Jump to content

Minnesota Vikings Defensive Line:


Ozzy
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Ah...that picture of Marshall, Page, Larsson and Eller brought a smile to my face this morning!!  I doubt the Vikings will ever have that kind of talent all across the d-line, with the longevity that the Purple People Eaters provided again.  But, let's hope this new generation gets close!

You can't really duplicate it in the era of free agency now, as they'd cost too much.  The closest we've had in my lifetime was the '89 defensive line with Noga, Doleman, Millard and Hank Thomas.   The line with Allen, Kevin, Phat Pat and Edwards was nice and they were dominant in stopping the run, but it wasn't really even close to the level of the '89 d-line in creating havoc. 

I think the best we can hope for with Zimmer's defensive style is that this group get close to that '09 group, but it would be oh so nice to duplicate that '89 defense.  

Edited by swede700
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

You can't really duplicate it in the era of free agency now, as they'd cost too much.  The closest we've had in my lifetime was the '89 defensive line with Noga, Doleman, Millard and Hank Thomas.   The line with Allen, Kevin, Phat Pat and Edwards was nice and they were dominant in stopping the run, but it wasn't really even close to the level of the '89 d-line in creating havoc. 

I think the best we can hope for with Zimmer's defensive style is that this group get close to that '09 group, but it would be oh so nice to duplicate that '89 defense.  

Noga, Doleman, Millar and Thomas was a monstrous unit. Sucks that they didn't stick together very long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Noga, Doleman, Millar and Thomas was a monstrous unit. Sucks that they didn't stick together very long.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Millard's knees failed him.  He would have been a sure-fire HOFer if they had held up.  Could you have imagined a line with Doleman and Randle on the outside (because I think Randle would have played DE a lot) and Millard and Thomas on the inside?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, swede700 said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Millard's knees failed him.  He would have been a sure-fire HOFer if they had held up.  Could you have imagined a line with Doleman and Randle on the outside (because I think Randle would have played DE a lot) and Millard and Thomas on the inside?  

I believe that had Millard been healthy we wouldn't be in such awe of what Aaron Donald has done. He's having the career Millard should have had.

Edited by TENINCH
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, AP_allday2869 said:

Jared Allen wasn't a Viking until 2008, but nice post!

Typo my mistake, the 6 and the 8 look alike from a distance.

 

On 5/17/2021 at 7:02 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Ah...that picture of Marshall, Page, Larsson and Eller brought a smile to my face this morning!!  I doubt the Vikings will ever have that kind of talent all across the d-line, with the longevity that the Purple People Eaters provided again.  But, let's hope this new generation gets close!

True, honestly that will probably never happen again in sports.  The success and accomplishments Marshall, Page and Eller had off the field is almost second to none in terms of NFL history.  They are all three wildly accomplished and successful outside of sports and are very great men, hard to get that kind of character on any sports team much less on the same team and all of them.  Curious if any of the Vikings DL can develop into leaders like that.  

 

Still in recent memory the Vikings have not had this many young guys who could turn out to become fine pros on the DL, especially at DE.  They have literally have four options at DE and most likely more than one will turn into being a fine pro, same with DT having Lynch and Twyman not to mention Scott who I think has great potential if Pierce does not work out.   Rarely do they have this kind of depth and talent, sure they will not all hit as prospects but with that many, some of them will.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

The Vikings just signed Sheldon Richardson to a 1 year deal worth 3.6 mil.  Also converted $5.6 mil of Danielle Hunter's contract into bonus clearing up that $3.7 mil which they used to sign Richardson.  So does that mean Hunter's contract hold up is ended and he is back at practice?  Either way what a freaking stacked DL the Vikings will have.  It was stacked before now with Richardson if he is in shape it just takes it up another level.

 

DE Danielle Hunter/ Patrick Jones II 
DT Michael Pierce / Sheldon Richardson / James Lynch
DT Dalvin Tomlinson/ Jaylen Twyman
DE Stephen Weatherly/ DJ Wonnum /  Janarius Robinson

 

With Richardson in the mix Watts could easily be let go, I would rather keep James Lynch but who knows what they do, and would hate to get rid of Twyman because not sure he clears waves.  Also sucks because I would have loved to keep Jordon Scott as well.  Still wow what a DL, especially if Jones, Wonnum or Robinson is a hit and sack man off the bench and sure at least one if not two of them will be a success next year and be quite productive.  Also Tomlinson is poised to have a career year in sacks no doubt about it, dude has skills.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping one of Patrick Jones or DJ wonnum emerges in training camp and preseason to solidify the starting spot opposite Danielle. Weatherly is solid depth but I can't say our D-line is elite without an excellent starter across from Hunter.

 

 

Edited by viking
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, viking said:

I'm really hoping one of Patrick Jones or DJ wonnum emerges in training camp and preseason to ****** the starting spot opposite Danielle. Weatherly is solid depth but I can't say our D-line is elite without an excellent starter across from Hunter.

 

 

True, and I probably should not have him listed as #1 DE opposite Hunter.  Still fact is one of those three guys will be awesome next year, there is almost zero chance none of them can get to the QB and be productive, they are all three way too talented but Weatherly is experienced and until someone takes the spot will see.  Still Wonnum, Jones and Robinson yeah someone will standout and it should not take long.  And if they all do poorly, which I doubt, I would not mind seeing James Lynch takes some snaps there at DE and see what he looks like.  That is 10 DL though, will be hard to keep them all and most likely Lynch, Hercules, Watts, Brailford will all be cut but will see.   Almost have to keep nine though so they donot cut Robinson or Twyman.  

 

Also his last two years in Minnesota, Weatherly had 60 tackles, 11 TFL, 17 QB hits, 6 sacks and 2 FF and only started 7 out of 32 games.  So it is not like he is awful or something, but sure did not fit or was not very good on Carolina last year in that different defensive system.

Edited by Ozzy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Watts is the odd man out, do you think he has any trade value at all?

I actually believe Watts will be kept over Lynch.  Lynch has shown nothing, while Watts is at least a competent backup.  Either way, Watts has no trade value, as he hasn't really done enough to warrant any compensation.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I actually believe Watts will be kept over Lynch.  Lynch has shown nothing, while Watts is at least a competent backup.  Either way, Watts has no trade value, as he hasn't really done enough to warrant any compensation.  

Agreed. I think Lynch is likely a candidate for the practice squad. 

The Vikings seem to have changed their approach to the defensive tackle position. This year we saw them essentially add 4 true defensive tackles, and no tweener types. In the past, they’ve had a history of drafting the DE/DT tweener looking for a pass rusher. Not the case this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did I hear that Richardson might get some camp snaps at DE, or am I imagining it?  While it would be ok for a camp experiment and possibly a way to move him around the DL, I can't imagine him playing DE permanently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Did I hear that Richardson might get some camp snaps at DE, or am I imagining it?  While it would be ok for a camp experiment and possibly a way to move him around the DL, I can't imagine him playing DE permanently. 

It's always a possibility...he played some DE out of the 3-4...while that's more like a DT than a true DE, it wouldn't surprise me to see if they at least experiment using him as a 4-3 DE in certain situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richardson is playing very light this year (for him), so I could see some instances where he moves outside for a snap or two. However, his true and best value will come from generating pressure up the middle. I suppose there could be a scenario where none of the young DE's seize the job on the other side of Hunter and Richardson could fill that void, but it doesn't really fit his skillset. He'd be great against the run out there, but I don't think he'd generate nearly as many QB pressures against Tackles. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...