Giants sign former WR Kelvin Benjamin as TE; released 7/28

Blackstar12

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Personally I was never a fan.  I absolutely hated the pick, easily my least favorite 1st round Panthers selection that I can remember.  Then after his rookie season I thought, well maybe I'm wrong.  I still didn't think he was an ideal WR1 but felt he could be a great number two.  Then everything that happened after kind of confirmed what I thought about him as a prospect, and that was before I knew his work ethic was so poor.

Classic looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane guy. 

His pre-Draft measurables were pretty decent, though his 40 time was a tad slow for a WR. I always thought he should've stayed in school at least one more season (though I get why he didn't). 

I'm not saying he'll be a success now, but a part of me does wonder what might've been different if he switched to TE early on in his career, and if it would've helped his motivation/work ethic. In college, he was simply THAT MUCH BIGGER than most opponents and could get away with a lack  of refinement by size alone, and I think that mentality carried over. Had he switched and been challenged more often, maybe he never flops? I don't know for sure, but fun to think about. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:28 AM, HoboRocket said:

He was a rookie sensation for the Panthers and Cam's most-talented WR. Played amazing football in 2014, ended up missing all of Cam's MVP season with an injury.

Bruh, no. He was literally a 50/50 receiver his rookie season. He wasn't amazing. He was just producing by volume. He was solid, sure, but this makes him sound like Julio or Hopkins. He was so-so.

Came back in 2016 with a bang; was crazy-productive in that Super Bowl rematch season-opener. Didn't have the dominant season that everyone expected, but still churned out good totals and was the Panthers' number one receiver.

He wasn't crazy productive in the opener, he was actually much more productive the following game against San Fran. Carried a 50% catch rate in the Denver game and had no eye-popping totals. He would go on through the season carrying a 50% or less catch rate seven times. The offense was painfully limited by his inability to create any separation, box out defenders (huge body but played soft as hell) and with Funchess flanking him, it was even worse. Teams had to fear no one but Ginn over the top and his hands were wildly inconsistent.

2017 came around, and all of a sudden that's his contract year. He was good, but not great and was in and out of the doghouse because he had shown up to camp out of shape. He was always a really heavy WR, but the dude was getting more and more out of shape as his career progressed and his weight continued to balloon. He was traded to the Bills at the deadline. Again, he wasn't having a bad year at that point, he was solid but the Panthers already had a potential replacement in Devin Funchess, a WR with a similar profile and higher athletic ceiling.

Yeah, dude came in like a balloon to camp as I recall. Honestly, I view getting a 3rd for him as one of the biggest steals in Panthers history. I had no idea what people saw in him coming out. Had him as a 2nd-3rd round player at best. How we walked out of the best WR draft class in over a decade with his fat *** was absolutely unbelieveable. Robinson and Adams still on the board. Big sad.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, ET80 said:

Nepotism makes the NFL go 'round. Been that way since Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells put down roots.

I just need a guy on the inside to get me a spot in camp.

• I just turned 30
  • Ive never played TE
  • haven’t taken an NFL snap in the last 3 years
  • im not athletic enough to be a slot WR

imo I’m TE3 material. Good work ethic, fun locker room guy, and low risk signing now that weed isn’t a big deal

• Like 5

Its funny how both him and Tebow are getting so much talk at this moment the chances of making it are slim. Kbenji wont make it cause his work ethic sucks he counts on his talent and can go only so far. He doesnt put time in the gym or on the field for extra reps. I saw it in college when he played at FSU and was clearly counting on his talent to handle it. Tebow complete opposite but wont make it his work ethic is great and his mindset could be at 110% but he will flop due to his inability to be good at it. He is an athlete and works hard but he is incapable of mastering at his position. He has talent just not good enough to get it done. He will get a summer paycheck and go back to SEC commentating or something. 

I guess if it isnt for these 2 signings then there wouldnt be much to talk about other then Rodgers and Julio talk with a sprinkle of Watson in the mix while debating whether they are being divas or the organizations are doing them wrong or something of that nature 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:34 AM, Dome said:

I just need a guy on the inside to get me a spot in camp.

• I just turned 30
  • Ive never played TE
  • haven’t taken an NFL snap in the last 3 years
  • im not athletic enough to be a slot WR

imo I’m TE3 material. Good work ethic, fun locker room guy, and low risk signing now that weed isn’t a big deal

Get this man an Agent!

red carpet hello GIF by Target

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Having seen the video of Benjamin leaving the field, I think this person doesn't know what "storming off the field" means. Benjaming was slowly walking off the field with his head down...

In his defence, that could be Benjamin stomping at full speed. 

• Like 3