Are Washington & Denver a “QB away” from being SB contending teams?

ClutchDJ

1 minute ago, CP3MVP said:

Denever does not have a “stacked” offense in paper. They don’t even have one elite skill position guy. Juedy and Fant have potential, they haven’t shown anything yet ,

Courtland Sutton showed a lot in 2019, especially considering who he was catching passes from. Elite, probably not, but he's just gotten forgotten post-injury.

4 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Denever does not have a “stacked” offense in paper. They don’t even have one elite skill position guy. Juedy and Fant have potential, they haven’t shown anything yet ,

Sutton is a WR1 in this league and Top 15 WR. He's basically Baby Michael Thomas. Jeudy could easily be a WR2, and has WR1 potential. Fant also has Top 10 TE potential, and is already decent. They also drafted Javonte Williams, quite similar to Josh Jacobs and should be an extremely solid RB for Denver. 

4 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

So I ask, are they really just 1 QB away?

It may depend on what you mean by "1 QB".  An elite one?  An average or better one?  A top 24 one?

Washington (2021 DVOAs:  Overall-16th, Offense-32nd, Defense-3rd) had the pieces (PFF aggregate:11th) on offense going into 2020 but they performed dead last as a unit.  If given a free rein, an Aaron Rodgers could get them close to glory.

Denver (2021 DVOAs: Overall-29th, Offense-30th, Defense-13th) didn't have the components (PFF aggregate:25th) on offense a year ago and haven't had a complete metamorphosis since (though they did well in the off-season).  They'd need a one-man band such as Deshaun Watson to get near the Super Bowl.

My guesstimate?  An average QB (and Fitz isn't far from that) could get Washington into the second week of the playoffs, Denver into the Wild Card game.

• Like 1

My thought process is the Division both Washington & Denver are in.

True, only 6 games account for the 17 that will be played. However, it usually is a good bar for winning your Division or at least getting in as a 5th, 6th or 7th seed in most seasons.

Washington was only 7-9 last year as a Division winner. But was 4-2 inside the Division. Sweeping Dallas & Philly & losing to Giants x2. (Note: Rivera gave the Giants 1 of them as an early Christmas gift)

Denver was 5-11 last year & last place. They were 1-5 inside their Division. Their 1 win came vs the Chargers.

Imo, winning Divisional games is all about coaching. Good coaches win inside their Division.

Last season in 2019, Nic Fangio went 7-9 with Denver. Only 3-3 inside the Division.

If Denver wants to make it & possibly win the SB, Nic Fangio needs to do better inside his own Division.

So to answer the OP's question?

I think a QB would help tremendously in winning more Divisional games & making the Playoffs & possibly the SB.

I think Washington is already there, if Fitz can stay healthy...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Sutton is a WR1 in this league and Top 15 WR. He's basically Baby Michael Thomas. Jeudy could easily be a WR2, and has WR1 potential. Fant also has Top 10 TE potential, and is already decent. They also drafted Javonte Williams, quite similar to Josh Jacobs and should be an extremely solid RB for Denver. 

I'd say Sutton is likely top 20, but not top 15...yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

I'd say Sutton is likely top 20, but not top 15...yet.

Sutton’s catch point and radius is Top 3 in the league. If he had Aaron Rodgers, homeboy is putting up 1700 yards and 12 TDs, and is a Top 5 WR. 

Who have been Suttons QBs…? Drew Lock, the #32 Ranked Starter in the NFL. And Joe Flacco, like the 50th Ranked QB in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Sutton’s catch point and radius is Top 3 in the league. If he had Aaron Rodgers, homeboy is putting up 1700 yards and 12 TDs, and is a Top 5 WR. 

Who have been Suttons QBs…? Drew Lock, the #32 Ranked Starter in the NFL. And Joe Flacco, like the 50th Ranked QB in the NFL. 

So the only thing preventing Courtland Sutton from an 8th or better all-time WR season in the history of the NFL, is not having Rodgers? He's gotta be #1 in the NFL then, screw top 5.

Who have Terry McLaurins QB's been? He's gotta be #2.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

So the only thing preventing Courtland Sutton from an 8th or better all-time WR season in the history of the NFL, is not having Rodgers? He's gotta be #1 in the NFL then, screw top 5.

A QB like Rodgers would make any WR1 put up elite tier numbers. This forum really sleeps on Sutton and I’m a Raider fan. This forum also really sleeps on how much a QB has on his other offensive teammates. Those Bronco players are not putting up giddy stats because Drew Lock is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Sutton, Jeudy, and Hamler would easily be a Top 5 WR core in the NFL if they had a Top 10 QB. 

• Like 2

Just now, BayRaider said:

A QB like Rodgers would make any WR1 put up elite tier numbers. This forum really sleeps on Sutton and I’m a Raider fan. This forum also really sleeps on how much a QB has on his other offensive teammates. Those Bronco players are not putting up giddy stats because Drew Lock is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Sutton, Jeudy, and Hamler would easily be a Top 5 WR core in the NFL if they had a Top 10 QB. 

I like Sutton a lot too. But there are a lot of good WR's right now.

12 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

the real answer would be Baltimore

am I right, @Bonanza23

they are scary with a running back...imagine them with even a league average rock tosser 

IMHO definitely. They're a two-headed monster at RB, a real thunder and lightning approach, as Dobbins can run between the tackles on the first two downs. And recycling one of these guys in the future keeps cap space to extend Sammy Watkins (4/$64mil) once he balls out Baltimore WR-style (700/4).

Do not change a thing and extend Greg Roman.

That said, if Baltimore traded for Rodgers they are instantly a contender.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 3