Jump to content

Dallas Rookie Minicamp News and Notes


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I wonder if the dislike for Cooper stems from his quiet personality? He's not an Alpha personality like Irvin or Dez.  Perception probably is that he doesn't care as much.

I think it stems from the contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This forum never stops being special. The following are all things that have been suggested:

Let's cut cooper because he plays through injuries. 

Let's cut Zeke because rbs are replaceable.

Let's not re-sign Jones because he doesn't generate turnovers. 

Let's cut Smith and the wolf hunter because we drafted some rookies.

Let's cut Dlaw because of the lack of sacks. 

Let Dak walk because paying a QB isn't worth it. 

Let's cut T Smith because he's injured. 

Let's Cut Williams because he isn't nearly as good as the other 4 OL. 

Let's cut Collins because he was fat last year. 

Let's cut Randy because he smokes weed, but we want David back. 

Let's cut Crawford because he makes too much money, despite being a captain and starter. 

...if this forum ran the Cowboys our best player would be Andy Dalton and we would be playing with a roster that barely meets the salary cap floor. 

I'm not saying that Cooper isn't a good receiver. He's definitely a top fifteen/top ten wide out in the league, and yes..he has only missed one game, but how often has he had to sit out plays due to various injuries? Now we have this news that he's unlikely to be ready by training camp after a procedure he had done five months ago that was supposed to be minor. That's a problem. He's no good to us on the bench, so I'd say if after this season the problem(s) persist - we should look at moving on, we'd save about $16MM. 

I like Zeke...but we should never have given him that extension. He had a down year last, but was still a top back according to PFF...but RBs are a dime a dozen and the league is moving more and more to one geared to the passing game. When's the last time a team won a SB with a premier back? New England won six without one. We're unfortunately stuck with him for at least two more years, but if he has another down season I'd look at reworking his contract. 

I was on board with re-signing Jones. 

D-Law is definitely overpaid given his lack of sacks...but he has tremendous value as a rusher and is an asset in the run game. I really think if we had someone capable of taking advantage of the opportunities he creates, we'd value him a lot more and he'd probably get some sacks too with someone else taking the attention away from him. I also think he'd benefit from us having a better interior rush/fat NT to take up blockers. 

I was always on board with re-signing Dak. I was going to step away from being a fan of this team had we not. 

I didn't say anything about cutting LVE. I'm glad we opted not to pick up his fifth year option, though. And Jaylon should be cut, because he's an overpaid liability. 

Tyron I would have moved on from, because, again...better to move on early than too late. 

I've never said we should move on from Williams. He's an above average starter and we could do a lot worse. I also never said we should move on from Collins or Randy...nor did I want David back. 

Crawford was a great locker room guy, but he definitely made too much money being an average player. We could have cut him or had him adjust his deal to free up cap space. But oh well, that ship has sailed now. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Pretty interesting.  Designed runs and screen passes have a negative EPA.

 

 

 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Bruh, I made an enormous post about this ~2ish years ago and the collective NFL Gen hive mind basically called me a moron. I pulled stats and analysis from like 5-6 different sources and they all came to the same opinion that Sid Gilman figured out decades ago: "When a coach tells you they need to establish the run game, they are full of (poop)"

 

Hmm. Looks like more and more people are realizing what I argued you all about. The run game doesnt matter 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to what happens with Coop after season.
 

I believe most here thought after year 2 of his new deal it was debatable whether or not he’d stick or not. And, that was before CD was even drafted. I’d hate to lose him, but assuming CD progresses, it’s kinda tough for me to not be a little infatuated with CD at WR1, signing Gallup to a $16m/yr or so deal, and putting Coop’s money to use else where. 

Edited by WizardHawk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 9:12 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This forum never stops being special. The following are all things that have been suggested:

Let's cut cooper because he plays through injuries. 

Let's cut Zeke because rbs are replaceable.

Let's not re-sign Jones because he doesn't generate turnovers. 

Let's cut Smith and the wolf hunter because we drafted some rookies.

Let's cut Dlaw because of the lack of sacks. 

