2021 Roster Injury Tracker

DreamKid

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Edit: TL;WR
1. I’m not backtracking because the IOL still seems better than last year and Lamar historically struggles more with bad IOL play than with a bad edge protection.

2. I expect the OL to improve with more time to gel, similar to last season.. and also similar to 2018 when Lamar took over.

3. Also because the assets most likely to make a difference went towards draft values that are hard to be against.

Nope. Because again, I’m not seeing any solutions, just problem presenting. Who would you replace asset wise?

- Rashod Bateman, who many felt could’ve been a top 15-20 pick at WR? Just imagine if he were healthy and added to the promise we saw from the other WRs, could we not have a viable passing attack with his inclusion?

- Odafe Oweh, the guy who was a terror against the Raiders at edge and is the first legit impact edge talent we’ve had since a young Suggs?

Again, I’ve felt the OL will be fine along the IOL, stronger than last year. I’ve stated that Lamar can “endure” edge pressure far more than interior pressure. The results were a Lamar AY/A of 8.50, which is still 2019 levels of efficiency.

So do I want Lamar pressure to the tune of 56% of dropbacks, as he was? Absolutely not.

Yet just as we made moves in 2020 to improve the weak spots of our OL, we will make moves to do so in 2021, I’m sure. Again though, if/when our OT play improves our IOL has far more experience, talent, and depth to it… meaning Lamar can feel more confident to step INTO the pocket vs scrambling outside.

The early results are that the problems along the OL were:
- Injured Stanley
- Tyre Phillips (IR)
- Alejandro Villanueva

- Stanley will by all accounts likely be shutdown now until he looks closer to his normal level of health- meaning he shouldn’t be a turnstile when he does come back (hopefully).

- Phillips going down is unfortunate for him, but is sort of a Tony Jefferson situation, where the team will almost certainly benefit from improved performance now that the politics of the depth chart is no longer the case.

- AV now back to his “normal” position, could potentially show some level of improvement. Whether marginal or not, it’ll be hard for him to do worse than against the Raiders from here on out.
—————
Replacements:

- Patrick Mekari will likely move into the RT role. In 2020 he delivered in that average to above average capacity based on the metrics and what I remember of him when lined up there. Thus I’d expect him to be an improvement over AV’s Raider debut.

- Ben Powers already delivered legit improvement over what Phillips showed us prior to him going down. Ben Cleveland is our depth. Bredeson being traded however certainly reduced what I anticipated the strength of our depth to look like this season.
————

So I’m not defending EDC for his approach with the OL with some of his moves, such as trading Bredeson, going FB over OL, drafting Bredeson (guard exclusive) in the first place, etc.

However I also know that early last season, Phillips performed WORSE than AV (scoring in the low 30s by PFF as opposed to low 40s) and Brown Jr and Stanley were performing below standard with 50 and 60 type grades. Brown Jr eventually improved and Stanley was improving until he eventually went down.

So the way I see it, with all the new pieces of the OL and all the injuries that forced guys in/out of the lineup, I expect progression from the OL moving forward- just as we saw last season. With all the injuries you might as well say the OL was under COVID-19 type protocols, considering how little time they had to gel.

So again, just as I don’t think the 1st practice is enough to judge the OL by, I don’t think 1 game is enough to judge their annual performance by.

I stated that I think the 2021 OL is setup to potentially be better for Lamar than the 2020 unit, specifically because of the IOL talent and depth… the first game has not shown that to be false. So it’s a situation worth monitoring. If the IOL can perform at a consistently average to above average level, I feel confident Lamar can deliver the ball in a more reliable fashion over last season. In the first game they did that and Lamar for all the pressure, thrived as a passer.

Am I concerned with the OL, absolutely. But I’m not willing to backtrack because it’s hard to say I regret either draft selection and at the time of signing AV was seemingly the best/most logic choice towards addressing the OT situation (though hindsight logic we could’ve waited and Moses would’ve fallen into our laps).

Lmao like I originally said.

