Dallas Rookie Minicamp News and Notes

Texas_OutLaw7

9 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

What actual in their prime, top tier,  non injury prone, free agents have we signed recently?    

Not many. Headcase Hardy, the trade for Cooper... drawing a blank on anyone else. 

But I do believe that was a Garrett led decision. One that I personally agree with. Normally FA turns out as a bad buy. When Jerry had his hand in the cookie jar, he constantly went after FA's. 

7 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Moving on from a player without his replacement on the roster is almost playing with fire. We were able to move on from Flo because we had Free.  We were able to move on from Free because Tyron was drafted the year before that.

Be   practical. If you want to move on from Tyron who do you replace him with? 

I wouldnt want to move on from Tyron. Dude is only 30 and is the 41st paid OL. That represents value imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Not many. Headcase Hardy, the trade for Cooper... drawing a blank on anyone else. 

But I do believe that was a Garrett led decision. One that I personally agree with. Normally FA turns out as a bad buy. When Jerry had his hand in the cookie jar, he constantly went after FA's. 

I wouldnt want to move on from Tyron. Dude is only 30 and is the 41st paid OL. That represents value imo. 

I mean, we saw have a lot of versatility on our offensive line. I don't really have a problem moving on from Tyron after this season depending on how his injury concerns play out. 

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

I mean, we saw have a lot of versatility on our offensive line. I don't really have a problem moving on from Tyron after this season depending on how his injury concerns play out. 

It would be a really hard sell to me that Tyron isnt worth his contract even if he misses a few games. His cap hit is like $7m; other players of his caliber have cap hits of $20m+. I get people are frustrated with his injuries, but even if he was relagted to being the best swing tackle/back up in the NFL - - he would still be solid value. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It would be a really hard sell to me that Tyron isnt worth his contract even if he misses a few games. His cap hit is like $7m; other players of his caliber have cap hits of $20m+. I get people are frustrated with his injuries, but even if he was relagted to being the best swing tackle/back up in the NFL - - he would still be solid value. 

His cap hit in 2022 is $17.5MM and $17.6MM in 2023. I feel like unless he shows he can play a full year this season, I'd move on from him. 

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

His cap hit in 2022 is $17.5MM and $17.6MM in 2023. I feel like unless he shows he can play a full year this season, I'd move on from him. 

The restructures/dead cap is a sunk cost. The only thing we save is the $13.5m salary; which is still less than a bum like Nate Solder. 

I agree that a lot of what happens will depend on this year. But if he gives us even 12-13 games of probowl play, I would be disappointed if we moved on.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:24 AM, Matts4313 said:

Probably because he is hurt a lot and under performs on the road.

You can nitpick different splits on any player. NFL teams in general underperform on the road vs home, that’s why there is a 6 point swing for any given spread, depending on where the game is played.

Amari has been a really big producer, has had success playing through injury, and has been zero drama. He has great chemistry with our QB, and produced huge numbers in 2020 given the QB situation he dealt with. And he’s only just turning 27.

The idea that the opportunity cost of his cap space/trade value is greater than keeping him is very dubious, IMO. The idea of outright cutting him before this season is downright lunacy.

27 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I would have been ok with moving on from Tyron has we drafted Slater.

We saw Martin play at a high level at RT. We have Biadasz at center. You could figure out who between Williams or Collins would fit better at G or T. Have McGovern play the other guard spot. 

We've got options. Now, are they as good as Tyron at full strength? Probably not, aside from maybe Martin. But, they are options. Also, can't forget Josh Ball. Maybe we can get him to creepily stalk and beat opposing defensive lineman. 

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You can nitpick different splits on any player. NFL teams in general underperform on the road vs home, that’s why there is a 6 point swing for any given spread, depending on where the game is played.

His road split, extrapolated over 16 games is insanely poor tho. I looked it up a week or two ago, going off memory, its something like 125 targets - 55% catch - 800 yards - 4tds - 6ypc. 

Basically worse than any starting WR in the NFL as an aggerate. But also worse than some RBs/TEs in terms of YPC/Catch%.  

On 6/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, D82 said:

We saw Martin play at a high level at RT. We have Biadasz at center. You could figure out who between Williams or Collins would fit better at G or T. Have McGovern play the other guard spot. 

We've got options. Now, are they as good as Tyron at full strength? Probably not, aside from maybe Martin. But, they are options. Also, can't forget Josh Ball. Maybe we can get him to creepily stalk and beat opposing defensive lineman. 

You may be right, but I just felt Slater was a top tier talent, and since we have so much invested at the skill positions,  making our oline great again made more sense

DALLAS COWBOYS

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 20
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 29
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Cover 1 with a hole player

Dan Quinn becomes the new Cowboys defensive coordinator after six seasons as the Atlanta Falcons head coach. Quinn is thought of as a Cover 3 coach, but over the past two seasons, he’s played almost as much Cover 1 (36%) as he has Cover 3 (31%). He’s also added a subtle rotation into Cover 2 (14% of snaps) as a change-up.

Quinn also became more and more fond of the blitz as his reign in Atlanta went on, with his blitz rate climbing every year from 2016 on and jumping by just over four percentage points in each of the last two seasons.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021#DAL

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

DALLAS COWBOYS

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 20
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 29
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Cover 1 with a hole player

Dan Quinn becomes the new Cowboys defensive coordinator after six seasons as the Atlanta Falcons head coach. Quinn is thought of as a Cover 3 coach, but over the past two seasons, he’s played almost as much Cover 1 (36%) as he has Cover 3 (31%). He’s also added a subtle rotation into Cover 2 (14% of snaps) as a change-up.

Quinn also became more and more fond of the blitz as his reign in Atlanta went on, with his blitz rate climbing every year from 2016 on and jumping by just over four percentage points in each of the last two seasons.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021#DAL

As you all know, I’m a big fan of blitzing. Anything which puts additional pressure against the QB and O-line is something that I support, regardless of the risk. I’d rather be aggressive and go after the QB and fail as opposed to standing idly by and watch the guy pick my defense apart.

• 2 weeks later...