Starfield [Xbox|Bethesda, Sept 6, 2023]

Kiltman

On 10/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, Kiltman said:

I’m excited for it, every single thing that’s come out about it sounds very ambitious. Glad they seem to want to make it more rpg-y than the last two games.

Can you elaborate? This is why a big part of why I like Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas more than some of the newer Bethesda RPGs; I really like min-maxing and having more differentiation from character to character/playthrough to playthrough.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Can you elaborate? This is why a big part of why I like Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas more than some of the newer Bethesda RPGs; I really like min-maxing and having more differentiation from character to character/playthrough to playthrough.

We don’t know too much yet.

But apparently there will be more systems for you to balance but also your choices will have a bigger impact….like it wouldn’t be as much all roads lead to something. But I guess at the very least it will have different starting points to vary the journey at least.

If you played Cyberpunk or followed it at least, they had 3 distinct backgrounds that change how you came into the game and stuff that happened to you throughout. Reportedly that sort of thing will be in Starfield as well.

I think they probably saw “alternate start” was one of the most popular mods and figured they would back it into the next game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, Kiltman said:

Love that they are getting some the base lore out early, digging it all so far.

Honestly I need them to chill a bit because I am super impatient. I much prefer the new Nintendo approach of announcing a few months before release

Edited by JBURGE

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Honestly I need them to chill a bit because I am super impatient. I much prefer the new Nintendo approach of announcing a few months before release

I’m sure had it not been for the Xbox purchase they woulda just stayed mum, maybe do a reveal of some kinda at the game awards this year and a blowout next E3.

I think they’ll probably do some sort of teaser still at the game awards. Maybe the music or if there is an actor/actress they are bringing in like a lot of their past games.

But yeah a little over a year away, feels like forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Long interview, a lot about their process 

• The game is completely playable now but they're still doing some finishing touches and maybe some polishing as we approach a year of launch.
  • Todd said that Starfield was a "now or never" project after Fallout 4 implying that they really wanted to make the game. 
  • Heavy emphasis on the word "ambitious" as it is a new IP for them in a long time.
  • They consider it as their biggest leap engine wise ever since Oblivion since they will be upgrading it only for next gen.
  • Like with all their games they locked in music before a lot of things in the process to match the vibe and feel.
  • Skill wise Todd stated they'll be taking aspects from Skyrim and Fallout 4. Bethesda dna will be felt.
  • They are really confident on the release date. “-Written moreso in ink”
  • Todd also implied that there could be some social aspect to the game without the multiplayer thing.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I can't find it at the moment, but Todd did an AMA on Reddit yesterday. 

Here is the more pertinent parts

TL;DR:

• Gameplay Summer 2022
  • Robot companions, but my guess is like an additional companion, sorta like the mod that let you have dogmeat with another companion.
  • Character Creation will be deeper. Background and skills will matter a little more. Adding pronoun choice fully into recorded dialogue.
  • Mods will be important as always, I think some heavier integration is coming since its only Xbox Series and PC. They talk about it a lot.
  • They aren't rushing anything, have the time and budget to do this how they want. (Other day said they are basically polishing things this whole year and 11-11-2022 is pretty firm for the date)

Also, officially a year out from today!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Hi Todd!

Even after 10 years, I still consider Skyrim the gold standard of open-world single-player RPG experiences.

Does Starfield have any groundbreaking innovations that will set a high bar for the next generation of action RPGs, similar to what Skyrim has done this last decade?

Thank you for your amazing work!

A: We prefer to just show it, which should be next summer. We're happy with the advancements we've been able to make, some of which you can see in the trailer shot in-game.

Q: I've read that a goal of Starfield is that it will be more of a "hardcore RPG". Can you verify this and flesh that out in more detail?

Does that mean that the character creation will be more complicated like it was in Morrowind and Oblivion?

A: Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice.

Q: Good afternoon, Todd Howard! Did you know that the new Custom Worlds mode is much less popular than Nuclear Winter itself? Is Bethesda ready to bring Nuclear Winter back to the game and its players while it's still possible?

A: We're pretty passionate about giving our players tools to mod the games, and thus shifted our priorities to custom game worlds. More to come!

Q: Will there be any robot companions in Starfield?

A: Yes, kind of.

Q: You've repeatedly said tone is the first thing BGS prioritizes when designing a game. How do you pick a tone to build an entire game around? Are there conversations or even debates on what the tone should be? Also, how do you preserve tone across so many different areas of development especially the non-visual ones (such as npc dialogue) that can't pull so directly from your studio's excellent concept art?

A: Great question, and one we debate here often. Tone = world. What place would you want to explore? Why? Who would you be? What would you do? How does that pique your curiosity? How is that curiosity rewarded? We like mixing places with elements that you feel comfortable with or can relate to, alongside the fantastical.

Q: You lightly touched in your interview yesterday that you realize the clear issue of gaps between games in your franchises and know it is a problem. What is your plan (if any) to reduce the massive gaps of time between the games of your three franchises?

Also, I keep one of your quotes on a sticky note with me whenever I need it. “It’s not how you launch. It’s what it becomes.” Really helped me get through some stuff

A: Great question, we certainly understand that they do take a long time to get right. Ultimately quality matters most to us, and we're careful with resources and priorities.

also, we're hiring, so…

Q: What do you think of Fallout: New Vegas?

A: Great game, big fan of Obsidian and we have many friends there.

Q: Hey Todd!

