Rookie Mini Camp

WindyCity

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I was in Florida once as a kid. Other than that the furthest south I have been is St. Louis on a baseball rod trip.

Is that far enough South?

Well Denver isn't all that far south but if you drew a line across the country it is south of Chicago.  More in line with KC, St. Louis, Indy, etc.

So if we have Waffle Houses here my guess is all those other places do as well but up in Canuckistan I'm afraid you're gonna have to settle for Tim Horton's.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

This one is on County Line Road just east of Broadway.  That's the one I used to hit up.  Epicurean finery.....LOL

There's also one in Parker, one in Aurora, and another in Thornton.

the thornton one was the location i was thinking of

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, soulman said:

Well Denver isn't all that far south but if you drew a line across the country it is south of Chicago.  More in line with KC, St. Louis, Indy, etc.

So if we have Waffle Houses here my guess is all those other places do as well but up in Canuckistan I'm afraid you're gonna have to settle for Tim Horton's.

Mmmmmm Tim Bits... 

Nashville has Waffle Houses. Not sure I recall seeing one further north than that though. 

• Like 1

Just got back from AL - Gulf Shores.

Fam has so many food restrictions we rarely go out to eat and I am only big breakfast eater - so I never went to Waffle House this trip.  We never went out to eat out all really, though kids had to have shaved ice (big snow cone) every day.   

But when my father in law is down there with us, I go all the time because he likes to walk there for exercise .   Its about 2 miles or so away from condo.

It’s good.  Not great.  It’s breakfast food with some more fried items and grits on menu.  Hard to mess it up.

South has a lot of advantages over North, but fine dining is not one of them.  Other than sea food that is.  

A little FYI on things happening in different part of country.  

It’s crazy right now that every business in service or retail can’t find employees.  There was a now hiring sign on every restaurant, fast food and tourist place.

I talked to some business owners and they had all their kids and parents working because they can’t get any employees at moment.   Long time business owner we knew died last year of heart attack.  Different family bought his place and told me scoop.  He was like a year older than me.  That really sucked.  

Also they had this pipeline hack.  You may have heard of it.  Some people ran to gas station and bought a bunch of containers and tried to horde gas.  I had to buy premium at mobile because 87 and 89 was sold out for a day.   It never go too bad in AL.  Friends on E coast though said people went crazy.  Media scare power is stronger out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Just got back from AL - Gulf Shores.

Fam has so many food restrictions we rarely go out to eat and I am only big breakfast eater - so I never went to Waffle House this trip.  We never went out to eat out all really, though kids had to have shaved ice (big snow cone) every day.   

But when my father in law is down there with us, I go all the time because he likes to walk there for exercise .   Its about 2 miles or so away from condo.

It’s good.  Not great.  It’s breakfast food with some more fried items and grits on menu.  Hard to mess it up.

South has a lot of advantages over North, but fine dining is not one of them.  Other than sea food that is.  

A little FYI on things happening in different part of country.  

It’s crazy right now that every business in service or retail can’t find employees.  There was a now hiring sign on every restaurant, fast food and tourist place.

I talked to some business owners and they had all their kids and parents working because they can’t get any employees at moment.   Long time business owner we knew died last year of heart attack.  Different family bought his place and told me scoop.  He was like a year older than me.  That really sucked.  

Also they had this pipeline hack.  You may have heard of it.  Some people ran to gas station and bought a bunch of containers and tried to horde gas.  I had to buy premium at mobile because 87 and 89 was sold out for a day.   It never go too bad in AL.  Friends on E coast though said people went crazy.  Media scare power is stronger out there.

The minimum wage increase is going to happen... without the government mandating it.

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mmmmmm Tim Bits... 

Nashville has Waffle Houses. Not sure I recall seeing one further north than that though. 

There are a few as far north as Ohio but not many.  Georgia seems to have the most.  Over 400.  Poor Dazz....LOL.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Some people went nuts over a gas shortage that lasted a week or less.  Once the hackers got the ransom ware cash the pipeline was freed.

They shoulda been around in the late '70s when the oil embargoes hit and gas prices went through the roof.  The most ridiculous and most dangerous deal I saw was a car trunk loaded with what looked like clear plastic or vinyl bags filled with gasoline.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The minimum wage increase is going to happen... without the government mandating it.

Be interesting to see how good old fashioned "free market" principals finally have an impact on this.

I don't wanna walk down a dangerous road here dealing with wages and macro economics except to say I have no ****s to give as far as those employers struggling to fill job openings.  People in the workforce are finally waking up to the fact that they do have far more economic value than they're being compensated for.