Let Dak walk because paying a QB isn't worth it. 

Let's cut T Smith because he's injured. 

Let's Cut Williams because he isn't nearly as good as the other 4 OL. 

Let's cut Collins because he was fat last year. 

Let's cut Randy because he smokes weed, but we want David back. 

Let's cut Crawford because he makes too much money, despite being a captain and starter. 

...if this forum ran the Cowboys our best player would be Andy Dalton and we would be playing with a roster that barely meets the salary cap floor. 

In many cases, people are simply fed up with paying average players elite level money. If the production doesn’t match the salary, people will want the guy gone. And, it isn’t just relegated to the Cowboys. Fans of every team make the same statements across all sports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

In many cases, people are simply fed up with paying average players elite level money. If the production doesn’t match the salary, people will want the guy gone. And, it isn’t just relegated to the Cowboys. Fans of every team make the same statements across all sports.

I agree. Fandom is fascinating because it doesn't take into account supply and demand. 

The NFL is the league that guarantees the least money of any sports league - but people get caught up in the initial contract numbers. 

Id love someone to do an analysis of NFL contracts - how many deals go full term?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I agree. Fandom is fascinating because it doesn't take into account supply and demand. 

The NFL is the league that guarantees the least money of any sports league - but people get caught up in the initial contract numbers. 

Id love someone to do an analysis of NFL contracts - how many deals go full term?

I think every year Romo started I heard people say you need to get rid of Romo, and I'd always say and 'get who'?   The answer was always doesn't matter.   There are a lot of morons.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Ahem........ If you want to move on from a player who do you replace him with?

You figure that out through the draft and free agency. I refuse to lock myself into the notion that a player can’t be replaced just because there doesn’t appear to be anything at first glance. Behaviors like that keep teams drowning in mediocrity. Personally, I’d rather take a step back one year with the real chance at moving multiple steps forward the years after as opposed to standing still and never moving anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I agree. Fandom is fascinating because it doesn't take into account supply and demand. 

The NFL is the league that guarantees the least money of any sports league - but people get caught up in the initial contract numbers. 

Id love someone to do an analysis of NFL contracts - how many deals go full term?

If there wasnt a hard cap I wouldnt give a damn how much these guys get paid. But the truth is that we need 50 players and ~30-40 of them are going to get regular snaps. So when you have one guy significantly overpaid, it hurts worse than a Lebron who plays 75% of the game and is 20% of the team on the court. 

6 hours ago, TVScout said:

Ahem........ If you want to move on from a player who do you replace him with?

There is almost always someone whose value is better. For a little more than we pay Lawrence we could have gotten those 2 dudes the Packers had whom led the NFL in sacks. Both were FA signings. 

Yes, I know, hindsight and all that. But the point still stands that we have people whose value is out of whack. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

If there wasnt a hard cap I wouldnt give a damn how much these guys get paid. But the truth is that we need 50 players and ~30-40 of them are going to get regular snaps. So when you have one guy significantly overpaid, it hurts worse than a Lebron who plays 75% of the game and is 20% of the team on the court. 

There is almost always someone whose value is better. For a little more than we pay Lawrence we could have gotten those 2 dudes the Packers had whom led the NFL in sacks. Both were FA signings. 

Yes, I know, hindsight and all that. But the point still stands that we have people whose value is out of whack. 

What actual in their prime, top tier,  non injury prone, free agents have we signed recently?    

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

You figure that out through the draft and free agency. I refuse to lock myself into the notion that a player can’t be replaced just because there doesn’t appear to be anything at first glance. Behaviors like that keep teams drowning in mediocrity. Personally, I’d rather take a step back one year with the real chance at moving multiple steps forward the years after as opposed to standing still and never moving anywhere.

Paula Abdul would agree with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

There is almost always someone whose value is better.

Moving on from a player without his replacement on the roster is almost playing with fire. We were able to move on from Flo because we had Free.  We were able to move on from Free because Tyron was drafted the year before that.

Be   practical. If you want to move on from Tyron who do you replace him with? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...