Its literally impossible for you to admit you were wrong on something on here.

Youd rather write a 50 page dissertation full of spin zones to somehow just graze over the fact you couldn’t have been more wrong about “our OL will be better than last year”.

We all get stuff wrong on here and most of us own it.

Oh well. I know you know.

2 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I had belief it would be better. Not the first time I've been wrong and it won't be the last 🤷🏻‍♂️

And that’s all well and good. Same on this end. But a little dense to act like the pettiness is unfounded on my end when your original comment on my post was snarky. 

Wish i hadn’t been right but unfortunately it seemed like the very likely outcome. Hopefully they get better. I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Youd rather write a 50 page dissertation full of spin zones to somehow just graze over the fact you couldn’t have been more wrong about “our OL will be better than last year”.

Do I like admitting I’m wrong, no. Yet I’ve certainly done so, specifically when enough evidence is presented.

Some major notables are:
- Kyle Boller still has the ability to turn it around, it was just a bad rookie season.🤐
- Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson, and Leodis McKelvin over Joe Flacco.🤕
- JJ Watt would be a terrible 1st round selection. 😱
- This 2011 Ravens squad is a team of destiny. 🥺
- JJAW will be a beast.🤠
- “EDC won’t trade OBJr for less than a 1st or I’ll stop being a fan until he retires or makes up for it with a steal (Odafe Oweh as a legit DROY candidate just might suffice).”😤

Notable things with the potential to be proven incorrect/correct within the next couple seasons:
- Biadasz would’ve been our solution at center and EDC dropped the ball… this looks to be nearly in the above category.
- JKD will get 2000 APYs within his first 3 seasons. (I loved my chances, but after this injury… I’m a little less confident).
- Ravens 2021 OL will be better than 2020 OL.

Back to present:
Spinzones? Where?

Maybe though two things that I don’t think can be disputed are 1) Our IOL starting talent and depth is far better than last season and 2) Lamar Jackson is much more impacted by interior pressure than exterior pressure.

So while the OT talent is likely going to see a potential decline, that impact to the overall quality of the OL in protecting Lamar should still result in a net gain considering teams can’t be as aggressive along the outside or risk giving Lamar the kind of green that can lead to a momentous contract extension for Lamar- midgame.

So all things considered if healthy our OL looks better than last year, if healthy IMO and if injuries occur, it should still look about as good or better considering the strength of our OL is the weakness of our QBs pocket presence and the weakness of our OL is our QBs strength. Whereas last year that was not the case.

I said the SAME things in my post here from when this first came up as I did above. 

Since then EDC traded away Bredeson, so some of the major depth I felt we had, we no longer have, which isn’t something that could’ve been foresaw. So I do feel the IOL depth MIGHT be a little more shaky with Mekari kicking out to RT. Yet even then TCC looked good when called upon and Bozeman could always flip back to guard if TCC is a center exclusive option. So I like the interior more than I liked it last season. Zeitler is better and our other interior options are more experienced.

AV is also proving to be worse than I thought possible as he performed at 2020 Phillips level bad against the Raiders.

Yet it’s only one game and I don’t make it a point to judge a player based on one performance.

Just as after one game I felt the IOL held up about how I thought it would hold up. Yet it’s only one game and I’m much more interested in seeing how the unit holds up against a Chris Jones led IDL unit. 

So as of now I see nothing that would prove my comments to be true nor untrue.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

With the news of Stanley’s injury woes, I feel Adrian Ealy, who looked pretty solid in the preseason from what I recall, should most definitely be moved to the active roster as soon as possible.

Ealy received limited reps when fresh against competition that had already put in a lot of work IIRC. So his performance does have an asterisk next to it. Very limited sample size and he had a competitive advantage a lot of times by being our last Tackle to rotate in and face worn down defenses.

I don't know if the team had a lot of Year 1 plans for him beyond a PS spot(Certainly didn't give him a shot at extended Preseason playing time), but we're desperate now so who knows?