Been a huge fan of your games since Oblivion. I've enjoyed every TES game back to Daggerfall, and Sank the entire last half of my childhood into Fallout 3. I've stayed up late on many nights preparing a long list of questions because I was so excited when this was announced, and spent a lot of time trimming them down from over 20 to 5 to not overwhelm you. Answering any of them would make my day!

⁠If I recall around Oblivion you made a comment you don't even code anymore. How has this changed your influence in directing games, and do you miss having a direct hand in development?

⁠Lore! What is your stance on retcons, and would you ever release a lore bible? There's a lot of fanon out there that fans confuse with canon, it would be helpful for us story writers and role players to have something more concrete; like a moon calendar for Khajiit breeds since the moons usually share a phase in game, or a detailed map including roads, minor towns, and topography. (Seriously, what IS the real shape and size of Tamriel? Is Nirn even a sphere?)

⁠Is the main quest of Skyrim more of a side quest to Elder Scrolls (The civil war being the main?) How many games have you written in advance?

⁠Do you keep the source files for all of your previous games? In Redguard, TES5 was labeled as Romanelli or something in the intro, and there was an oblivion PSP game that got cancelled, but on the loading screen, you can see an oblivion style map of High Rock and Hammerfell. Do you still have these files somewhere? Would you ever release the cut art assets?

⁠How DO you handle being the face of Bethesda? I couldn't handle it when some of the mean girls in high school didn't like me, I couldn't imagine having a large chunk of the internet jump onto a bandwagon sending hate my way, especially when their information is incorrect. What's your mental strategy?

A: Great list of questions and thanks for being here. I'll give you a summary thought. I'm really lucky to have started so long ago that I was able to get my hands in everything, from code to design to sound. It's helped me see the big picture and work with so many parts of the amazing team here at Bethesda. It's odd often to see my face on things, and while I understand it some, this is truly a massive team effort and I get way too much of the credit.

Q: In a 2018 interview with Dean Takahashi you mentioned that had Bethesda not acquired the rights to Fallout you would have made an original post-apocalyptic universe.

What ideas did you have for this universe and how would it have differed from Fallout?

Thank you for your hard work and ask Emil how he ages backwards.

A: It was called "Apocalypse Road" and had a great logo with a street sign.

I'll pass along to Emil, thanks!

Q: Hi Todd, Odah here. The guy who made a 50 page google doc. about the Starfield E3 2021 Trailer.

• ⁠I'm going to ask, has there ever been a point in Skyrim's development where you thought of adding climbable ladders to the game? • ⁠Also about that ladder in the Starfield trailer....will it be an animation (like holding E to climb up like in Mass Effect: Andromeda)?

Ladderfield needs to know.

A: Despite the advent of super-computers and next gen hardware - ladders are our arch-nemesis.

It's an animation, and we use sparingly.

Q: Hello, Todd! In this past year, we saw the rise of some impressive Machine Learning tools that synthetize human voice, using assets from Skyrim (and other Bethesda games) to generate new realistic voice lines. What do you think about this technology, in general? Do you have hope to use it in some future game? And do you think it will have a negative impact on the relationship between game studios and real voice actors?

A: We actually use such systems during development so we can play the game with voices, but there is no substitute for professional actors. They are a huge part of our development and are amazing partners in bringing these worlds to life.

Q: Since everyone's gonna ask: Any updates on TES6?

A: We know it's a long wait, we're with you. For Father's Day this year my son gave me a card that said, "You're an amazing Dad, but where's TES6?"

Q: Hi Todd! Is the Amazon's Fallout TV Series still in the work? Is there any chance you can give us some details? I'll buy an extra copy of Skyrim 🥺

A: Moving ahead. Really excited to be working with Jonah, Lisa, and Amazon on it.

Q: How has the release of Cyberpunk 2077 influenced your teams philosophy towards releasing games?

A: I can only speak to the issues we've had, such as Fallout 76. We let people down and were able to learn and be better from it.

We're fortunate 3 years later to have 76 be one of our most played games, and it's thanks to the 11 million players who have made it an incredible community.

It's made us much better developers in the end.

Q: Hey Todd! What type of mod support can we expect to see in creation kit engine 2 for Starfield?

A: Our plan it have full mod support like our previous games. Our modding community has been with us for 20 years. We love what they do and hope to see more make a career out of it.

Q: Hi Todd,

What sort of game would you make if you had an infinite budget and ten years of development time?

A: We're incredibly lucky to have the support of time and budget to make the games we want. So, all of them?

Q: Will Skyrim Anniversary run 60fps on ps5? Thanks Tood!

A: Yes, and same on Xbox Series X/S (different resolutions)

Q: I am currently playing Oblivion, any tips?

A: Pick acrobatics and jump constantly.

Q: There's a cut underwater Vault in Fallout 4- Vault 120. What was going to take place there?

Also, a whole lot of Fallout 4's map is underwater. Was there any content planned for it?

Thanks.

A: Unfortunate cut content. Bioshock style Vault. With massive sentient octopus living outside it.

Q: Hey Todd,

I recently became creative director on a decently sized mod project, so it had me curious. What's your favourite aspect of being in the role, and what kind of advice would you give to someone fairly new to that kind of position?

A: Give your team room to have their own ideas and creative impact. The best results are always from a team, and the best teams are the ones that feel safe to fail and try new ideas together.

Q: Todd! If you could be transported into any video game forever, what would it be and why?

A: Does Flight Simulator count?

• Like 1