Are Washington & Denver a “QB away” from being SB contending teams?

ClutchDJ

On 5/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, BayRaider said:

Disagree on all of those except Jags, Eagles, Jets. Those teams need another year of building. 

However, you are vastly underestimating how much better an Elite QB makes a team, and can carry a team. They make a team 5x better easily, especially Aaron Rodgers.

He makes 28 teams a "Super Bowl Contender" (leave out Lions, Jets, Eagles, and Jags).

He makes the Broncos and Washington a clear Top 3 "Super Bowl Favorite". 

Big difference between contender and favorite. 

Why should we believe that when Rodgers hasn't been able to even get to the Super Bowl in 10 years with his own team?  If we're talking about Tom Brady, I'd buy it, because he has been to so many Super Bowls.  Rodgers, on the other hand, has shown that he can't put his team on his back when he needs to.  He can throw great passes, and he looks terrific against inferior competition, but against the league's best teams, he consistently comes up short.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, BayRaider said:

Sutton is a WR1 in this league and Top 15 WR. He's basically Baby Michael Thomas. Jeudy could easily be a WR2, and has WR1 potential. Fant also has Top 10 TE potential, and is already decent. They also drafted Javonte Williams, quite similar to Josh Jacobs and should be an extremely solid RB for Denver. 

Courtland Sutton is Demaryius Thomas with 50/50 jump ball ability. Just a elite RZ threat and downfield target

Just now, BayRaider said:

Totally disagree. Sutton > Your boy OBJ all day. 

He sure as heck isnt Michael Thomas lol Mike Thomas hasnt run a route further than 15 yards in 2 year. All Sutton does is run deep routes and uses his size/speed. Similar to Kenny Galloday

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

He sure as heck isnt Michael Thomas lol Mike Thomas hasnt run a route further than 15 yards in 2 year. All Sutton does is run deep routes and uses his size/speed. Similar to Kenny Galloday

I never said he was Michael Thomas, I said he was baby Michael Thomas. Thomas is probably a Top 5-6 WR (if he regains his form) while Sutton is 14-15. 

On 5/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, SkippyX said:

You have to look at it both ways.

Maybe on DC because the D can carry them when Rodgers chokes.

Rodgers on Denver is just Rodgers on a worse team than the 2020 Packers.

In some ways yes, in some ways no.  On pure talent, let's accept your premise.   Accepting that, it doesn't mean Denver's chances are worse for 2021.

For the regular season - the biggest difference is that Denver gets a last-place schedule, and matches up with the AFCN, and the NFCE for 2021.  The 2 at-large teams are the Jags & Jets.   And the 17th game is Detroit.   Let's just accept your premise - a worse team is still likely to succeed with that schedule combo.   The real Q is whether they're a WC or division winner team. 

As for in-division - Fangio's able to get the most of our D, and in particular, often vs. KC the D gives up KC's lowest point totals for the season.    LAC we've somehow won games (maybe that goes away with HC Lynn and his catastrophic game management going away).   The reason why we lose is almost inevitably due to the O, and directly related to our QB problems.

Without a QB, we don't have a prayer of at least splitting, if not winning both games vs. LAC & KC - which will decide our division fate.   Give us A-Rod (or Watson, or even Stafford) - we'd be on equal footing. 

With a QB upgrade like Stafford/Watson/A-Rod - I'm comfortable projecting 11W+ with that schedule.    That's a playoff spot.  Whether we win a division & can go deeper, I get.   But the team is built to contend if it's got its QB.   Without a QB, we don't have prayer.   And FTR, I've bet against Denver most weeks (as the 'cappers know) by default, as I've said the team hasn't been in a position to be a legitimate contending position since 2016 season ended (and I've gotten a ton of grief for being one of the more pessmistic <I consider it realistic lol> posters in the DEN subforum on the team's chances as a whole each offseason), so take it FWIW.

Edited by Broncofan

On 5/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, Jakuvious said:

Courtland Sutton showed a lot in 2019, especially considering who he was catching passes from. Elite, probably not, but he's just gotten forgotten post-injury.

I think he had elite production, especially considering who was at QB. But for him to be elite, he needs to follow it up. I certainly think he's a WR1. Not like Funchess former #1 but a WR1. 😁

On 5/16/2021 at 2:52 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Why should we believe that when Rodgers hasn't been able to even get to the Super Bowl in 10 years with his own team?  If we're talking about Tom Brady, I'd buy it, because he has been to so many Super Bowls.  Rodgers, on the other hand, has shown that he can't put his team on his back when he needs to.  He can throw great passes, and he looks terrific against inferior competition, but against the league's best teams, he consistently comes up short.

GB's defenses have been gashed in their playoff loses. I'm not sure how that falls on Rodgers...