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Ealy received limited reps when fresh against competition that had already put in a lot of work IIRC. So his performance does have an asterisk next to it. Very limited sample size and he had a competitive advantage a lot of times by being our last Tackle to rotate in and face worn down defenses.

I don't know if the team had a lot of Year 1 plans for him beyond a PS spot(Certainly didn't give him a shot at extended Preseason playing time), but we're desperate now so who knows?

Yeah, I just don’t want him getting some game action and a team putting in a claim on him. That would make our already tenuous OT situation look a lot worse. Kind of feels like it would be par for the course too. Hopefully he remains undiscovered though.

21 hours ago, M.10.E said:

As long as 8 is playing we have a chance (except KC).

This. It sucks with all our injuries but they all happened at the same time (roughly) at the start of the season. The O-line sucks but will get better once Stanley is fully healed and the unit has a chance to gel. Our entire backfield was new to the team going into this game and our best runner couldn't pick up a blitz. Our secondary is filled with young talent trying to get up to speed with the Peters injury and Jimmy Smith not playing.

HORRENDOUS O-line play, brand new backfield, WRs just back from injury, young/raw secondary... and we nearly beat the Raiders on the road who are a likely playoff team. Every aspect of this team will be better as the season goes on. It sucks we aren't as good as we were hoping/expecting but I still think this is a team that will make it to the playoffs and as long as #8 is taking the snaps anything can happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

This. It sucks with all our injuries but they all happened at the same time (roughly) at the start of the season. The O-line sucks but will get better once Stanley is fully healed and the unit has a chance to gel. Our entire backfield was new to the team going into this game and our best runner couldn't pick up a blitz. Our secondary is filled with young talent trying to get up to speed with the Peters injury and Jimmy Smith not playing.

HORRENDOUS O-line play, brand new backfield, WRs just back from injury, young/raw secondary... and we nearly beat the Raiders on the road who are a likely playoff team. Every aspect of this team will be better as the season goes on. It sucks we aren't as good as we were hoping/expecting but I still think this is a team that will make it to the playoffs and as long as #8 is taking the snaps anything can happen.

Agreed. This is how I see it. Nearly word for word.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:15 AM, Ray Reed said:

Yeahhhh sorry but I'm gonna keep posting this until something I said actually doesn't turn out to be completely 100% true.

2/2 so far with Villanueva being bad and Stanley being injured. I expect to be 3/3 soon once Zeitler's consistent losses at the LOS become more evident with more game film. Guy wasn't good last year for NYG.

Any of the "Our OL is actually going to be better in 2021, I'm not worried" truthers wanna backtrack yet? I'll give you one chance. Don't be stubborn @diamondbull424 @baltimoreRebel

On 9/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, baltimoreRebel said:

Imagine being this petty. 

Was I wrong that the offensive line would be improved. Yes. 

Do you feel validated now? 

On 9/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, Ray Reed said:

So I’m just curious if you’ll be as boisterous about the play of the Ravens OL and how you were proven to be correct (after one game no less) about how the OL would look this season after they just played well and beat up on the Chiefs.

The sample size is STILL too small to make seasonal judgments. Yet it looks like the needle has moved into a better direction.

Like I said, I don’t like admitting I’m wrong but definitely not after one game. It’s only logical to wait at least the 1st quarter of the season before making any fragmental judgments about what to expect from any unit or player.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So I’m just curious if you’ll be as boisterous about the play of the Ravens OL and how you were proven to be correct (after one game no less) about how the OL would look this season after they just played well and beat up on the Chiefs.

The sample size is STILL too small to make seasonal judgments. Yet it looks like the needle has moved into a better direction.

Like I said, I don’t like admitting I’m wrong but definitely not after one game. It’s only logical to wait at least the 1st quarter of the season before making any fragmental judgments about what to expect from any unit or player.

If they play this season like they did tonight i was 100% wrong and will happily admit it, did not see this performance coming from them, my major ? is what happens when Stanley gets back, it’s clear so far AV can only play LT