Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Dial 1-888-Matt Nagy

If only that were a thing...

1 hour ago, soulman said:

If he elects to stay he'll have to accept less but somehow I think when he accepted this gig he was hoping to re-establish himself as a starter.

That could be...but, with five first round quarterbacks taken this year, if he still harbors that dream, it's most likely in the XFL. Anything else, and he needs a psychological examination. 

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He for sure will be one and done. 

Why? Where is he going? What better situation is he falling into? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If only that were a thing...

That could be...but, with five first round quarterbacks taken this year, if he still harbors that dream, it's most likely in the XFL. Anything else, and he needs a psychological examination. 

Why? Where is he going? What better situation is he falling into? 

We can’t afford to pay him. He Is likely going to go on the 10 million a season, compete with a rookie tour for 2-3 years.

If he wants to come back for 3-5 million as a true backup, sure, but if that is the case he will likely take his family back to Dallas.

51 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We can’t afford to pay him. He Is likely going to go on the 10 million a season, compete with a rookie tour for 2-3 years.

If he wants to come back for 3-5 million as a true backup, sure, but if that is the case he will likely take his family back to Dallas.

What? How is that even a thing? How does that exist?

He'll collect his paycheck this year, then go on and get whatever he can in the future. And that's not likely to be $10 mil/year. 

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What? How is that even a thing? How does that exist?

He'll collect his paycheck this year, then go on and get whatever he can in the future. And that's not likely to be $10 mil/year. 

Why not? Some team like Detroit, Houston, Washington, Denver, Carolina, Pittsburgh, will need a reasonably priced veteran to bridge to being the starter.

It happens every season. Him and Cam Newton and Fitzmagic if he doesn’t retire.

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

You’ll never recreate Fields’ skill set in a backup. Best bet is to just find a quality QB who can run most of the offense.

Not to equal his but you can get people who have plus athleticism but lack polish. Emory Jones is in intriguing guy that should be available round 4 or later, King should be available late and has high end athleticism if Nagy focuses on using Fields physical gifts a lot, Ridder might have a mediocre year and allow us a solid physical specimen there (unlikely imo), Daniles from ASU likely won't declare unless he is a top 2 round prospect but that would be awesome if he did to prevent an injury from happening, etc  

You won't get Justin Fields but there's plenty of options that will have a trait Nagy wants. Maybe he wants downfield passing, maybe top end mobility, idk. When we get to see how Fields is used we will get a better idea, and then we can completely over-analyze unnecessarily for months on end. 😆

• Like 1

Dalton and Foles will do what we need this season. They are both solid veterans and great dudes.

I would be fine if Dalton wants to come back for 3-5 million to be the long term backup. He can run well enough that it wouldn’t be night and day for the OL.

I expect if Dalton takes a backup job it will be in Dallas.

Tyrod Taylor would be an ideal backup. He has the movement skills like Fields and has been around 2 young stud QBs in their infancy.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It happens every season. Him and Cam Newton and Fitzmagic if he doesn’t retire.

I get what you're saying, but those guys didn't get $10 mil/per. Right? I know Newton didn't, anyway. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I get what you're saying, but those guys didn't get $10 mil/per. Right? I know Newton didn't, anyway. 

Fitz got 10 million. 
Newton and NE is a weird situation

Tyrod got 5.5 that can be worth as much as 12 if he starts.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Cam didnt get $10M bc Cam was terrible in 2020 and has to show that he has anything at all left.  $10M was actually low based on previous market value for a bridge, and was probably only so low bc of covid cap restrictions.  Remember just a few short years ago the Bears paid Mike Glennon $18M to be a bridge.  Case Kennum got similar money in Denver, Sam Bradford had to make more money per snap taken than anyone in the history of the NFL.  Dalton can probably go make $20M per for the next 5 years being the Journeyman bridge if he chooses.  It's the hard way to $100M but it gets you there none the less.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Cam didnt get $10M bc Cam was terrible in 2020 and has to show that he has anything at all left.  $10M was actually low based on previous market value for a bridge, and was probably only so low bc of covid cap restrictions.  Remember just a few short years ago the Bears paid Mike Glennon $18M to be a bridge.  Case Kennum got similar money in Denver, Sam Bradford had to make more money per snap taken than anyone in the history of the NFL.  Dalton can probably go make $20M per for the next 5 years being the Journeyman bridge if he chooses.  It's the hard way to $100M but it gets you there none the less.

Well, that's sort of a different deal...but you're not wrong.

I'd be fine with Dalton as our backup. He's a good quarterback. 

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Not to equal his but you can get people who have plus athleticism but lack polish.

That's exactly what I hope they don't do. I'd rather have a backup who can read the field and throw the ball, even if he's a statue.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

That's exactly what I hope they don't do. I'd rather have a backup who can read the field and throw the ball, even if he's a statue.

I'm fine with that, I think they will have Fields passing downfield way more than Tru and his athleticism will be a secondary attribute (like Wilson and Watson, who clearly are fast and athletic enough to average more than 30ish yards per game) rather than like Jackson/Vick/Newton/Murray who all feature their rushing ability in the forefront of their game.

The big advantage to me with the athleticism is not having to change the whole offense around like we did from Tru to Foles, but if Fields is able to attack all levels then the back up can just do less rollouts and such if they can do so as well. I'm just skeptical that any passer who is able to read the field and throw accurately to all levels will fall far enough for us to take. Trask is basically exactly that and we saw how he didn't fall far. I feel like either you're looking at a physical specimen who is a project, an accurate guy who doesn't have much ability to challenge deep, or someone who has a lot of tools but grew up in a very pass-friendly system that limits their reads. For the consistency around the other 10 guys having someone who has a similar play style just seems beneficial IMO. Nagy has had to adapt his playcalling with the changes last year so he should be able to do it if he needs to again.

It’s very hard on the OL to go from a guy who moves around and can win with his legs to a statue.

Dalton is athletic enough that it won’t be as bad as Foles.

But if you can get a backup in the same ball park athletically it would be nice.

I have seen the tape of Fields available at rookie mini.

I will repeat what I said before.

There is no way in hell, unless Nagy is a stubborn idiot, that he is going to keep giving Dalton reps over Fields.  No way.  

Its like you are 18 and trying to decide who to take to prom.   It is between a super hot chick and a really average one who is only in running because you kinda have a bit of history.   The hot chick has large boobs and a tight butt and is really into you.   The other girl, isn't bad looking, but doesn't have those assets.  Not like you are deciding on a wife.  It's prom.

The average girl is cool, but she isn't going to same college as you so there is little chance of long term thing at moment.

We all know which way the 18 year old boy is going to go, it is just a matter of time.   

When Fields and Dalton stand side by side that's what its going to be like for Bears staff.

Fields is bigger, stronger and faster and has a stronger, more accurate arm and he has that child like eagerness.   Only thing Dalton has is knowledge and experience.

You tell yourself it is a hard decision, but we all know how this story ends.   Just get there now.   

Nagy needs to throw his plan in garbage.   This isn't Mahomes and Smith.  Smith was pretty hot and you had already asked her to Prom at time.  You would have had to dump her.  A much harder thing.      

Heck, if he went with Mahomes from jump he may have a ring now.