Minnesota Vikings Defensive Line:

Ozzy

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

El Raymundo was great! 

Wasn't he the one with the Angelina Jolie Cans Theorem?

That's a name I haven't seen in a while... I always liked Enrage, too. Now we're starting to go wayyy back in the time machine.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 4

Talk about getting....

giphy.gif

Likelihood that Sheldon Richardson is the starter opposite Tomlinson, very.  Tomlinson is already arguably a more dominating solid run stopper than Michael Pierce and with the year off I do no have a ton of faith in Pierce just rips it up right away.  Also in the NFL of today having two solid run stopping DTs in a 4/3 is not that common or smart, might as well put Richardson next to Tomlinson and see what happens then put Pierce in when need be.  

Robinson is probably too raw to start or get much PT this year, but Patrick Jones I think could compete with Wonnum and Weatherly for the other starting DE spot.  Is a chance with Weatherly's familiarity with the defensive system and coaches, plus his really poor season last year, he comes in outstanding ready to prove he is still a good player.  Most likely that scheme fit for Carolina was not the best, especially in that 3/4 type defense having Weatherly be a OLB in that is not a great idea even though they go back and forth and are also considered a 4/3 at times, still with Shaq Tompson and Chinn both LBs but also safeties in terms of athletic ability and how they are used especially Chinn, and Weatherly was not going to see time with Reddick a better pass rusher and player, Burns on the other side with Gross-Matos off the bench.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I thought some not so good news had broke for a second

6fcf6487-b34f-4787-b4b7-bdfa97637cd4_tex

Guess not many people have watched Tommy Boy, I was referencing the topic of this thread and how it has went off for a bit...haha

Now if Kate Beckinsale is ever brought into the conversation, that in all cases is extremely on point and relevant!

Kate-Beckinsale-Gif.gif?fit=600,337

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

6fcf6487-b34f-4787-b4b7-bdfa97637cd4_tex

Guess not many people have watched Tommy Boy, I was referencing the topic of this thread and how it has went off for a bit...haha

Now if Kate Beckinsale is every brought into the conversation, that in all cases is extremely on point and relevant!

Kate-Beckinsale-Gif.gif?fit=600,337

That's one of my favorite movies.  I did get that the thread was derailed but I'm a little slow sometimes 

https://thevikingage.com/2021/07/01/minnesota-vikings-rumors-everson-griffen-desperate-return/?fbclid=IwAR2PJ53obrK8DFCgjK1WVEWEjnzNvOjU0nubhrO1s_rZUmXW26BdHWBwqjw

I would not be a huge fan of bringing Everson Griffen back just because of the comments he made about Cousins and even about Coach Zimmer when he called Griffen a good player and not a "great" player and Griffen took offense to that.  If he would have just said nothing I think the Vikings could easily bring him back just like they did Weatherly, and Griffen provides much more energy and juice than Weatherly does especially in the pass rush...

Will be curious what they do, also will be curious what Geno Atkins signs for and for how much, but Richardson did have some experience with the team but Zim knows Atkins as well from his days in Cinci.  Also will be curious if they pass on Griffen and sign Houston or Vernon instead.  Either way pretty nuts they are still adding guys, I still think you have to give some of these young guys a shot, if not then why did they draft them all?  Bring in another vet and one would have to cut a young DL like Robinson possibly and I would not be a fan of that one.  

I can see waiting to see how those young guys start doing in training camp before considering bringing Everson back...they could also keep him on speed dial in case of injuries.  I don't care what his comments about Cousins even were...Everson has always been erratic, and everyone knows it...they certainly know it. 

I've never had any interest in Atkins for this team, nor really any of those other options either.  The reality is that a young guy like Robinson might get cut anyway and go to the PS.   While they haven't often did that with 4th rd picks, they did with Willie Beavers.       

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I can see waiting to see how those young guys start doing in training camp before considering bringing Everson back...they could also keep him on speed dial in case of injuries.  I don't care what his comments about Cousins even were...Everson has always been erratic, and everyone knows it...they certainly know it. 

I've never had any interest in Atkins for this team, nor really any of those other options either.  The reality is that a young guy like Robinson might get cut anyway and go to the PS.   While they haven't often did that with 4th rd picks, they did with Willie Beavers.       

True but ripping on Zimmer was not a great idea for Griffen to do at all, if he would have not said a word either way he probably would already be back with the team and possibly they would have gave that money to him instead of giving it to Weatherly.

And cutting Janarius Robinson with the wrong assumption he would make it to the PS, which he would not clear waivers I believe.  Well that would be flat out stupid, they could have used that 4th round pick on a guy like Royce Newman who has potential for the Packers OL, or got a guy like Sherwood at safety who is a big time striker, Brevin Jordan at TE, Cade Sterns at safety, hell the kicker Evan McPherson but I am fine with Patterson from Memphis as a UDFA....either way they could have got a variety of different players if they do indeed just go out and cut Robinson.

Again one has to stop just stock piling young DLs and signing vets to take their place.  Sure if one could keep them all but they bring one more vet DE in the mix one of those guys are going to go which could be a mistake.  Willekes and Hercules most likely both get cut but I would be far more fine with them being cut because they could most likely make it on the PS unlike Robinson but will see how they look in the preseason.  

• Like 1

At this point I don’t see the point in signing Griffen. As @swede700 said, there’s not much sense in bringing Griffen back until the team has seen the young players not only in practice, but during preseason action as well. 

But, on top of that, does Griffen’s abilities warrant a return? I know everyone has fond memories of what Griffen did while he was here, but last year Griffen was a shell of himself. He’s likely best suited as a situational pass rusher, and I don’t look at this roster and see a need for that. They have players who should fill that role. If anything, they need a stout “starting” defensive end who can be counted on to set the edge and help control the LOS on 1st and 2nd down. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

At this point I don’t see the point in signing Griffen. As @swede700 said, there’s not much sense in bringing Griffen back until the team has seen the young players not only in practice, but during preseason action as well. 

But, on top of that, does Griffen’s abilities warrant a return? I know everyone has fond memories of what Griffen did while he was here, but last year Griffen was a shell of himself. He’s likely best suited as a situational pass rusher, and I don’t look at this roster and see a need for that. They have players who should fill that role. If anything, they need a stout “starting” defensive end who can be counted on to set the edge and help control the LOS on 1st and 2nd down. 

True I agree they should not sign Griffen and give one of the younger guys a chance. But I am saying if Griffen did not spout off they probably would have signed him over Weatherly who is coming off an injury and is not as effective of a pass rusher.   Griffen granted has diminished skills but the dude still had 6 sacks and 14 QB hits last year being in two different systems with Dallas and Detroit with limited playing time, and still got to the QB so in that regard he is far more effective than Weatherly.

I agree they need a stout DE who can set the edge but last time I checked Danielle Hunter can do that easily, they need another DE to take pressure off of Hunter and get after the QB.  But sure being a well rounded DE helps no question, and honestly one of the young guys will show up and take that spot opposite Hunter, no reason to think otherwise.  

Honestly though I would love to have Griffen over Weatherly honestly, but again Griffen said those things and I think that might put him out all together because of those comments.  Be part of an organization your entire career, then get released and rip on that organization and or say things that he probably should not have said, not the best choices for a guy that wanted to come back to the team.  Guess he was trying to hurt them like they hurt him or something, either way he made a mistake with those comments.  

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree. It’s time to move on. I prefer seeing the young DEs play and I think it will be okay since there are veterans everywhere in the defense to help with the learning curve. Griffen is erratic right now, which likely is why he’s still unsigned. Seems for his sake, perhaps it’s time to call it a career.