Bill Lazor; The Plan To Develop Justin Fields

soulman

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I have seen the tape of Fields available at rookie mini.

I will repeat what I said before.

There is no way in hell, unless Nagy is a stubborn idiot, that he is going to keep giving Dalton reps over Fields.  No way.  

Its like you are 18 and trying to decide who to take to prom.   It is between a super hot chick and a really average one who is only in running because you kinda have a bit of history.   The hot chick has large boobs and a tight butt and is really into you.   The other girl, isn't bad looking, but doesn't have those assets.  Not like you are deciding on a wife.  It's prom.

The average girl is cool, but she isn't going to same college as you so there is little chance of long term thing at moment.

We all know which way the 18 year old boy is going to go, it is just a matter of time.   

When Fields and Dalton stand side by side that's what its going to be like for Bears staff.

Fields is bigger, stronger and faster and has a stronger, more accurate arm and he has that child like eagerness.   Only thing Dalton has is knowledge and experience.

You tell yourself it is a hard decision, but we all know how this story ends.   Just get there now.   

Nagy needs to throw his plan in garbage.   This isn't Mahomes and Smith.  Smith was pretty hot and you had already asked her to Prom at time.  You would have had to dump her.  A much harder thing.      

Heck, if he went with Mahomes from jump he may have a ring now.

what an absolutely wild metaphor

it's impressive that you have seen all 4 throws that fields has made that have been made public. truly impressive scouting on your part.

first off, for nagy to "keep" giving dalton reps over fields, they both have to be on the field at the same time, which they havent been yet. secondly, a coach is not a stubborn idiot if, at the very least the beginning of OTAs/camp, he gives the veteran starting reps over the rookie.

i get that everybody is excited for fields, i am too. i've also moved into the camp that he should be our week 1 starter. but him taking 2nd and 3rd string reps at the beginning of camp isnt going to be the end of the world

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is no way in hell, unless Nagy is a stubborn idiot, that he is going to keep giving Dalton reps over Fields.  No way.  

I remember hearing the same thing about Foles last year and how there was no way Mitch was going to start over him. Even when some of us were trying to tell all of you that Foles was simply the backup plan.

If Nagy does decide to start Dalton, it doesn't make him an idiot at all. Regardless of what you may or may not have seen from a few internet clips from camp.

Fields is meant to be part of the long game. I'm tired of playing musical chairs at QB. And truth be told, I would rather take one more losing season with Dalton if it means properly developing Fields and finally getting it right.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I remember hearing the same thing about Foles last year and how there was no way Mitch was going to start over him. Even when some of us were trying to tell all of you that Foles was simply the backup plan.

If Nagy does decide to start Dalton, it doesn't make him an idiot at all. Regardless of what you may or may not have seen from a few internet clips from camp.

Fields is meant to be part of the long game. I'm tired of playing musical chairs at QB. And truth be told, I would rather take one more losing season with Dalton if it means properly developing Fields and finally getting it right.

Let's not rewrite history.  Foles was not the planned back up.  Maybe MT was who Pace wanted to win, but Foles had a legit shot at it.   He couldn't clearly outplay MT in camp in limited reps.  Then MT played same as he always did and wet bed against one of worst defenses in NFL history at time, the Falcons D, and got pulled.   

Then Foles wet bed even harder and MT went back in and played pretty good.   Or more accurately OL got their act together with some changes and we played a string of really bad Ds.   

What I am saying Nagy is an idiot for not naming Fields starter right now and giving him bulk of reps.   People can disagree.   

I predict Nagy will end up doing it because he is not (likely) a total idiot, but I wish he should skip all the nonsense about Foles and Fields competing for Dalton's job.   

And to extent that watching Dalton is helpful, Fields can gain that same knowledge from watching Dalton's back up reps.  Someone please explain to me how this previous sentence is not true.   

Do it with logic and reasoning and what you personally know about learning new skills and do it without appealing to Nagy or someone else's authority.   Because there are just as many 'authorities' that go other way on this.

Also, how is he going to be better prepared to be on field with fewer, rather than more practice reps?    What starting QB wants less reps to prepare?   

I believe idea of not starting a guy you drafted to be man, is he is woefully prepared for NFL and you can shatter his confidence and imbed terrible habits.   Not really true for Fields.   