The laws of supply and demand are coming home to roost or put another way "when you have them by the balls, their checkbooks come out".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Some people went nuts over a gas shortage that lasted a week or less.  Once the hackers got the ransom ware cash the pipeline was freed.

They shoulda been around in the late '70s when the oil embargoes hit and gas prices went through the roof.  The most ridiculous and most dangerous deal I saw was a car trunk loaded with what looked like clear plastic or vinyl bags filled with gasoline.

There's a photo circulating the internet of a Hummer that did something similar. The guy went to drive away, lit a cigarette, and that was all she wrote for the vehicle.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Be interesting to see how good old fashioned "free market" principals finally have an impact on this.

I don't wanna walk down a dangerous road here dealing with wages and macro economics except to say I have no ****s to give as far as those employers struggling to fill job openings.  People in the workforce are finally waking up to the fact that they do have far more economic value than they're being compensated for.

The laws of supply and demand are coming home to roost or put another way "when you have them by the balls, their checkbooks come out".

You know more than I do about it.  But I know some basic economic laws and they function in any govt. system.

Supply and Demand will always function regardless.  Blackmarkets come online with too much regulation and bans.   

If govt. tries to implement price controls then it results in shortages.

Too much money being pumped out, especially fictional or printed money, will result in inflation.  Seeing that now as well I think.  Prices of a lot of things going up.  Especially food.   

You also have a human nature factor that many people if given money and/or food, even a relative little, will choose that option over working.  It can be a horrible trap.  That has at least a little something to do with labor shortage.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

There's a photo circulating the internet of a Hummer that did something similar. The guy went to drive away, lit a cigarette, and that was all she wrote for the vehicle.

People never seem to get that it's not the liquid it's the fumes that can become a bomb when sparked or hit with an open flame.  Imagine the collection of those inside of a closed vehicle transporting gas in containers not intended to be used that way.

It's likely to be another hold my beer and watch this event for the Darwin crowd.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You know more than I do about it.  But I know some basic economic laws and they function in any govt. system.

Supply and Demand will always function regardless.  Blackmarkets come online with too much regulation and bans.   

If govt. tries to implement price controls then it results in shortages.

Too much money being pumped out, especially fictional or printed money, will result in inflation.  Seeing that now as well I think.  Prices of a lot of things going up.  Especially food.   

You also have a human nature factor that many people if given money and/or food, even a relative little, will choose that option over working.  It can be a horrible trap.  That has at least a little something to do with labor shortage.

All an extension of basic economic principals.  How the government chooses to apply it's own economic theory and thumbprint can impact everything else down the line.  The battle over Kenseyian Economics vs whatever the most modern term is for Free Market Laissez Faire Capitalism has been going on globally for a couple of centuries now and here at least since the 1930 "New Deal Era".

Each theory has it's own set of benefits and detraction's.

Currently it would appear that rising prices can also be attributed to lower production and interruptions in supply chains that have decreased supply and in many instances also increased production costs.  It will take some time to restore the balance between supply and demand again and only then will we know whether systemic inflation is back or what we're experiencing is just a COVID driven blip.

As unemployment supplements terminate we'll begin to learn just how much this lag in workforce availability is based on that.  No doubt it has some impact in some geographic areas and in some industries.  But the positioning and cost structure of the workforce has also been altered by COVID so that lump is also working it's way through the corporate python right now and has to be digested.

But clearly there is an upward pressure on wages coming from both the government and workforce demands as a whole.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

As unemployment supplements terminate we'll begin to learn just how much this lag in workforce availability is based on that.  No doubt it has some impact in some geographic areas and in some industries.  But the positioning and cost structure of the workforce has also been altered by COVID so that lump is also working it's way through the corporate python right now and has to be digested.

The supplements have had some effect. And, as you say, there has been some tweaking of the various workforce realities.

Plus, a lot of people died. Changes everything. Potential workers are dead, potential workers lives have been altered. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, soulman said:

People never seem to get that it's not the liquid it's the fumes that can become a bomb when sparked or hit with an open flame.  Imagine the collection of those inside of a closed vehicle transporting gas in containers not intended to be used that way.

It's likely to be another hold my beer and watch this event for the Darwin crowd.

In an earlier career I once was part of an unlucky work crew that led to the evacuation of Lake Point Towers as we created a ton of static electricity by dragging a bronze panel across a carpet into Oprah's apartment. Oops. Still tell that story when anything shows up by heli to make sure things are grounded. 

My advice to employees and kids is always "don't end up on the news!"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soulman said:

...But clearly there is an upward pressure on wages coming from both the government and workforce demands as a whole.

This was actually starting to be seen before the whole pandemic and pandemic relief started.

• Like 2