear, when I say “more of a mobile skill set” I mean someone who isn’t a statue back there like Dalton or Foles. In an ideal world that’s actually someone with a physical skill set somewhat like Mitch’s. Obviously Fields’ physical tools are incredibly rare. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

But at what price?  We can't pay Dalton $10 mil as a backup so how do you take a guy down from that level to a more affordable price tag?

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To be clear, when I say “more of a mobile skill set” I mean someone who isn’t a statue back there like Dalton or Foles. In an ideal world that’s actually someone with a physical skill set somewhat like Mitch’s. Obviously Fields’ physical tools are incredibly rare. 

I don't see Dalton as being a "statue".  Foles yes, but Dalton no.

Maybe Mitch returns as Fields backup......LOLOL.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Plan

-Protect Him

-Call Good Plays

-Stop pretending Andy Dalton has any shot at beating this guy out.

It's not about Dalton beating Fields out it all about at what point will Fields replace Dalton as the #1.  It's a foregone conclusion.

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

But at what price?  We can't pay Dalton $10 mil as a backup so how do you take a guy down from that level to a more affordable price tag?

I don't see why, if he accepts being a backup, Dalton won't also accept a lower salary. I'm assuming the Bears were up front with him--"We may have to settle for Davis Mills or Kellen Mond, Andy. We don't know what the hell is going to happen". 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't see why, if he accepts being a backup, Dalton won't also accept a lower salary. I'm assuming the Bears were up front with him--"We may have to settle for Davis Mills or Kellen Mond, Andy. We don't know what the hell is going to happen". 

If he elects to stay he'll have to accept less but somehow I think when he accepted this gig he was hoping to re-establish himself as a starter.

The fact that we were able to draft Fields was as much a stroke of luck as it was having put in the time to be prepared for it if it became at all possible.  Adam Jahn's piece covered all of what had to transpire for Fields to have fallen and even at the end had Philly not jumped NYG for Smith it's less likely they would have made the trade.  For once it finally all fell into place and Dalton knows that too.

He'll be a FA in 2021 so we'll be competing with other teams who may offer far more $$$ and a shot at starting.  To be honest I believe Andy Dalton will be one and done in Chicago.

7 minutes ago, soulman said:

If he elects to stay he'll have to accept less but somehow I think when he accepted this gig he was hoping to re-establish himself as a starter.

The fact that we were able to draft Fields was as much a stroke of luck as it was having put in the time to be prepared for it if it became at all possible.  Adam Jahn's piece covered all of what had to transpire for Fields to have fallen and even at the end had Philly not jumped NYG for Smith it's less likely they would have made the trade.  For once it finally all fell into place and Dalton knows that too.

He'll be a FA in 2021 so we'll be competing with other teams who may offer far more $$$ and a shot at starting.  To be honest I believe Andy Dalton will be one and done in Chicago.

He for sure will be one and done. This is the worst case scenario for him. Although he is getting well compensated for his time.

Dalton and Foles will likely be punted next offseason. Dalton costs 5 million on next years cap because of how his deal was structured, that would be before we brought him back.

Long term, I would like a backup who can more closely mimic what Fields does like Tyrod Taylor, it would mean an injury wouldn’t cause an entire re-write of the offense.