Lets break this down:                                                                       

Mitch:

Does Fields understand passing concepts right now?

OSU and Bears by all accounts run many of same passing concepts.                                  No.

Can Fields take a snap from under center?                   

Yes.                                                                                                                                             No.

Does he need to bulk up for NFL?

No.  He is huge.                                                                                                                          A little.

Does he have only one season starting at college level?

No.                                                                                                                                              Yes

Did he play weak competition at college level?

No.                                                                                                                                              Yes, relatively speaking.  

Does Dalton know more?  Of course he is a 10 year vet.   Who cares what Dalton knows?   We need to max out Fields readiness on a rookie deal before 3rd year.   

While we have a Khalil Mack and Eddie Jackson, Goldman and an Allen Robinson, etc and before some of them hit a wall.   We can bring in big FAs, but those guys don't hit market that often.

I personally wouldn't give Fields a single 1st team rep...I would make him take them...we are relaying on him to make everyone better...send him out there with 2nd team talent at receiver and if he makes them better then you know your on the right path...make him Russell Wilson the competition where we are almost having to stack the odds in Dalton's favour...if Fields still looks better and takes those 1st team reps then we know he is ready to start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

it's impressive that you have seen all 4 throws that fields has made that have been made public. truly impressive scouting on your part.

Get outta here with that.   I was talking about his body and his looks and his arm all of which you can see in about 4 throws without pads.   It is different seeing a guy stand next to another guy you have seen a bunch for scale. 

My metaphor stands.   You can take all Nagy kool aid you want.   I don't deify these guys.   Even Belichick is wrong quite a bit.

I guarantee we see Fields early this year barring injury or Dalton playing out of his mind.   Nagy is trying to relive the Mahomes experience right now because he thinks that is some secret formula.  

And if we don't Nagy is being stupid.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Get outta here with that.   I was talking about his body and his looks and his arm all of which you can see in about 4 throws without pads.   It is different seeing a guy stand next to another guy you have seen a bunch for scale. 

My metaphor stands.   You can take all Nagy kool aid you want.   I don't deify these guys.   Even Belichick is wrong quite a bit.

I guarantee we see Fields early this year barring injury or Dalton playing out of his mind.   Nagy is trying to relive the Mahomes experience right now because he thinks that is some secret formula.  

And if we don't Nagy is being stupid.  

nah, you get out of here with that - there has been so little video of players out of that rookie minicamp. to judge anything based on 4 throws, regardless if you're talking about the throw itself or how the player moves while throwing is just ridiculous

as for nagy, i'm not on some kool aid with im or believe he is a deity. i literally said in my post that i want him starting week 1. however, that doesn't mean that he should be automatically gifted the starting position and starters reps. make/let him earn it, even if it only takes one practice to see that he should be QB1. the best comp for this at his position is flynn/wilson - high priced free agent signed to start, russ slowly proved he was better - he starts week 1. great, if fields earns that, all the better. i think with this team the best comp might actually be eddie jackson. came in as a 4th round rookie coming of a year of injury, but after a few practices showed he was definitely the best player for the position, then he began taking starters reps and has been a stalwart on the back end of our defense for years now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If only that were a thing...

That could be...but, with five first round quarterbacks taken this year, if he still harbors that dream, it's most likely in the XFL. Anything else, and he needs a psychological examination. 

Why? Where is he going? What better situation is he falling into? 

There's always a chance I just think it's not a very good one is all.  Let's see what happens.  For all we know Dalton could pull off a career year and even keep Fields watching a while longer than expected.  That's not likely either but we've not even seen either of them take a single snap so all we can do is speculate on what's most likely.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Cam didnt get $10M bc Cam was terrible in 2020 and has to show that he has anything at all left.  $10M was actually low based on previous market value for a bridge, and was probably only so low bc of covid cap restrictions.  Remember just a few short years ago the Bears paid Mike Glennon $18M to be a bridge.  Case Kennum got similar money in Denver, Sam Bradford had to make more money per snap taken than anyone in the history of the NFL.  Dalton can probably go make $20M per for the next 5 years being the Journeyman bridge if he chooses.  It's the hard way to $100M but it gets you there none the less.

