Giants sign former WR Kelvin Benjamin as TE; released 7/28

Blackstar12

18 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Also, gotta love how this thread was 5 pages of fat jokes, then Benjamin's head coach tells him to lose weight, he comes in even heavier so gets cut, then Judge is the bad guy. 

These are the first negative comments we've ever heard about Judge, and they are from a jilted, unmotivated tryout who felt like he was promised an opportunity because he knows the general manager.

Unfortunately for Judge I think he’s an easy target to blame because of the coaching tree he comes from. Benjamin saying Judge is a coach who will never win a Super Bowl is hilariously obtuse on his part.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

no clearly not.

he's a big man. 6'5 and muscular.

idc the excuse - it's a ridiculous request to ask someone to cut 15 pounds in two months when their current weight is within the acceptable range of the position in the first place.

there is no scenario where this is a realistic request... if Joe Judge was serious about it, he's out of touch. if he wasn't, he was setting Kelvin up to fail on purpose.

Pick your poison.

I dont know much about Judge and cant really comment on him either way.   Have any other players had issues with him?   

I do find your defense of Benjamin a bit odd, though.    This is a guy with well established issues in regards to his weight and conditioning.    Benjamin has the talent to be a decent WR and maybe TE.   Its his lack of discipline that has held him back and clearly still does.

Beyoynd that, even if they asked him to drop 15 lbs....maybe they had a reason for it.   265 can be carried in different ways.   What was his BMI at 265?   Maybe it was more of an effort to get him into better shape overall.    The whole "setting him up for failure" argument would make more sense if he dropped at least 5 or 6 lbs for camp and they still cut him.   But no no no....he gained 3 lbs and clearly made no real effort.

Bottom line....Joe Judge COULD be a terrible coach.   I am not defending him or attacking him on this matter.   All Im saying is that Kelvin Benjamin is notorious for his lack of effort, and he has no one to blame fir his situation but himself.

25 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont know much about Judge and cant really comment on him either way.   Have any other players had issues with him?   

I do find your defense of Benjamin a bit odd, though.    This is a guy with well established issues in regards to his weight and conditioning.    Benjamin has the talent to be a decent WR and maybe TE.   Its his lack of discipline that has held him back and clearly still does.

Beyoynd that, even if they asked him to drop 15 lbs....maybe they had a reason for it.   265 can be carried in different ways.   What was his BMI at 265?   Maybe it was more of an effort to get him into better shape overall.    The whole "setting him up for failure" argument would make more sense if he dropped at least 5 or 6 lbs for camp and they still cut him.   But no no no....he gained 3 lbs and clearly made no real effort.

Bottom line....Joe Judge COULD be a terrible coach.   I am not defending him or attacking him on this matter.   All Im saying is that Kelvin Benjamin is notorious for his lack of effort, and he has no one to blame fir his situation but himself.

I already have a low opinion of Benjamin. I just found it telling about Judge.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:02 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

the stealing food thing was an obvious joke...

idk why youd ask a 265 lb WR to come in at 250 to play TE either. Nor why you wouldnt at least let him practice.

he was a fat 265. if a player doesnt make weight and them whines about the weight requirement after the fact, its not a good omen for his work ethic going forward

Edited by Turnobili

He got the benefit of the doubt (from some people anyway) after losing his mom while he was still in Carolina.  They were close and many of his negative behaviors either began or intensified around that time.  That pain never really goes away, but at this point it's clear that the guy is just a jerk.  Now I wonder if he was always that way or if he was radically and permanently changed by it.

• Like 1