With starting QBs average annual salaries moving toward the $40 mil range paying $10-$20 mil for solid #2 guys isn't unreal.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Its like you are 18 and trying to decide who to take to prom.   It is between a super hot chick and a really average one who is only in running because you kinda have a bit of history.   The hot chick has large boobs and a tight butt and is really into you.   The other girl, isn't bad looking, but doesn't have those assets.  Not like you are deciding on a wife.  It's prom.

The average girl is cool, but she isn't going to same college as you so there is little chance of long term thing at moment.

We all know which way the 18 year old boy is going to go, it is just a matter of time.   

When Fields and Dalton stand side by side that's what its going to be like for Bears staff.

Fields is bigger, stronger and faster and has a stronger, more accurate arm and he has that child like eagerness.   Only thing Dalton has is knowledge and experience.

You tell yourself it is a hard decision, but we all know how this story ends.   Just get there now.   

Nagy needs to throw his plan in garbage.   This isn't Mahomes and Smith.  Smith was pretty hot and you had already asked her to Prom at time.  You would have had to dump her.  A much harder thing.      

Heck, if he went with Mahomes from jump he may have a ring now.

I'm asking whichever one is more likely to play Paradise By The Dashboard Lights with me.  😁

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

nah, you get out of here with that - there has been so little video of players out of that rookie minicamp. to judge anything based on 4 throws, regardless if you're talking about the throw itself or how the player moves while throwing is just ridiculous

as for nagy, i'm not on some kool aid with im or believe he is a deity. i literally said in my post that i want him starting week 1. however, that doesn't mean that he should be automatically gifted the starting position and starters reps. make/let him earn it, even if it only takes one practice to see that he should be QB1. the best comp for this at his position is flynn/wilson - high priced free agent signed to start, russ slowly proved he was better - he starts week 1. great, if fields earns that, all the better. i think with this team the best comp might actually be eddie jackson. came in as a 4th round rookie coming of a year of injury, but after a few practices showed he was definitely the best player for the position, then he began taking starters reps and has been a stalwart on the back end of our defense for years now.

merlin_97653108.0.jpgI

Do I need to review this photo for a year to know he looks big as hell?  And big in a good way.   Do i need a professional scout to tell me that?  Do you think Nagy and Lazor can't see it?

Do you get the hot chick metaphor now?  Do I have to explain it further to you?   

There is no way Dalton is starting for long, if at all.    It's like not starting Bo Jackson.  And Dalton is no Marcus Allen.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

At this point, even this early on in the process, it does seem to me that you're right. And that wasn't my opinion before the training camp. I think it's going to be apparent that they should trot Fields out there. And I like Dalton!

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

First of all, Nagy and Pace let everyone know that the Trubisky/Foles battle last year was an open competition, and while I don't think it was a truly fair competition, I don't think they were lying (even though they've been known to lie with disturbing regularity).

Second of all, @dll2000was saying that if the evidence is out there on the field, Nagy still choosing Dalton over Fields makes Nagy a "stubborn idiot". And let's be honest...we've suffered through Nagy's stubborn ways, and they've resulted in quite a few guys seeing playing time that simply should not have had it. Now, I think @dll2000is maybe overreacting a bit in this case...but he's not wrong. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

And to extent that watching Dalton is helpful, Fields can gain that same knowledge from watching Dalton's back up reps.  Someone please explain to me how this previous sentence is not true.   

It isn't true. Or, more precisely, MAY not be true. 

Why?

The assumption in your argument is that Fields is clearly above Dalton, at this point. Now...you're probably correct in that assumption, but we'll see what the coaching staff thinks. Luckily, there are guys below Nagy weighing in on this that I trust even more than Nagy. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think the "sit for a year" crap with Fields is just that...crap. It was a narrative they started even BEFORE they were able to draft Fields. They're not going to insist on sitting Fields, just because. 

Edited by Heinz D.

Was just watching PFT and they did a run down of the #1 overall selected QBs to start games in a rookie year records...only one with a winning season since 2007 was Andrew Luck going 11-5...I doubt Lawrence will be able to have a winning season either but if we start Fields I would be fairly confident of a winning season for his first year in the league. 

• Like 1